• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

question for high milage apex owners

Wow. So this past summer I fixed up an 07 rtx. It looked nice from the outside and said only 10000kms. I'm telling you everything I checked was worn or broken! There must have been. 020" play in these bushings. I have never once seen anything on this excellent site about those. Was surprised.
Strange it’s not mentioned more often because it is a trouble spot on every Deltabox sled I’ve ever encountered with higher mileage.

I've got over 17,000 miles on my 08 and had also checked those bushings but for me, my slop was attributed this steering relay rod, #29, as both ends had play in them. Was just a bear to replace.

SteeringSlop.JPG

I actually bought two since the RX-1 with over 11,000 miles has the same slop in its steering relay rod. Just don't ride it as much so haven't gotten around to it but do agree about that area being a trouble spot for the Deltaboxes.

only bushings i have had to do in the steering on mine where the right spindle bushings last year. did the oil lites on the a arms 20000 km ago ish and the lower a arm frame bolt was the only one i have play in.

Yea, I run Ulmer's oilite bushing kit in my front end as well and they really don't require too much maintenance. That's why I was surprised to develop some slop in the steering a few years later. That's when I tracked down that relay rod.

Hey what a great thread! As these sleds get higher mileage there are definitely things to look at.

How tight is your steering? I found there are two sets of bushings on the steering links that no one has ever mentioned.
After removing the battery box you will see two idler arms off of the main steering shaft that connects both sides. I found these two bushings created a pile of slop since the steering input is directly connected to one(mag side).

I will try and find a picture.
Cheers!

I have noted that on my XTX as well, and even more after my wife tipped it over. one of those may have given up.

So this thread is a nice collection for us higher milers.

My 2007 GT needed donuts every 4000 miles like clock work. And you could tell when it needed it, as it would be a bit louder and then would backfire. Probably too late on the last time, as it cracked a y-pipe.

The 2012 XTX has been rock solid for 11,500. But this last few trips, I have noticed it is growling a bit louder, and on the last trip had a slight backfire when coming off throttle. And not a pop backfire, but more of a "Foof" in the pipe. Would one suspect EXUP or donuts in a 2012? I hate to rip into that project, right as the trails start opening up with good snow, But I also don't want to crack a y-pipe, as that gets expensive.

I am unsure if that is still a thing with these post 2011 model Apex. Thanks guys!

So this thread is a nice collection for us higher milers.

My 2007 GT needed donuts every 4000 miles like clock work. And you could tell when it needed it, as it would be a bit louder and then would backfire. Probably too late on the last time, as it cracked a y-pipe.

The 2012 XTX has been rock solid for 11,500. But this last few trips, I have noticed it is growling a bit louder, and on the last trip had a slight backfire when coming off throttle. And not a pop backfire, but more of a "Foof" in the pipe. Would one suspect EXUP or donuts in a 2012? I hate to rip into that project, right as the trails start opening up with good snow, But I also don't want to crack a y-pipe, as that gets expensive.

I am unsure if that is still a thing with these post 2011 model Apex. Thanks guys!
I could be wrong, but 2010 the last of the titanium crap pipes? I think yours, and my 2011 are back to stainless, Maim should be able to chime in as he said he did his doughnuts on his 11.

around the 11000-12000 mi mark i did the donuts as they failed the rag test biffdotorg. care_bear was the one riding it at that milage so i cannot say if it was huffing but i did notice a bit more growl to it before i did them. did not check the pipe material when i had it apart. did toast the exup cables close to that point as well as i remeber them being broken when i tore it down for the donuts. i did cheat on the exup cables as i adjusted them as per mrsled video and then added 1/4 turn more tension to each cable. checked it every year and has not moved out of adjustment yet in the last 3 years (as recalled from my old timers).

The 11+ Apex sleds DO NOT have stainless y pipes. The exup is a 4 into 1 collector and it’s titanium. If it’s cracked you’re done. I removed mine and sold it before this could happen, replaced with Ulmer’s stainless steel header to avoid future problems amd pick up a little HP in the process. His header is very stout.

around the 11000-12000 mi mark i did the donuts as they failed the rag test biffdotorg. care_bear was the one riding it at that milage so i cannot say if it was huffing but i did notice a bit more growl to it before i did them. did not check the pipe material when i had it apart. did toast the exup cables close to that point as well as i remeber them being broken when i tore it down for the donuts. i did cheat on the exup cables as i adjusted them as per mrsled video and then added 1/4 turn more tension to each cable. checked it every year and has not moved out of adjustment yet in the last 3 years (as recalled from my old timers).

thanks for the reply on this. I won’t hijack this thread but donuts are a concern on any high mileage Yamaha. Did you just go with the latest revision stock or third party donuts? Did the bands hold up, or did you swap them as well? Just trying to minimize down time by ordering parts in advance

From what I can see by the videos, this may be a good time to replace steering linkage bushings and possibly spark plugs. I will search YouTube for tips on disassembly as I have never pulled the fuel tank.

When I replaced my exup with the Ulmer Racing header I used OE graphite donuts, and ground each clamp a few mm to tighten them up a bit, that was it. I ran that Apex for several seasons, and then sold it to my cousin who is still on it with zero exhaust issues to the best of my knowledge.

thanks for the reply on this. I won’t hijack this thread but donuts are a concern on any high mileage Yamaha. Did you just go with the latest revision stock or third party donuts? Did the bands hold up, or did you swap them as well? Just trying to minimize down time by ordering parts in advance

From what I can see by the videos, this may be a good time to replace steering linkage bushings and possibly spark plugs. I will search YouTube for tips on disassembly as I have never pulled the fuel tank.

don't mind the hijack. i used the oe donuts from my dealer. re used the clamps after i ground them down to make sure they stayed tight, ie they would not rotate on the pipes when i pushed on them hard. mine all came apart good without heat but i had the torch handy when i took it apart. only bolts that broke on me where the exup cover bolts. i had to drill and re tap those.

i did the plugs around that milage and i put in irridiums while i was there. have not done any steering bushings yet but i will be checking it this week as i got some miles in on it on the weekend and did not like some of the things i was feeling while i was riding it. mrsled exup adjustment video covers pulling the tank to do it. i usually cheat now adays when i check it and only lift the rear of tank so i can get to the exup.

learning process for sure but needs to be done to keep them on the trail.

One other thing for the OP, if not already mentioned, is checking for oil seepage out of the oil tank. Mine was seeping this past summer. So I pulled it during an oil change and used the recommended epoxy here.

Come to find, I must not have had it in warm enough conditions to cure, or mixed it wrong, as it seems to be seeping again. Time to pull it one more time and use some JBweld and leave it while on vacation to cure.

lol i am the op biffdotorg. been keeping an eye on the oil tank as i expected it to fail before now. always carry oil in the saddle bags. during off season i stuff a white paper towel under the tank to see if it is leaking lately. before care_bear started riding it, i rode it hard and agressive on a bunch of whooped out trails as well as breaking trapping trails with it.

Back