• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension question

scottt

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 apex gt 2017 sidewinder LTX LE 137"
2017 137 sidewinder. Sitting normal on the ground is the rear suspension supposed to come all the way back up if you sit on and get off or push down and then release? If I adjust the cam to the stiffest setting in pretty much comes all the way back up but if you put it on the mid setting it doesn't. If I ride on the stiffest setting it seems like it's really stiff ride. I'm probably 225 dressed out. Our 2007 jag pops back up to full height if you push down in the rear.Thanks

If the sled is on dollies in the gargae - the rear end usually doesnt act right. Needs to be flat on the ground.

If you have run the sled, and jump off, and it doesnt rebound to its full height the rear shock is tired and needs to be rebuilt.

MS

If the sled is on dollies in the gargae - the rear end usually doesnt act right. Needs to be flat on the ground.

If you have run the sled, and jump off, and it doesnt rebound to its full height the rear shock is tired and needs to be rebuilt.

MS
At the moment it's in the trailer but I've also noticed it while out riding and stopping on the trail. So the rear shock doesn't have a coil spring. I wouldn't think that shock would push it up?

Make sure the arms of the torsion springs that run through the guides that are attached to the rails of the skid are greased. That end of the sping slides back and forth in the guide and can dry out. It its rusty, it will have increased resistance.

But yes - the rear shock pushes upward restoring ride height.

MS

At the moment it's in the trailer but I've also noticed it while out riding and stopping on the trail. So the rear shock doesn't have a coil spring. I wouldn't think that shock would push it up?

The shocks have a gas charge, when they loose pressure, it will sag and need more compression dampening or spring pressure to help hold it up. Re-Fresh of the shocks will bring it back to new and hold the sled up. The shocks apply more pressure than you think, and being a 17 if they haven't been done in a while it needs it badly to restore the ride.

I understood from a previous discussed topic , that the torsion springs is what holds sled up and not the shock. Maybe the shock has some factor as well from what people on here suggest. I replaced my springs a week ago with the heavier ones on Yamaha website. My sled now sits up like it should on the lowest setting. However, I do find the ride is more stiff. Good for the big bumps I guess though. Wish there was more of an in between. FYI -sled only had 1100 Kms on it (2022 137”).

I understood from a previous discussed topic , that the torsion springs is what holds sled up and not the shock. Maybe the shock has some factor as well from what people on here suggest. I replaced my springs a week ago with the heavier ones on Yamaha website. My sled now sits up like it should on the lowest setting. However, I do find the ride is more stiff. Good for the big bumps I guess though. Wish there was more of an in between. FYI -sled only had 1100 Kms on it (2022 137”).
You can mix torsion springs if they are clocked similarly. Put the heavier one on one side. Since they are activated together, the total force of the two springs is all that you will feel.

You can mix torsion springs if they are clocked similarly. Put the heavier one on one side. Since they are activated together, the total force of the two springs is all that you will feel.
Really, never thought of that. I would have thought one side would look like it was off level. Hmmm , might be worth a try if it weren’t such a pain to replace.

Back