• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RIP Apex Mountain

I have ridden the Nytro and it is a great sled, but I will take my '06 Apex any day. Mine had more improvements in the first year than the factory managed in 3 years. Oh well, I have almost 11,000 miles of Mt. riding on it now and will make it 20,000+ if they are going to hang us out to dry. Apex is still the best reliable Mt. platform IMO.

:yam: but the managemnet :o| at least mine is worth alot more money now and with the barkbuster front end I almost have power steering without the extra weight.

They said you can't go all out on these dragons or the track will blow to pieces. I can see why, that track looks like a rubber band with huge rubber blocks for lugs, theres hardly any taper to them at all, I would have to disagree with you on this and say the M8, after watching Chris Burandt those things can really go places.

Like the rest of you I was surprised to see that they did away with the Mountain Apex. The reality is, the people that have the means to have the ultimate mountain sled will buy an ’11 Apex and stretch it out to meet their needs. The people that have that kind of extra cash laying around consist of Trump, Gates and my ex wife! Thinking about spending 15K on a new sled and another 5K or so to make it a true mountain sled, makes my left arm go numb!

On a positive note though, those of us with an Apex Mountain, just had the resale value go up if we ever decide to part with our Apes. :Rockon:

yamahamaniac said:
They said you can't go all out on these dragons or the track will blow to pieces. I can see why, that track looks like a rubber band with huge rubber blocks for lugs, theres hardly any taper to them at all, I would have to disagree with you on this and say the M8, after watching Chris Burandt those things can really go places.

Here's my fav Chris Burandt vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scZHnSve0eA :Rockon:

If Chris had his pockets filled by Yamaha he would be doing the same crazy videos on an Apex! But hopefully not hitting the biggest tree on the mountain.

Well thats BullS&%^. I went with the APEX because of the power over the Nytro and it had a longer/wider track. Not to mention has Yamaha done anything about the small tanks on the Nytro's?

As far as pricing, I think most manufacturers are pricing themselves out of sales right now. Yes they want to make money and one way to do that is to slow production but if you used to sell 10000 units for 2 million dollars you can't expect to sell 7000 units for 2.5 million dollars, well I guess you can but you won't and the manufacturers will see the drop in sales as a drop in interest and discontinue model lines all together. :o|

What crap.

I was really hoping for a totally improved Apex for 2011/2012 when I was planning on buying another sled but hell I'll just continue to lighten my apex and turbo or supercharge it before I pay 13000 for a Nytro.

If for some reason it comes down to buying a new sled I guess I'll have to seriously consider a SkiDoo or a Polaris "hack"

BTW I have to agree with Mtn-track on the Ford thing I am I die hard Ford person, love my Expedition, want a diesel Excursion but they are hard to find in good condition or they are over priced! So now I'm looking for a diesel truck but the Fords are not looking like a good choice due to the motor, leaning towards the Dodge Cummins in that Mega cab......I hear nothing but good things about those except for the 07' soot bag thing. Now if I caould find a Mega Cab with the 5.9 in good shape and decent miles I'd be set. ;)!

good discussion

A lot of good points.... Yamaha will have to come up with the Nytro in a 160 h.p. package to be remotely competitive! I'd have to disagree with you on the Dragon sled "Niko". I've ridden all three of the top offerings and that 2010 M8 spanks the others hands down! So easy to ride and has some serious balls now! The Dragon was lacking in throttle response compared to the M8 and Doo and had less power. This is due to the detuning by Polaris so it would be dependable which is still very questionable! The M8 is real close on weight to the Doo and handles much better out the box! I wish they'd drop a 160 h.p. 4 stroke in the 2010 M8 chassis I'd buy it immediately for 12000.00! Even with the weight gain of probably 30 lbs over a two stroke equivalent....the chassis is designed for what we do and you know it once you've ridden one for a day in the steep, deep and off camber mountains....they simply ROCk.....but stink while doing it....LOL. :o|
This takes us back to the age old problem with Yamaha, they don't build a Mountain specific chassis, they adapt their trail sled to the mountain and it shows! The reason for this is cost to profit ratio....Yamaha is conservative because they are driven by this and in a way is understandable. Their in it to make a profit other wise they wouldn't be doing it.....but they could do both......others are! Another age old problem is it's a Japanese company not Canadian or American and this dictates their risks and their desire to be top dog on the snow! It also dictates their better quality...with every action there is a reaction. I'm just glad I bought mine in 07' before the prices jumped beyond realistic....looking forward to keeping my sled because it's going to be one that is looked back on as a classic that should have been revamped (like the M8), could have lost 50 lbs easy from the factory and gained 20 h.p. with similar improvements like the Nytro mountain.....but it's not Yamha's nature. Cheers..... :Rockon:

Mine I'm glad I bought mine when I did. I actually bought mine in Oct of 07' when the 08's were hitting the floor. I got it for 9800 OTD with reverse, skid plate and left hand throttle. I feel like I did pretty good.

good prices....

Yeah I paid $10500.00 out the door with 2007 SE 4 yr. warranty, skid plate, cover,gold finger, hand guards and shockwave helix.......Outlaw Motorsports Inc. in Enterprise Oregon. Cheapest deal on the west coast I could find.....now you can pick them up really cheap though if your willing to buy used.

I think Yamah might just suprise us yet. I picked up a brand new 09' this fall for $8600 out the door. There seemed to be a surplus of these sleds here in Colorado and combined with the extrordinary cash back incentives it seemed to me they were trying to clear the floor for something and it wasn't the new Nitro. Just a sneeking suspiscion I have, who knows? Infact as of now mid winter I still know dealers with a few of them sitting on the floor 08's & 09's, there just might be enough out there in crates to justify cutting prodcution for the new year and focussing on new developments ??
Yamaha is about the bottom line but they are also very much about being the best.
Only time will tell.

Yes do love the M8 sled, and did ride it all last season in tahoe but I feel its got a big front nose on it and is way heavyer than the dragon. Also Chris Burandt uses a M8 turbo not a stock one thats one of the reasons hes climbing what he does.

yamahamaniac said:

Mtn-Track said:
Maybe try to look at this from a more positive angle....

We are now the owners of a "limited production run", 4-cylinder mountain-killing monster, the likes of which may never be seen again.

Thats exactly what I thought when I heard they dropped the Apex Mountain from the line up...

Mine is gonna hold its value just that much longer!! :Rockon:

Back