• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power Steering

Last time i had the stx out, I had just got past the 160km mark and was able to open it up to 8000rpm. The trail hadnt been groomed in a while and the striker ski was very darty when getting over 60km/hr. I then looked down and noticed that the dealer had set the skiis all the way inside, so i am going to move them out and try tomorrow and see how it is.
Right, I always move my skis out right away.

I found my S-TX darty as well. I took some preload off the front springs and changed the wear bars to mission offset 6", and that has improved it quite a bit (but not gone). I should also check the stance, I never even thought to look at that!
I found the shims on my skis where in the rear on the left ski and in the front on the right ski!!!!

Right, I always move my skis out right away.
its my wifes sled, i would have noticed pretty quick normally, but i was not allowed to drive it for the first KMs and i missed the stance, im really just her slave mechanic lol. But good thing i did take it for a rip because the rear torsion spring needed to be cranked up, she was likely really close to bottoming out but didnt really notice it being she was in break in 6000rpms.

Last time i had the stx out, I had just got past the 160km mark and was able to open it up to 8000rpm. The trail hadnt been groomed in a while and the striker ski was very darty when getting over 60km/hr. I then looked down and noticed that the dealer had set the skiis all the way inside, so i am going to move them out and try tomorrow and see how it is.
how much snow do you have in your area, we're all going crazy waiting for the next flake to fall...bad start or false start in the northeast.

how much snow do you have in your area, we're all going crazy waiting for the next flake to fall...bad start or false start in the northeast.
Conservative 12" in the fields I would say, trails maybe 6-8" packed? Dec28 we had a storm that made enough snow to finally cover the spots of bare ground we had on the trails, the area I live in got a 12" dump, it was awesome! Except I had to 4x4 with the sled trailer 300km away to meet up with a couple friends to go sledding lol.

KnappAttack, I know you run the stock arms with your setup but it would be interesting to see you go to the bop bent arms to see how much easier it is to steer and then give impression on those also compared to new stock power steering sleds. Yes, I know turning radius is changed but still be interested in seeing you at least try it or have someone who has the bent arms to compare.

Put on over a couple hundred miles the last few days on my personal 2017 LTX-LE with the BOP arms set on hole #2 and Aggressive SnowTrackers on Doo 5.7Race skis and find it much easier to steer with a much improved than a clients LTX-SE I rode last week. Those SE shocks and stock tuner skis are not the ones to have that is certain, his sled rode like a buckboard and steered so hard, I did my best with it but without much of dampening adjustments there's only so much one can to with it, it just felt valved way to stiff compared to my LE, and those tuners are horribly hard to turn after a while!

I'd say my sled steers very close to my buddies power steering sled. He also has a 2017 with BOP arms with bent tie rods with Aggressive Trackers and Doo skis and has always told me his power steering sled and his 17 are very close in steering effort. He rode his 17 today and still says they steer with about the same effort.

I wont run the bent tie rods on my sled, no way no how. I'll stay with it on hole #2 and strong straight tie rods. My sled with it set up specified, does not steer much if any tougher than the power steering sled. Only place the PS sled defiantly has the edge is in the very slower going, and honestly we don't ride very slow.

Put on over a couple hundred miles the last few days on my personal 2017 LTX-LE with the BOP arms set on hole #2 and Aggressive SnowTrackers on Doo 5.7Race skis and find it much easier to steer with a much improved than a clients LTX-SE I rode last week. Those SE shocks and stock tuner skis are not the ones to have that is certain, his sled rode like a buckboard and steered so hard, I did my best with it but without much of dampening adjustments there's only so much one can to with it, it just felt valved way to stiff compared to my LE, and those tuners are horribly hard to turn after a while!

I'd say my sled steers very close to my buddies power steering sled. He also has a 2017 with BOP arms with bent tie rods with Aggressive Trackers and Doo skis and has always told me his power steering sled and his 17 are very close in steering effort. He rode his 17 today and still says they steer with about the same effort.

I wont run the bent tie rods on my sled, no way no how. I'll stay with it on hole #2 and strong straight tie rods. My sled with it set up specified, does not steer much if any tougher than the power steering sled. Only place the PS sled defiantly has the edge is in the very slower going, and honestly we don't ride very slow.
What gives? A couple days ago it's a game changer and today there's not much difference....?

:)

What gives? A couple days ago it's a game changer and today there's not much difference....?

:)

I still love it, but a week ago like I said if you read my review, I was also comparing a sled that steered super hard with the tuners on it and rode like a buckboard. You will be able to turn any ski or carbide easily on a real PS machine, so I still think its a game changer.

I'm merely stating a LTX-LE setup like mine with the BOP arms set on #2, Doo 5.7Race skis and Aggressive SnowTrackers is almost as light on steering effort as the PS sled. The combo of the BOP arms and Snowtrackers make the steering easy on a regular sled.

The Cat PS is far and away better than the Apex was IMO. I found the Apex to be a slight bit unconnected and rubbery, I never thought the Apex was able to hold a line, the winder PS is connected like normal.

Conservative 12" in the fields I would say, trails maybe 6-8" packed? Dec28 we had a storm that made enough snow to finally cover the spots of bare ground we had on the trails, the area I live in got a 12" dump, it was awesome! Except I had to 4x4 with the sled trailer 300km away to meet up with a couple friends to go sledding lol.
yup, I'd gladly drive 200 miles for a ride with friends. Just wondering how much snow in Saskatuan, always thought that area was remote, cold and has very deep snow in the winter. Thanks for the info...hopefully we all get good snow soon. Joe

Bingo!, I was really dissapointed with the stryke ski on my 22 winder. Tried all the shims available and a bunch of different runners and suspension settings and was just never happy with them.I pulled the skis off my wifes riot 800 (proclimb-7 G2)and swapped the sniper double down bars on them and went for a ride and was blown away how good they worked. Ordered a black set off country cat right away that night. The keel is deep so they turn good and with sniper double downs there is no darting. They didnt require much steering effort even on a non eps sled. Should be standard equipment on all 4 strokes imo. Only time I will say I dont like them is when there is a thick crust on the snow and you are breaking trail, they are a little sketchy in that situation but everywhere else Im real happy with them.
Justinator, did you buy the full kit or just the bottoms and loops? Do you need to change the rubbers if you are going from the Stryke to the Proclimb skis?

Justinator, did you buy the full kit or just the bottoms and loops? Do you need to change the rubbers if you are going from the Stryke to the Proclimb skis?
I bought the kit………its been a while so I dont remember if I bought the kit because I HAD to or if I wanted to for some other reason. The skis are adjustable from 41.5-43.5 depending on where you put the 2 spacers and the kit includes all hardware and carbides which I wanted so I had runners for early season or late season poor snow conditions. I dont remember what the stryke ski rubber looks like so Ill try and get a pic of the proclimb stuff later today.

Need cat rubbers, bolts, nuts, the incerts that go through bolt holes on skis. Washers maybe but not sure on those. The washers go on the outside on the skis. Just converted my 22 to cat skis. Trail skis. Semi trackers. Got it handling good. 300 miles on this year. I just bought all cat hardware. I believe you have get the bolts for sure as they are not the same length as the Yamaha ski bolts.

I haven't ridden my '23 SRX yet, but I've talked to a few friends who have had both Power Steering and Non-Power Steering Sidewinders. They echo what's said here about it being phenomenal and making the sled feel way lighter. However, every one of them have said they dart more than their Non-Power Steering winders. Stock for stock ski comparison anyway.

Seems Snow Trackers, and ski alignment is the ticket to resolve the darting. Again, I haven't ridden mine yet, but just the feedback I've received.

I haven't ridden my '23 SRX yet, but I've talked to a few friends who have had both Power Steering and Non-Power Steering Sidewinders. They echo what's said here about it being phenomenal and making the sled feel way lighter. However, every one of them have said they dart more than their Non-Power Steering winders. Stock for stock ski comparison anyway.

Seems Snow Trackers, and ski alignment is the ticket to resolve the darting. Again, I haven't ridden mine yet, but just the feedback I've received.
2022 LTX GT
Stryke skis
Woodys 8” Maverick Shaper single keel ski
Virtually NO darting
Although a little at off throttle when coming to a stop if the trail is tracked up

I see no need for dual bars

And....
These are full length so better in loose snow

Rode my buddies 22 LTX-GT last week. OMG if there ever was a game changer this is it! The power steering on the Winder works much better than the Apex ever did. I was really impressed with it, made it honesty feel lighter than a 5 or 600! I can't say enough good about it. The whole machine was a dream. It rode so well, steered so easy and went like stink for a stocker! I was seeing 9000 and even 9250 when it was spinning with all stock stuff on it. The first few corners I was oversteering it!

I was riding a clients SE last week and it rode and steered like a buckboard with the stock tuner skis on it in comparison. I wished I'd have had my LE with the snowtrackers and BOP arms with to compare with the GT, my LE steers very easily, but the actual power steering puts it in another league.

Power Steering it going to prolong my riding years with bad tendinitis and bad shoulders that my old Doos gave me!
ditto ditto ditto

Back