• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Plush Ride Without Bottoming (MONOSHOCK OWNERS)

The spring just holds you up. The progresive dampening in the shock is what will keep you from crashing down on the square egded stuff. Bruce re-valved mine and its fantastic. I'm running the compression dampening between 1/2 and 3/4 and only slightly bottom occasionally. At 210 lbs with the 5.5 kg spring, it's as close to perfect as I could ask for. (thanks again Bruce)

I had my shock revalved and installed the dual rate spring at Hy-gear earlier this year. Ross worked with me and set it up for my weight and riding style. I could not be happier with this setup.
when I do bottom it out, it is just a light hit, and not one of those spine rattlers like it was with the heavier mono spring from Yamaha. If I remember correctly, it cost me about $280. Beleive me , it is worth every penny to have it done.

Wayne

I know there were alot of posts on this but here is my 2 cents and this is a fairly inexpensive solution about 165 bucks ( 100 for the spring and 65 for the revalve), since I am heavy about 280 I got the 7.1 spring, helped with ride height and it made my suspension lively, the problem was the shock wasnt valved right so I called Ohlins in SC. They revalved it for $65 and also replaced the seal that goes bad on them, they were great to work with and turned it around in two days. Now I know that the other vendors that have revalve kits and springs, they do a great job and I have worked with all of them, I really beleive that Ohlins can do a superior job since they designed the shock. I can now hit 3 ft moguls and have no worries about bottoming, now dont get me wrong you should bottom every now and them but it takes alot for it now. Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will help.

Phone number?

rx1 tom said:
I know there were alot of posts on this but here is my 2 cents and this is a fairly inexpensive solution about 165 bucks ( 100 for the spring and 65 for the revalve), since I am heavy about 280 I got the 7.1 spring, helped with ride height and it made my suspension lively, the problem was the shock wasnt valved right so I called Ohlins in SC. They revalved it for $65 and also replaced the seal that goes bad on them, they were great to work with and turned it around in two days. Now I know that the other vendors that have revalve kits and springs, they do a great job and I have worked with all of them, I really beleive that Ohlins can do a superior job since they designed the shock. I can now hit 3 ft moguls and have no worries about bottoming, now dont get me wrong you should bottom every now and them but it takes alot for it now. Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will help.

markusvt said:
Phone number?

rx1 tom said:
Tom I agree ohlins are a superior shock however not everyone has an Apex GT.

I did the hygear upgrade to my RTX (dual rate springs, re-valve, remote res, hy/lo valve) Cost me between $600-700. I am totally satisfied at this point with the upgrade. I've put 800 hard miles on this setup and have not adjusted it once since i re-installed the shock. It seems to ride well in a variety of trail conditions without fussing with preload on the spring like i did before. I have changed the amount of transfer and sled rides great. IMO it was money very well spent.

Kudos to Ross and the gang for their testing and attention to what the customer is looking for.

i'm not going to spend 6 to 7 hundred dollars on this damn shock i will by a bigger spring and go from there what spring would be good fatboy spring 5.5

The number for Ohlins is 828-692-4525 talk to Brad at ext 310, he willl be able to help.

Tom

leaddog said:
The spring just holds you up. The progresive dampening in the shock is what will keep you from crashing down on the square egded stuff. Bruce re-valved mine and its fantastic. I'm running the compression dampening between 1/2 and 3/4 and only slightly bottom occasionally. At 210 lbs with the 5.5 kg spring, it's as close to perfect as I could ask for. (thanks again Bruce)

I am in the same boat. I don't know what spring Bruce put in, but with the revalve I have it on the softest setting and couldn't be happier.

Back