• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Good question - I need to get out and measure inside width on the trailer with the cover down, but I think it's around 98". So if it the sled with the pilots are no more than 49" give or take, it shouldn't be an issue. If and when you have a moment to take a measurement, that would be very much appreciated.

Maybe my head is thick with the cold this morning but I'm not sure how this ties in with the reference to the rollover valve - is there something I'm missing here?
I just measured mine. I have mine set to widest ski stance too.

RTX with Pilot 6.9 = 50 inches from outside to outside edge of skis(Total width)

Dan

Thanks very much, Dan! That is exactly what I needed to know. It's going to be a bit tight with two sleds in the trailer and may require a bit of ski over ski, but if necessary I can shim up one of the inner ski guides so one ski is elevated over the other to avoid interference.

By the way, I spent an hour or so this afternoon (when I should have been working) going through your build thread. There's some really nice design work there - both mechanical and graphic (spoken from one who has practiced and taught engineering for 36 years!). You've turned it into a rockin' customized sled... thanks for sharing all your efforts!

Thanks very much, Dan! That is exactly what I needed to know. It's going to be a bit tight with two sleds in the trailer and may require a bit of ski over ski, but if necessary I can shim up one of the inner ski guides so one ski is elevated over the other to avoid interference.

By the way, I spent an hour or so this afternoon (when I should have been working) going through your build thread. There's some really nice design work there - both mechanical and graphic (spoken from one who has practiced and taught engineering for 36 years!). You've turned it into a rockin' customized sled... thanks for sharing all your efforts!
Thanks Brother! ;)

Also remember you can make the stance narrower on these sleds, but I like the widest setting.

Keep us posted if they fit!

Dan

On hardpack, this thing rails period....Its all in the setup as usual, but nothing else will be close to power steering like a pilot.

Anything will push in soft/powder. I dont think these push much worse then many others.

Having both 5.7's & 6.9's I always felt the 6.9's pushed a touch more than 5.7s. Who knows.

Super happy with 5.7's on Sidewinder. Just bought another set today. Have them on tomorrow. And yes Dan. I'll be shimming them.

Having both 5.7's & 6.9's I always felt the 6.9's pushed a touch more than 5.7s. Who knows.

Super happy with 5.7's on Sidewinder. Just bought another set today. Have them on tomorrow. And yes Dan. I'll be shimming them.
Agree, the 6.9 will always push more the 5.7

Both work well for sure on these chassie. I dont think there is another ski that does everything so well. Least trade offs of all the skis IMO.

I was installing my Pilots last night. I trimmed the 2" off the backside of the rubber. However, could not get the bolt through. I even warmed the rubbed a while. I got the bolt in the outside and with the sled on the ground, still needed like a 1/4" on the inside. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I used a ratchet strap around the ski and up to the a-arm, seemed to work pretty good. Just use a rag to protect any paint.

I have the 6.9 Pilots on my SW L-TX-LE 50th. I have the BRP Executive 8" carbides. Has anyone tried to replace these carbides with the Bergstrom K27 8" Triple Points? Would this help with a studded sled in pushing through corners? I ran Bergstroms on my Apex and they were great.

Thanks,

Fred

Dan, any chance there is a dimensioned instruction for the SkiDoo rubber mod, .

5.7's are structurally different than 6.9's under the rubber. Even looking at rubber. No sag in the middle. There's also an 1/8" x 1/2" nub in the rear center. Kinda acts like a shim. Not easy to see in pic.

IMG_20180105_191605574-640x380.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 6.9 Pilots on my SW L-TX-LE 50th. I have the BRP Executive 8" carbides. Has anyone tried to replace these carbides with the Bergstrom K27 8" Triple Points? Would this help with a studded sled in pushing through corners? I ran Bergstroms on my Apex and they were great.

Thanks,

Fred
While the TPs from Scott are an ultra long lasting carbide. I found in testing that the thing I hate about TPs is that once the center point of carbide wears, and the entire 3 point become a square bottom carbide, they are not really good, as they will not turn at all on roads or icy surfaces....sure they last forever, but once they dont turn I dont want them.

If you are pushing more then you like with a large 1/2" host bar carbide, you wont gain anything with different carbides, as most all of them are same host bar size. Host bar is what turns in powder, carbide length underneath is more about wear and turning on ice/roads ect.

I would start to play with setup then.....With more studs you need more pressure on skis for bite. Try adding some COIL PRESSURE to your front ski coils. You would do this by adding length to the measurement from the top of coil, to the top of shock. My stock measurement here is 3.75" of thread showing above the adjusters. I would start by making that 4" for me. Yours may be diff. So measure yours, and add some spring, this will push skis downward adding more ski pressure. While this may help with push, you will also increase effort, so this is where testing and conditions come in to play.

Dan

5.7's are structurally different than 6.9's under the rubber. Even looking at rubber. No sag in the middle. There's also an 1/8" x 1/2" nub in the rear center. Kinda acts like a shim. Not easy to see in pic.

View attachment 135642
That is odd.....can you take much more pics close up? I have done many 5.7s and they all look same as 6.9s pocket.

Where did you get those, and do you have a part number? I can try to look them up.

We are heading out soon here, so I wont be back in here today much maybe very late tonight, or Monday latest.

Dan

Back