• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

question for high milage apex owners

well all the side ones are still tight but under the tank will tell the story as that is how we found the rx ones.

Time to add The Greaser ! With a new bearing of course ! Well made unit , easy to install and pump out any crud that makes it way in. Like I mentioned before I have the prototype with over 1,200mi no issues.

also check ski alignment , some trails can be ruff and they can put them out of alignment. Every couple years I do a chaincase clean and flush , and engine flush with engine oil , not engine flush stuff ! Drain , pull tube from lower tank , clean , add oil ,run engine for a few miles , drain and repeat . I do it 3 times , it just gets the dirty out . You can just get cheaper thin oil if you do and add your brand of good oil and filter when finished . Also time to drain brake fluid , flush , bleed and add , coolant also . This is just me , and fluids do where out like everything in life .

well got a few little things done on it while helping gf cousin fix his snow blower. speedo bearing is already done. have to pull primary and inspect as it was hanging up when i put it in garage.

big stuff i found:

yes i need to re rivit the tunnel to the bulkhead as there was a bunch that are smoking or loose under the gas tank. going to do all the ones i can get at without removing the track.

also need the lower a arm bolts (graseable ones) as the oil lites ate them. upper are still tight. sucks as those bolts are on back order until some time in january. bro had the same play on my old 05 rx and found that the bushings where fine but all his bolts where worn where the bushings ride when we put all new bushings in it again.

well got a few little things done on it while helping gf cousin fix his snow blower. speedo bearing is already done. have to pull primary and inspect as it was hanging up when i put it in garage.

big stuff i found:

yes i need to re rivit the tunnel to the bulkhead as there was a bunch that are smoking or loose under the gas tank. going to do all the ones i can get at without removing the track.

also need the lower a arm bolts (graseable ones) as the oil lites ate them. upper are still tight. sucks as those bolts are on back order until some time in january. bro had the same play on my old 05 rx and found that the bushings where fine but all his bolts where worn where the bushings ride when we put all new bushings in it again.
Sounds like the olite bushing is now being harder then the bolt. Step up the grade of the bolt? or go back to OEM bushings?

When I was greasing my driveshaft/jackshaft bearings on both sleds, which are original, they still showed a fair amount of my Super Blue hi temp grease present. 12 and 10 years later and they still look good. Of course only 6k miles on them, also still running the original belts.

it is a yamaha stepped bolt but i have not looked to see if there is an aftermarket bolt that would work. had bop bulkhead saver on it so probably better to go with oe. i think i have a set from travis with the spare set of a arms but i need to find the box. will not go back to oe bushings as they are usually toast before 6000 mi typically. these where replaced because i hit a tree with the spindle sideways and tweaked the arms but it did not show until care_bear hit a tree with it and then i found the bushings where toast and the bent a arms at about 6000 km.

the speedo bearing failed at 11000 mi when the inner race broke in 1/2 where the bearings run like it was cut. how i ride and where i ride, a belt usually only lasts between 2-3000 mi or a season on average for me but i pull sleighs and wood with them as well as dead snowmobiles.

Well finally got it on its skis.

Chain case fought me hard but got it licked. All rivets are replaced. Caught them just as they where starting to smoke. brake pads where down enough I replaced them but probably need e brake pads. Exup still in adjustment for 3rd season in a row.

still waiting on bolts but it is still rideable. Got it all greased and repacked all bearings. Good thing I was swapping in my other set of shocks as the main rear shock was leaking oil out the seal.

the surprise item was the primary clutch. Put a good used one on last season and when I moved sled into garage it was sticking. Took it apart to clean it and the sliding sheve was sticking bad. Could not get it clean up and move nicely. Discovered my spare primary has damage and had to go get my brothers spare. First time I have ever seen set screws on the roller pins. Donor primary off of 03 rx1.

Last edited:
another up-date.

just got the new lower bolts in yesterday and they do not have grease fittings any more. all the dimples are there. in the middle of servicing the vk atm and finding out why it is not pumping fuel.

Maim, did you just order the lower bulkhead bolts (90401-10045-00)? I upgraded to the newer style since my 08 did not have them like my 18 but I also had to order the actual grease fitting (93700-06M03-00) as well:

LowerBulkheadBolt.jpg

that is the bolts i ordered. they are not drilled for the grease fitting or the side hole at all. new up date or did i just get a bum set? idk but still going to use them as i use the bulkhead saver so they do not pivot anyways. they where on back order for a month.

Maybe they did change and revert back to the older style. I ordered mine back in October of last year and if I'm not mistaken were in stock; ordered and shipped within 3 days. But one would think if they did change, it would be reflected in revision to the part number (eg. 90401-10045-10).

Hey what a great thread! As these sleds get higher mileage there are definitely things to look at.

How tight is your steering? I found there are two sets of bushings on the steering links that no one has ever mentioned.
After removing the battery box you will see two idler arms off of the main steering shaft that connects both sides. I found these two bushings created a pile of slop since the steering input is directly connected to one(mag side).

I will try and find a picture.
Cheers!

i know the ones you are talking about chris189. other than some minor play in the tie rods it is all still good

Wow. So this past summer I fixed up an 07 rtx. It looked nice from the outside and said only 10000kms. I'm telling you everything I checked was worn or broken! There must have been. 020" play in these bushings. I have never once seen anything on this excellent site about those. Was surprised.

Back