• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Questions for you Phazer owners.

Heritage

Expert
I might finally be getting a Yamaha 4 stroke. A guy I know is interested in trading my 07 600 crossfire for his 07 Phazer FX. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me, especially guys who rode 600-700 cc two strokes, who went to a phazer. As I mentioned I will be coming from a 600, so I am hoping the power won't disapoint me too much. I do alot of groomed trail riding, but we also like to hop on the fire service roads in the U.P. So here are my questions.

Will I be satisfied with the HP, I heard the Phazer is slow, and a bit underpowered???

I was also told you need to put a deeper lug track, and dually runners on it, or it handles like crap, and the rear of the sled likes to wash out when you let off the power, is that true???

I am not sure if any of the updates have been preformed on this sled, what if any should I make sure are done before I bring the sled home???

I don't know if the tunnel is closed off, forgot to check, is this expensive to get (those tunnel close off pieces)???

Any hints, tips to make it handle better, ride better, go faster would be appreciated. I am trying to plan ahead what I might need to do with it.

Thank-You, Hope to be riding a 4 stroke this winter (finally!!!!)

you'll be down on power on the top-end some, but will be nice & torquey down low. it is only 80hp, but you can throw it around with ease. it goes 88-92mph or so on the speedo.

i've heard deeper lugs & skis or carbides make a huge difference.
i'm road mine last season with stock track/skis and noticed pushing in the corners. but the more aggressive you are the more the sled responds.
the reason for the "wash out" is the engine braking. a clutch kit will reduce this problem some.

closing the tunnel, just buy some diamond place or aluminum for $10 and rivet on.

as for the updates, the dealer would need the vin # to check.

you already have the clicker shocks, next is steering & traction.
gas mileage is great, and the machine can take a beating.

everything i said here was learned by listening to the guys/gals from here, and slowly doing upgrades to my sled.

Get a 1.5" track, good skis and block off the tunnel. Get the updates done. I ride with a friend on a crossfire 700 and he's usually waiting for me, unless we're on the pond or climbing powder. The phazer can hang with any 600 up to about 50-60 mph. The crossfire rides like a 12 elan compared to the phazer. The one time I let him ride mine, he just said "Man, I had no idea...."

Heritage said:
I might finally be getting a Yamaha 4 stroke. A guy I know is interested in trading my 07 600 crossfire for his 07 Phazer FX. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me, especially guys who rode 600-700 cc two strokes, who went to a phazer. As I mentioned I will be coming from a 600, so I am hoping the power won't disapoint me too much. I do alot of groomed trail riding, but we also like to hop on the fire service roads in the U.P. So here are my questions.

Will I be satisfied with the HP, I heard the Phazer is slow, and a bit underpowered???

I was also told you need to put a deeper lug track, and dually runners on it, or it handles like crap, and the rear of the sled likes to wash out when you let off the power, is that true???

I am not sure if any of the updates have been preformed on this sled, what if any should I make sure are done before I bring the sled home???

I don't know if the tunnel is closed off, forgot to check, is this expensive to get (those tunnel close off pieces)???

Any hints, tips to make it handle better, ride better, go faster would be appreciated. I am trying to plan ahead what I might need to do with it.

you heard right, the phazer is slow, under powered and handles like crap - your cross fire 600 is a superior sled and you will be disappointed.

Last time I rode with a guy with a crossfire his sled lost power and barely did 30mph and wouldnt idle.Next day dealer said all it was was blown snow in the air intake.Hmm isnt it a snowmobile?Anyway even when his was running good I had no trouble riding with him.With my Freeride track I also had no problem with getting over drifted road crossings.One of which he got stuck in following me.I think the Phazer is or will shortly be worth more than a equal year mi Crossfire.Just give yourself a chance to learn to ride the Phazer because it is different but better.

woolyviper said:
Heritage said:

you heard right, the phazer is slow, under powered and handles like crap - your cross fire 600 is a superior sled and you will be disappointed.

Really>??? don't you like ur phazer???

yup - two phazers - came off of a Viper that cornered like it was on rails and ran a hundred miles an hour in a heartbeat - never rode it again after i rode the phazer fx. i cracked up my fx and didn't even consider another sled when i picked up the rtx.

here's the truth - i can pull my sons 06 clutched nytro to about 60 mph - after that it's over. i can ride up the backend of a polaris 600 all day on twisty trails, but if they are long and straight - they get away. out of the box they need ski's, a track and some playing around with the adjustments.

off trail with a freeride and aftermarket skis, the rest of my group has to only watch and wish - if they get stuck i pull up alongside them and help them dig out. my sled doesn't get stuck.

as far as closing the tunnel, 20 bucks for a piece of aluminum and about 20 rivets.

i still say if you are coming off of a crossfire 600 and are looking for speed, you will be disappointed.

and yes i was giving him a hard time and still am.

im with wooly viper myself,

came off an 8oo mod sled and said to myself wtf did i do, two weeks later yahoo, it will do things that can't be done lol and do it for 20 bucks worth of gas

woolyviper said:
yup - two phazers - came off of a Viper that cornered like it was on rails and ran a hundred miles an hour in a heartbeat - never rode it again after i rode the phazer fx. i cracked up my fx and didn't even consider another sled when i picked up the rtx.

here's the truth - i can pull my sons 06 clutched nytro to about 60 mph - after that it's over. i can ride up the backend of a polaris 600 all day on twisty trails, but if they are long and straight - they get away. out of the box they need ski's, a track and some playing around with the adjustments.

off trail with a freeride and aftermarket skis, the rest of my group has to only watch and wish - if they get stuck i pull up alongside them and help them dig out. my sled doesn't get stuck.

as far as closing the tunnel, 20 bucks for a piece of aluminum and about 20 rivets.

i still say if you are coming off of a crossfire 600 and are looking for speed, you will be disappointed.

and yes i was giving him a hard time and still am.

Ok..lol I honestly don't care about top speed anymore..I too had a viper, that was clutched, and it was a rocket, cornered on rails..but rode like crap..worst riding rear suspension of any rear suspension I have ever been on. That was my last yamaha.

If you can understand, I have never owned anything smaller than a 600cc two stroke, so I just wanted to get an idea of what the power was like...thanks for ur replys...I can live with a quick sled, that goes 80-85 mph...especially if it pulls hard off the line. My crossfire has never been over 90 mph...and it's not slow sled....so basically ur telling me a phazer is about 10 mph slower than my crossfire...but quicker to 60 mph??? I can live with that. Good stuff guys thanks.

I always amaze people when I ride in deep powder. Last season I was riding the best powder newfoundland has ever seen along side an 08 fx nytro and an 02 800 summit, the phazer didn't miss a beat. Even with my stock track I was still pulling along with those two powerful sleds without a problem. I cant wait to get my freeride track and new skis to get even more fun out of the phazer. When people ask, how do you like your four stroke? I just laugh and say want to try it to find out?

You're gonna freak out when you ride it with new skis and track. I'd recommend some slydogs, they are nice and flexy and match the suspension well. Some have said the C&A's are kinda stiff and makes the phazer hard to steer in some conditions.

as far as speed goes, I had mounted my gps on my viper late one season, and took a couple rides with 3 guys and then with 9 in a group. it was interesting to see on the trip data that the average speed with the threshold set on the gps at 5mph was between 35 and 45 mph on both trips - i asked myself "Self? why do you need a sled that can go 114 mph if the average speed is 40 mph?" Now I'm on a phazer, lighter more agile, easy to ride, comfortable, and fast enough to keep up with little effort.

woolyviper said:
as far as speed goes, I had mounted my gps on my viper late one season, and took a couple rides with 3 guys and then with 9 in a group. it was interesting to see on the trip data that the average speed with the threshold set on the gps at 5mph was between 35 and 45 mph on both trips - i asked myself "Self? why do you need a sled that can go 114 mph if the average speed is 40 mph?" Now I'm on a phazer, lighter more agile, easy to ride, comfortable, and fast enough to keep up with little effort.
AMEN!!!!! Best post I've seen in a long time. This hits the nail on the head. Figure out what you really need in a sled, and what type rider you are (really). The phazer fits most with some fine tuning. The low end torque.....just gotta love it :4STroke:

Back