• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension sagging?

Froggy

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Winder LTX SE 14600 km and counting
2016 Viper LTX LE 23986 km sold
2015 Viper LTX DX Wife's 19500 km
2010 Vector LTX GT 25000 km sold
I'm looking for advice for setting up my suspension on my new 2020 LTX SE winder. The rear suspension is sagging and will not spring back up like my 2 LTX Vipers. I turned the springs adjusters to the stiffest setting and that did very little to help. I'm bottoming out and when you go top up the fuel tank by pumping the rear suspension it is already sitting on the rear arm shaft and the front suspension starts to extend. When you look at the track there is less than half the track is touching the ground as compared to almost over 3 quarters for the Vipers.
The dealer replaced the rear shock and dropped the front of the skid to the bottom hole and lowered the rear of the skid to the top hole on the brackets at the rear and now I hear the track hitting the rail tips on small rollers at low speed and I also hear the track ratcheting when using the brake to stop.
What should I do as I never had a problem with the Vipers should I put back the rear skid back to where it was and start lowering the preload on the front shocks to get the front of the track down more. plus the limiter straps are at the longest setting already. Looking for some help as I still have a couple of weeks to go sledding by the looks of the weather forecast.

Thanks everyone.

I'll assume the front half of the track is off the ground. Do you have your ski shocks set stiff? Limiter pulled up?

Yes as stated the front half off track is off the ground, limiter straps at longest and 2 inches of preload on front shocks as factory set.

Jack up the free not till the skis are off the ground and loosen the spring retainers on the front shocks till the barely holt the spring in place and give them 2 full turns, that should drop the front end, I would do this first. 2” of preload is crazy. I have a 17 ltx le and I think the front mounting hole of the rear suspension is in the upper hole and so is the rear. Not sure with the new 20 rear suspension but could be binding or something weird if the geometry is off

With the '20 ARCS suspension, the rear suspension bolt needs to be in the lower hole. And yes, first start by loosening the ski shocks.

Just brought home a 2020 LTX-GT. Rear is the SAME way. Its sitting on the rear axle, then there is a increasing gap all the way up to the rail bend. About 1 and a half inches, I will measure it later. This is sitting on a flat floor. Also noticed the front arm with the slider slots is bottomed out aginst the rubber dampers. I did have the front of the sled jacked up about a foot when I noticed that though, will let it down and check again.

I believe the spring are bad. Seems like a bad batch of torsion springs. I know that sounds crazy but this is one of many complaints about the sled sagging badly in the rear. IMO the torsion spring are JUNK. Seems the 20’s had a bad batch

I believe the spring are bad. Seems like a bad batch of torsion springs. I know that sounds crazy but this is one of many complaints about the sled sagging badly in the rear. IMO the torsion spring are JUNK. Seems the 20’s had a bad batch
It could be but my 2020 ltx gt hasn’t given me any rear suspension problems, I have my cam adjuster on softest and compression knob on 1 since day one.

It could be but my 2020 ltx gt hasn’t given me any rear suspension problems, I have my cam adjuster on softest and compression knob on 1 since day one.
You got good torsion springs. I don’t believe it’s every sled in 20

Well I put the rear suspension back to the factory holes and I loosened up the front shock springs until they were loose and then I turned in the lock rings 2 1/2 turns and I noticed an improvement. When I said that there was 2 inches of preload that is how much thread there was above the lock rings, There was actually 7 turns of preload on the front shock springs prior to me loosening them. The skid looks a lot more level and the track is almost touching at the front idlers. The rear still doesn't return to full height after compressing the skid and it takes almost 400lbs at the bumper tunnel area to fully bottom out the suspension to the bump stops. I did fiddle with the rebound adjusters in the front shocks to the midway point and I'll finish the year around these settings front and back for the time being. Thanks for the help everyone and I'm going for a lunch run tomorrow in the 320-400km area depending on my direction of travel.

But does it sit FLAT on the floor. Just measured mine the gap under front of track was 1". Also had a LOT of preload on front ski shocks. Ended up with 4 1/2" of thread on shock body. Gotta start somewhere.

Last time I had it in the shop it was sitting flat on the floor.

But does it sit FLAT on the floor. Just measured mine the gap under front of track was 1". Also had a LOT of preload on front ski shocks. Ended up with 4 1/2" of thread on shock body. Gotta start somewhere.
You should remove most of the preload out of the ski shocks. Jack the front end up, loosen the spring retainers till the spring can move, then snug the retainers 2 full turns starting with zero preload.

You should remove most of the preload out of the ski shocks. Jack the front end up, loosen the spring retainers till the spring can move, then snug the retainers 2 full turns starting with zero preload.
Thats what I did, how I ended up at 4 1/2" of thread.

Back