• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

**Official Clutch Rattle Removal Thread w/ Pics**

But the MAIN source of the rattle is in the splines
Agree 100%. Keep us posted on your endeavors!

There currently is not an aftermarket clutch, quiet kit, etc, that will eliminate the rattle generated by the PTO stub shaft / crankshaft splines. Only exception is the dampening shaft offered by Hurricane Performance for the 998, but not compatible with the 973 or 1050.

Splines rattling with an aftermarket clutch that does not have traditional flyweights, rollers or bushings:

Splines rattling with all internal components removed from aftermarket clutch:

Splines rattling without a clutch mounted to the stub shaft at all:

Last edited:

Agree 100%. No aftermarket clutch, quiet kit, etc will eliminate the rattle generated by the PTO stub shaft / crankshaft splines.

Keep us posted on your endeavors!

Splines rattling with an aftermarket clutch that has no rollers, flyweights or bushings:

Slines rattling with all internal components removed from aftermarket clutch:

Splines rattling with no clutch mounted to the stub shaft at all:
Yep that is the good.. quality and nice... motor sound from Yamaha!

Hard to believe I started this thread 6 years ago, and it's still getting attention!

As of lately everyone seems to think the rattle is from the roller bolts. But this is only one source. Easily eliminated with a o-ring under the nut.
The other source is from the plastic spider paws, and the o-rings behind them. Easily eliminated by taking the clutch apart and replacing paws/o-rings.
But the MAIN source of the rattle is in the splines, hence the loctite idea, which only worked for a few rides unfortunately.

I'm going to be testing a new idea, a mechanical solution, that I hope will work, I've been waiting to get around to it the past couple years.
I'll post an update but will be in January, I want to test it before I get too excited and we currently have no snow.
My experience was 50%+ of the noise I could hear idling was coming from the flyweights rattling on their pin and the rollers rattling with the sleeves being too long. Shimming those two areas quieted things down a lot, enough that it was not a noise others would comment about. Keep us posted on the spline rattle, videos were interesting, is the spline actually loose,from too much play, hard to tell from videos. Good threads don't die... Nice start six years ago!

Ok bringing this up again, has anybody seen any unusual wear on the splines from the rattling? The noise I can live with, just want to make sure it's not a durability issue. The splines are exposed to engine oil but not sure how much oil can actually weep into the threads to keep them from scrubbing themselves away? I might do my bearing soon just to say I did it and forget about it for another 10k miles.

Ok bringing this up again, has anybody seen any unusual wear on the splines from the rattling? The noise I can live with, just want to make sure it's not a durability issue. The splines are exposed to engine oil but not sure how much oil can actually weep into the threads to keep them from scrubbing themselves away? I might do my bearing soon just to say I did it and forget about it for another 10k miles.
Interesting, the noise you hear is even without the primary installed. The noise I had or a large part of it was related to rattling around the arm bolts... still solid after 1500 miles and relatively rattle free.

Beenba any update on you mechanical solution, anxiously waiting?

Never got around to it sorry folks. I only get to ride the thing for 2 months a year and just cant seem to find the time.

Mine is still relatively rattle free, the loud knock is gone with the SB quiet clutch kit washers... Inexpensive fix to annoying sounds at idle, going on year 3 now.

Mine really rattled, but I’ve got 21,000km on mine and can’t be bothered to dick around with it. Had the clutches apart and all looked good. If it gets annoying I’ll just throw an exhaust on there to drown the rattle lol.

Mine really rattled, but I’ve got 21,000km on mine and can’t be bothered to dick around with it. Had the clutches apart and all looked good. If it gets annoying I’ll just throw an exhaust on there to drown the rattle lol.
I like the exhaust idea! The SB little washers and new rollers made a huge difference, tightened it all up... Not sure the noise harms anything but is annoying at idle...

After 9 yrs...I don't hear it anymore. But I do hear a lot of...braaaaap!

Is this normal?

My experience was 50%+ of the noise I could hear idling was coming from the flyweights rattling on their pin and the rollers rattling with the sleeves being too long. Shimming those two areas quieted things down a lot, enough that it was not a noise others would comment about. Keep us posted on the spline rattle, videos were interesting, is the spline actually loose,from too much play, hard to tell from videos. Good threads don't die... Nice start six years ago!
Not a Nytro, but on my '05 Vector the spindles for the arms are locked in place with set screws and I can feel no end play in the arms. The shafts for the rollers are definitely too long, so the flanges on the bolt-head and nut can slap against the aluminum casting as the shafts slide around at low rpm. It seems to me that any soft shims (o-rings or rubber washers) have to be loose enough to be squeezed out from between the nut/bolt flanges but tight enough to stay in place, which is probably why this fix only lasts a season or so. I would guess the shafts are long for a reason but this seems excessive. Has anyone tried shortening them?

Has anyone tried shortening them?
Yes, to no avail. I actually ground down the length of my original, stock clutch pins, as you mentioned, but it didn't help.

I ultimately discovered that it wasn't the primary clutch internals that were rattling on on my Vector. It was the PTO stub shaft splines.

There are two types of rattles associated with these sleds:

1) Clutch component rattle
2) PTO stub shaft rattle

While the quiet clutch kits, mentioned in this thread, may help internal rattle (spider, rollers, etc.), they do nothing for PTO stub shaft rattle.

Scroll back to post #242 and view the videos.

Last edited:

Back