• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Off to Maine for season

Riding from home yesterday in the UP of Michigan.

16381.jpeg

Twin Pines or NEOC is a great place to stay if you're a big group. Real nice cabins and as OCD says, the restaurant is good. Stress-free Moose in downtown Greenville is a good take for lunch. There's a few places around town to gas up. Then there's the old go to for a lunch stop....the Birches in Rockwood. They have gas and cabins to rent. Wildwoods restaurant in Brownville has very good food, plus they also have cabins for rent. There's Probly too many quality places to list from Rangeley to Millinocket and gas is rarely an issue. Once up past Shin pond options for food and gas start to diminish quite a bit

I went on 4 weather reports this morning & i'm only seeing 1 to 3 inches by New Years.
I'm delaying trip for a week

Good call StevewithOCD. Sounds like some Northern areas like Madawaska did retain some snow and now have a rock hard base, but are in need of a storm or two for sure.

Thanks for advising and adding to the spots mentioned in and around Your Millinocket riding area.

Trailered out of Patten and Shin Pond last year and back packed it towards the Northern reaches of the county, and did pass by the Libby’s sign on our way, and have heard from many about Libby’s but have yet to stop in and take a peek.

Do they have all 3, lodging, food and fuel!

Good call StevewithOCD. Sounds like some Northern areas like Madawaska did retain some snow and now have a rock hard base, but are in need of a storm or two for sure.

Thanks for advising and adding to the spots mentioned in and around Your Millinocket riding area.

Trailered out of Patten and Shin Pond last year and back packed it towards the Northern reaches of the county, and did pass by the Libby’s sign on our way, and have heard from many about Libby’s but have yet to stop in and take a peek.

Do they have all 3, lodging, food and fuel!

Yes

How did northern Maine fair with the rain Saturday? Anything left?
I don't live in Maine but I'm close in Woodstock NB. We got hammered pretty hard by rain, most the snow in fields is gone except for the edges. The woods trails still have around a foot of snow, but were done sledding until we get a couple good dumps of snow here. Wooded only trails should be rideable with 1 good storm so long as there aren't many open areas to cross.

I just went up to camp in Jackman, and from the Forks north, they did retain a base of snow, but nothing that would be rideable. The consensus appears to be that a fresh 6-12" will put them back in business; unfortunately, that amount of snow is not in the current forecasts. Looks like I will be home while my wife watches Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel. lol

How did northern Maine fair with the rain Saturday? Anything left?
Beat us bad,whole state,we are getting some in southern maine now,and maybe midstate and some of northern maine may be a little blast tomorrow,but not much in our forcast for the next couple weeks,but they did need the cold to tighten things up,generally when we get early snow,with marginal cold,it leads to this,and generally turns around by New Year. We need cold weather,than snow will stay,and swamps and wet areas will button up tight.

Got a few inches of snow in bowdoin today, no trails rideable but it's a start
Ya hi brother,snowing hard in Waterboro,but all it is for me down here is nice for Christmas,and I love white Christmas,but sure hope it gets white up north again,not planning on heading up now until mid jan,sure hoping by than its white,not wet lol.

1st flight to Maine next Monday. Hoping for snow but not enough to cancel my flight. Can't wait to squeeze to the trigger.
I think by Monday and beyond you will be ok,this sat calling temps in the 40 degree range and rain,wife and I were going up fri,and had a club meeting on sat evening,but now she is not happy about the weather,so wait till next wend the 15th,try again.

1st flight to Maine next Monday. Hoping for snow but not enough to cancel my flight. Can't wait to squeeze to the trigger.
I can't speak specifically for Greenville, but there has been some good riding in that general area. You have to pick your spots, trails and destinations. On Sunday, after about 3" of fresh snow, the Jackman trails and the northern half of the Coburn Mountain trails were excellent, particularly east of Rte. 201. Pittston Farm has been grooming, and they are generally in the "snow belt," so they should be decent. I suspect that the trails around Greenville proper, and Rockwood, could be pretty thin. Good luck, and enjoy!

Flew to Portland this am. 60 miles once I got into town. The area survived the rain. Light snow today. Very little lube on Moosehead Lake lots of overheating by the 800 Cat and Ski donkeys. A little by me too but not enough to shut down and stop. Jo Mary or Jackman tomorrow. Maybe off to QC Wed. Will data log tomorrow. Geaux Tigers.

Back