• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary clutch woes

shadow44

TY 4 Stroke God
so I went for a ride with my brother in law yesterday, a run we do every year that is usually about 100 miles door to door. Everything went great there but I kept hearing this funny sound from my clutch side, a little sounding similar to ratcheting ( best way I can describe it ). On our way back, about 60 miles into the ride I noticed a vibration in the running boards but thought it was my belt on its way out. We got closer to home and the vibration got worse...and to top it off I had 1 bar of fuel and thought I was going to run out and no gas station anywhere close. Well we made it home and as I pulled down my street the vibration was through the handle bars and was horrible, so in the garage it goes and up on the stand and this is what I found... image.jpgimage.jpg

Lol, it sure does....however on a good note, I got 101 miles to a tank of fuel running 35-70 mph in loose snow....and made it back without being towed!

I think there was a guy in the classifieds selling a primary and secondary for $300...

that really sucks

check with www.totalrecreation.ca (yamaha snowmobile used parts dealer) their in Ontario (just north of Orilla) but they do have an Ottawa area number to call too.,...613.266.0589 (Ottawa Area)

best of luck and at least it didn't leave in on the side of trail somewhere

check you drag & flys while your in there....mine are becoming fucked again after only 1000 miles

Might be time to try out a PB 80? I've been thinking about it for a while just would like more info on set up hint hint!!

any newer yamaha clutch will work. Just need the deeper spring cover.

6000 miles, good news is that Iantomasi ( local sled guru ) has a used stub and can use my sheeves....should be all fixed up next week. They all looked at it and said they've never seen one do that before, and they've been in the biz for many years.

Got to admit I've seen clutches grenade but never seen a fracture like that! :eek:

Well, it's all fixed up, I have the Schmidt Bros stage 2 clutch kit installed and going to see how it runs. I took it for a quick blast in the yard at Iantomasi's shop and it seemed to pull pretty good and loaded up on the very easily, something it never did with the drag n flys. Here are some pics of the bad lol
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back