• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

BTW my skis sit perfectly with the bergstrom skinny 1/8 shims....this is after my rubbers set in about 4 months and 550 miles.

Basically free from Scott.

Dan

BTW my skis sit perfectly with the bergstrom skinny 1/8 shims....this is after my rubbers set in about 4 months and 550 miles.

Basically free from Scott.

Dan

I just had some 1/8” ones lasered; going to install this weekend I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the 3/8 shims for about 500 miles and I am seeing more carbide wear on the back end with this shim. I’m going to go back to the 1/4 shim and stay with that. I think as of right now this is the best solution.

Mike

I tried the 3/8 shims for about 500 miles and I am seeing more carbide wear on the back end with this shim. I’m going to go back to the 1/4 shim and stay with that. I think as of right now this is the best solution.

Mike

Same here, But I went to 1/8''.

I posted a few posts up....I pulled the 3/8" and went to a 'STOCK BERGSTROM SHIM' of 1/8" thickness, and the skis really seem to lay nicely now on concrete.

IMO new pilot installs should start with NO SHIM(as per the original post-page 1) and then after some miles and keeping eye on things, may move to 1/8 shims IF/WHEN the soft rubbers start to "set in".

Dan

Same here, But I went to 1/8''.

I posted a few posts up....I pulled the 3/8" and went to a 'STOCK BERGSTROM SHIM' of 1/8" thickness, and the skis really seem to lay nicely now on concrete.

IMO new pilot installs should start with NO SHIM(as per the original post-page 1) and then after some miles and keeping eye on things, may move to 1/8 shims IF/WHEN the soft rubbers start to "set in".

Dan
I agree as the soft rubber does set in with more miles. Are the cat rubbers holding up better. Any one have feedback on them?

I agree as the soft rubber does set in with more miles. Are the cat rubbers holding up better. Any one have feedback on them?
I was not a big fan of how they sat in the pilots, but heck anything can work. I think cause Im testing with the SW rubbers, i will see it thru, as they will stop sacking in sooner or later.

Shimming is quite critical on All pilot skis. It always has been, as they are a short carbide Banana shape runner, which tends to rely on the rubber alot to keep things wearing evenly.

Scott Bergstrom came up with his shims for pilots many many yrs ago.

Dan

You'll end up with 3/8" shims after 2000 miles!

When I got a good look at mine, I noticed something.

A massive "imprint" of my 3/8" shim into the bottom of soft stock rubber.

I think what we are seeing is the shims push into the rubber, and that is why Id like to see people start with NO SHIM initially. And then watch it and add IF needed over time.

So far Brent is the only one who needed alot thicker ones, and so things from one setup to the next may cause these differences. So we just will watch, and hopefully guys will continue to post up their wear patterns and what they are using for shims, so we can come to a good consensus.

Still love the pilots for best overall handling, lightest effort,flotation, and Anti-darting ability. There is no other ski out there with powder floatation and dual carbide that I know of, and this is why the 6.9 covers many bases. And a big carbide will allow for good carving on hardpack.

Dan

Dan, Put my pilots in last night. We are all ice around here so I have a little down time. Just cut the rubbers with no shims and the skis seem to sit perfect front up slightly. Hopefully we get some snow on top of the ice soon so I can try these bad boys out. Thanks for the great directions.

Dan, Put my pilots in last night. We are all ice around here so I have a little down time. Just cut the rubbers with no shims and the skis seem to sit perfect front up slightly. Hopefully we get some snow on top of the ice soon so I can try these bad boys out. Thanks for the great directions.
Great to hear....watch them as they settle in.

I know when I did the original install on Toms, I checked them quite alot as I was concerned about wear and shimming. And his still seems good for wear.

Just like any stock doo, Pilots typically wear toward front always. Not sure why BRP has not address this ever. This was why Scoto Bergstrom came up with the pilot shims way back when. And so there are thousands and thousands of DOO owners who never shim and just replace wear bars, even if they wear too much in front. Many of the OCD guys like myself had been shimming stock DOO sleds for yrs with Scotts 1/8" shims on 2 strokes, and Scotts 1/4" shims on 4strokes....So it seems to me the winder setup I have done here, really is no different.

I think most guys will end up with a 1/8" shim over time, and maybe increase to a 1/4" after a season or two. And even Scott would tell us to install new rubbers as they sack overtime on the DOOs, and those are rock hard. So Its just one of these things we need to be aware of if we are picky about or handling and wear over time.

I know my 6.9s have severals seasons on them now, they went 2 seasons on my 4tec doo, and now another on the Winder, and they are getting worn.....So I may be replacing them by next season. I may even consider 5.7s as they are so cheap in the kit, and since it seems we barely get any deep snow anymore these past few seasons, the wider ski's are not really doing a ton for me.

Dan

Great to hear....watch them as they settle in.

I know when I did the original install on Toms, I checked them quite alot as I was concerned about wear and shimming. And his still seems good for wear.

Just like any stock doo, Pilots typically wear toward front always. Not sure why BRP has not address this ever. This was why Scoto Bergstrom came up with the pilot shims way back when. And so there are thousands and thousands of DOO owners who never shim and just replace wear bars, even if they wear too much in front. Many of the OCD guys like myself had been shimming stock DOO sleds for yrs with Scotts 1/8" shims on 2 strokes, and Scotts 1/4" shims on 4strokes....So it seems to me the winder setup I have done here, really is no different.

I think most guys will end up with a 1/8" shim over time, and maybe increase to a 1/4" after a season or two. And even Scott would tell us to install new rubbers as they sack overtime on the DOOs, and those are rock hard. So Its just one of these things we need to be aware of if we are picky about or handling and wear over time.

I know my 6.9s have severals seasons on them now, they went 2 seasons on my 4tec doo, and now another on the Winder, and they are getting worn.....So I may be replacing them by next season. I may even consider 5.7s as they are so cheap in the kit, and since it seems we barely get any deep snow anymore these past few seasons, the wider ski's are not really doing a ton for me.

Dan

does the kit come with the doo rubbers? any disadvantage to the 5.7 over the 6.9's other than the millions that are out there?

does the kit come with the doo rubbers? any disadvantage to the 5.7 over the 6.9's other than the millions that are out there?
My kit came with handles , Doo rubbers, big attachment bolt and washers and nuts, rivets for the handles, and 4 inch expedition carbides which I moved to the outside. I didn't bother with the rivets and went with SS hardware to attach the handles. I followed Dan's directions . The 5.7's will be fine for me since I do very little deep snow riding. They are actually a little wider than those shitty tuners!
https://www.amazon.com/Ski-Doo-8602...&qid=1517144167&sr=8-8&keywords=pilot+5.7+kit

For those Canucks who might be interested, the Amazon.com link provided above states that it doesn't ship to Canada. Fortunately, the same kit lists for $325 from the Canadian Skidoo dealers, so it's actually about the same or better price if you factor in exchange and shipping on a US purchase.

Sj, If I recall the 5.7 "kit" is a great bargain as it comes with alot. Dealer used to blow these kits out at 199 only but might be more now? It includes the stock 4" square bars which is nice to install into outers, and handles, rivets to attach handles(although I used SS bolts) and even mounting bolts and I do believe rubbers possibly.

Not many miles so far this year we have been at stand still with conditions recently so might be trailering to Qc soon. Will see how my 4 season old 6.9s hold up.

Dan

Back