• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

IMO the 6.9 is still not being made. I hear from the odd dealer they can now get them again. But 3 yrs or so ago, they all showed as being discontinued.

So I believe these are all just old stock, and so dealers who know how to get them(very few it seems) gets them but they are just scrounging old stock. Interesting for one to come with a handle already installed.

Dan

I called the Ski Doo dealers in Kingston and Perth (Ontario) on Saturday and both indicated they could still order the 6.9 Pilots. Not sure if they're new or old stock, but both said they were currently listed and abailable. Perth Powersports and Marine had all the parts in stock, so I took a drive up today and bought skis, loops, rivets, and the 4" - 7/16"bar carbides for the outside edges (still debating on what to use for the center carbide). Given that they knew I was putting them on a Yamaha, they treated me really well and even gave me a 15% discount (skis were a bit dirty but new, so we called it the dirty ski discount - they applied it to all parts). With that discount off list price, it works out very close to buying in the US and paying the exchange, not to mention there are no shipping and/or customs handling fees. nor potential border delays. They also have a really good selection of the LinQ luggage as well, which may be my next purchase. I highly recommend them for anyone in Eastern Ontario looking to pick up 6.9's or LinQ products. Ask for Derek.

3/8" shim seems to be the ticket guys. went for a 100 mile rip this aft. carbides seem to show even wear front to back. mission accomplished!

3/8" shim seems to be the ticket guys. went for a 100 mile rip this aft. carbides seem to show even wear front to back. mission accomplished!
So odd......I wonder why yours wears so differently then mine does? Mine with my 3/8'' is too thick. Only thing I can attribute this to, is your sled is older and rubbers may have more set in.

I will have to change mine to 1/4" thick...see pic below, mine wearing bigtime out back. Everyone will need to shim, and watch your carbides to decide thickness....IMO 1/4" should work for most everyone.

These below in pic have two seasons of miles on them, but only 550 miles on this sled with 3/8" shims. I will be going to 1/4" and that should get me closer to where I want.

Dan
IMG_1188.JPG

Hey TY gang....

Been awhile since I've really wrote much of anything over here. Spent 2006 though 2013 in the Apex forums and then jumped over to try a turbo from Cat, and 14 went back over to Doo and now have my 2016 4tec. So its been fun being all over and have come away with lots of good/bad from other brands.

Back in 06 with the Apex handling quirks, the pilot ski had just be designed and was new, the 5.7 pilot at the time transformed the Apex into a real nice tight trail 'railer' and it cured the inside ski lift that model was known for.

In 2012 when I got my cat turbo(procross chassie) I did not like the heavy darting that came with that sled out of the box, so i decided to go back to my 'staple' ski, the pilot 5.7, which I pulled off my apex for a test, and sure enough that cat became an ultra nice handler, no darting and light effort.

On my current 1200 4tec doo, which is ultra rider forward XS chassie, I decided to try out the pilots but this time in the 6.9 version, as the extra flotation is really welcomed on the 4tec with the extra nose weight being an extreme rider forward design, and the results impressed me. Not only incredible in powder making the 4s feel fun and playful(2s like) but also being even BETTER on trail then the 5.7, as the 6.9 has a wider unique distance between the two carbides when compared directly to the ultra popular 5.7 pilot.

So last week my local buddy out of the blue tells me he has a new Sidewinder LTX LE, and Im welcome to come ride it! Ive been lurking since Chris Reid released the info last winter on the SW engine, as most of us 4tec guys have been wanting a BRP turbo but it seems their cash cow will always rule. Needless to say, getting some seat time on a new SW was incredible.

New LE 137 was right out of the box stock, Tom is not the type to do alot of tinkering himself but was open to me making some suggestions. After the 110 mile ride, I was SOLD 100% on this new engine configuration and how it makes the power so smoothly, this is pure Yammie and really puts the old ZUK to shame in many ways. Impressive!

The handling I felt needed work, being nose heavy and steering that was far too heavy, and little to no transfer(no studs yet either). I immediately thought of the 6.9s to make this chassie steering feel better.

So Tom ordered them up, St.Onge happened to have a pair there so we got all the goods needed, as I had all the part numbers and specifics. I will try to include all the info here as Ive got quite a few PMs both here and on DooTalk on this setup. I took a ton of pics of every step, along with going over the entire sled with fine tooth comb since I may become an owner of one....quite a nice package here, and you can see yammies hands are all over this new gem.

Part numbers for pilot 6.9s.....

QTY- BRP Part Number

1 - #505073056 RH 6.9 Ski
1 - #505073055 LH 6.9 Ski

2 - #505070963 Ski handle
2 - #860200525 Ski handle rivets(A better solution is SS bolts/Nuts-Will post sizes )
1 - #860200580 BRP Executive 8" 60 degree 1/2" round host bar carbide(for center)
1- #860201044 BRP 4" square 7/16" host bar for outers(or move from center to outer)

Another great thing about this setup, is it not only is the best setup overall IMO, but also is by far the cheapest when compared to aftermarket skis. BRP dealers can now order them again as they have become an available item after being discontinued....Here Leaders sells them on ebay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ski-Doo-New-...32c2694:g:-Q8AAOSwUuFWzTeM&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

I run 5" BRP "extreme bars on my 1200 setup which works well, we got the larger 7.5" executive series as this chassies does not suffer from the quirks of the XS DOO chassie and seems to do well with more carbide where the doo does not. The extremes will work well too no doubt, but Tom opted for the 7.5"(BRP calls them 8")

I nearly forgot the conclusion....after many adjustments to alot, this new LE LTX now feels like I added EPS, and is NOW simply a pleasure to ride. Absolutely the best improvement to this chassie is to drop the stock ski, and slap on some pilot 6.9s, your arms and wallet will appreciate it!

Dan

View attachment 125265View attachment 125266View attachment 125273View attachment 125267

I ordered ski above but numbers embossed in plastic are different. The ski look the same but are they? Or are they equivalent #’s

Attachments

• 3B1C66E1-5F42-42E9-819E-A85A397BE513.jpeg
    3B1C66E1-5F42-42E9-819E-A85A397BE513.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 3A6D86F8-A396-4F9D-BD94-FE40F85FAA11.jpeg
    3A6D86F8-A396-4F9D-BD94-FE40F85FAA11.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 65BD6233-5EBF-4D66-BE09-E67A0BEDC049.jpeg
    65BD6233-5EBF-4D66-BE09-E67A0BEDC049.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 177
I ordered ski above but numbers embossed in plastic are different. The ski look the same but are they? Or are they equivalent #’s
I think it's safe to say they're the same (and the correct) ski. I bought a pair from old stock at a dealer - the tag is labelled Feb 2011 - and they have exactly that same part number molded into the ski that you show in your pics. It's not unusual to have multiple or cross-referenced part numbers on components for a variety of reasons. I have attached a few pics of mine ... haven't had time to clean the years of dust off and install them yet, but you'll see the same part number on the sticker as Dan posted, as well as the same (different) part number on the ski that you have. Look on the opposite side of the spindle attachment area and you'll also probably see yet more molded-in code numbers/letters (mine shows DS019N/M2) which I suspect is a combination date code/mold number sequence.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 199
Yeah there is a great post somewhere yrs ago....and I think possibly Bergstrom also has it posted....where all the different pilot numbers are on one chart. All the yrs of pilots being updated and tweaked, but overall they have remained the same.

If you have a pilot 6.9, then you got the right ones....they are approx 6-3/4" wide if i recall. Easily distinguishable from the narrow 5.7 on most all doos.

Dan

Decided on the pilot 5.7 since I do very little deep snow riding. All my stuff should come in this week. I got the 5.7 kit with all hardware and 2- 4inch carbides from Amazon and the 8 inch Woodys executive from CB Performance parts (cheapest around and a site sponsor). I also ordered some AC rubbers @$8.60 ea from Babbits. My total was 360.49 with shipping on the carbides and AC rubbers. I will now have 3 sets of rubbers to play with but plan on going with the AC rubbers from what I have read in this post.

I was all set on going with AC skis since I knew someone who had a pair cheap but he sold them before I could try them. I guess anything is better than these dangerous Tuners!!! I have tried every suspension setting to make them better and they still suck!! It is embarrassing not being able to keep up with old sleds on the trail because they push so badly!

So odd......I wonder why yours wears so differently then mine does? Mine with my 3/8'' is too thick. Only thing I can attribute this to, is your sled is older and rubbers may have more set in.

I will have to change mine to 1/4" thick...see pic below, mine wearing bigtime out back. Everyone will need to shim, and watch your carbides to decide thickness....IMO 1/4" should work for most everyone.

These below in pic have two seasons of miles on them, but only 550 miles on this sled with 3/8" shims. I will be going to 1/4" and that should get me closer to where I want.

Dan
View attachment 135910

Yeah buddy, 2000miles on it now. I imagine you will end up using the 3/8 shim down the road

Got mine from Leaders also.
Right skis. I think they are different nos...new old stock.
One of the skis had a recessed hole where the ski loops mounted and the bushings where they mount were different.
One ski the bushings were a little larger diameter, not the the hole in the ski, just the bushing.
Used a few 5/16" washers on the ski with the recessed bolt hole for the loops.
Did 570 miles in St Zenon last week, the pilot 6.9s worked great. Steering a bit heavy and too much ice to crank center spring.
Going to the Delta in Saguenay next week, will see how it is after a little more spring pressure.

Anyone try snowtrackers on these skis? Just curious how it would be

SHIMS

I think anyone starting off new with the pilots and stock SW rubbers, should start with the original setup.

my 3/8 shims were way too much, and I am going to modify them heavily today and follow the new progress.

Only thing I can assume is, these SOFT stock SW rubbers must really sack in alot over a time period, but for me so far...I really do NOT need any shim.

So I would start without shim and then watch your wear over time....and if yours wears fine, then leave it....but if it starts to sack the rubber and wearing out front, then start with a 1/4" shim but watch the wear and how they sit when installed.

I will keep updating this with my own actual progress over time with shim and carbide wear.

Dan

Last edited:
SHIMS

I think anyone starting off new with the pilots and stock SW rubbers, should start with the original setup.

my 3/8 shims were way too much, and I am going to modify them heavily today and follow the new progress.

Only thing I can assume is, these SOFT stock SW rubbers must really sack in alot over a time period, but for me so far...I really do NOT need any shim.

So I would start without shim and then watch your wear over time....and if yours wears fine, then leave it....but if it starts to sack the rubber and wearing out front, then start with a 1/4" shim but watch the wear and how they sit when installed.

I will keep updating this with my own actual progress over time with shim and carbide wear.

Dan

Mine are not shimmed Dan and my carbides are wearing even. this is after 1500 miles.
IMG_2471.JPG

**IMPORTANT**
We have seen one member with shaper bars show heavy wear at the FRONT of his carbides. His sled is a 17. We think the stock soft rubbers may "set in" or "sack" over time. In his case, he added some shims and his setup seems to be better, but he needs more time to watch the wear.

I did my own test(only 550 miles) and with shims added, mine wore too much in BACK of carbides. So in my case the shim was too much, and not needed at all.

We are not sure exactly the differences from his sled to mine, with exception of his is older and may have the rubbers sacked into the pilot pocket more.

My suggestion for new pilot installs, is to follow the original rubber instructions in the Original post. Trimming the rubbers ect as shown here. Run the setup for a couple hundred miles and be sure to check your carbide wear as much as possible in the first couple hundred miles. If your carbides show even wear, with the skis running nicely parallel to the ground then leave it alone. If you show wear at the front of carbide then add some 1/4 shims(Bergstrom). This may be something that needs to be updated as time/miles goes along. What works on season 1, may need slight shimming by season 2 as the rubbers sack/conform into the pilot pocket.

Please post your results in this thread and over time we will have a good handle on the shimming.

Dan

Back