• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS mechanical cam chain tension problem bulletin

Went to one dealer said to bring it in and they would change in out at no charge. Went to my dealer he said it was not making noise and it would not be changed out. He also said my 06 Vector had the tensioner with the blue dot.??? Yamaha rep told him that was impossible unless my motor was rebuilt or the upgrade was already done, which it has not been. It appears Yamaha themselves might be confused about this.

mightyroo12 said:
He also said my 06 Vector had the tensioner with the blue dot.??? Yamaha rep told him that was impossible unless my motor was rebuilt or the upgrade was already done, which it has not been. It appears Yamaha themselves might be confused about this.

Well now it's getting interesting.

Too bad Yamaha wouldn't simply do a recall, and keep their customers happy. Why tarnish the Yamaha engine reputation because of some chain tensioner design problem. They've already admitted that a possible design flaw exist by issuing the bulletin. Do the rest of us a favor, and simply do a recall. :o|

I agree totally that this should be a full recall. We have one of the most reliable motors out there and now I think about this every time I ride.
Talked to a dealer this week that told me they would tear mine down but couldn't garantee that yamaha yould pay for it even though they are paying for the motors that have gone down due to this problem. It seems like it would be cheaper for them to take care of this before it takes out the motor and interups someones riding season. just my .02.. Trevor

I'd like there to be a recall. How am I supposed to know for sure if my motor is making noise from the cam chain or the clutch? My motor has a rattle but I've always assumed it came from the drive clutch.

This tensioner thing has me bummed out because the reason I switched to 4-strokes was for reliability. The freaking Yamaha chassis sure isn't doing me any favors for both my Vector or Nytro!!!

AKrider said:
I'd like there to be a recall. How am I supposed to know for sure if my motor is making noise from the cam chain or the clutch? My motor has a rattle but I've always assumed it came from the drive clutch.

I agree with AKrider. We on this site know about the problem, but anyone who doesn't know about this site hasn't got a clue when his or her machine starts to make a noise that it could grenade the engine. If Yamaha knows there is trouble, then step up to the plate and fix it. :o| It will cost them more to replace an engine than it will to replace the tensioner.

I agree they should just fix them. Another thing how do we know if the tensioner is replaced that the bottom gear is not already badly worn ?
From the service manual and parts breakdown diagrams it appears the cam chain is on the right side. Anyway I checked with a mechanics stethascope and my 06 Rage is very noisy, 4645 miles. My wifes 06 Rage, 3916 miles is noisy , but not as bad as mine.
We have good snow , but I have not ridden because of this.

I am in the process of replacing the tensioner on my 06 venture with 2500 miles.
Parts are due in next week and I have removed the old tensioner
A bit of dissembly is required to reach the bolts and remove the part!
I was able to pivot the engine on the front engine mounts after removing the upper frame and rear engine mount.
I recommend the service manual if you attempt
this as it shows all of the steps required under engine removal.
Parts cost for the tensioner, gasket and exhaust donuts =$200 US.
I have 6 hours in the project but I suspect most people could better that.
You may be able to move the engine without removing the upper frame but I pulled it just in case.
It would be great if Yamaha would give us a discount on parts since it is a known design or quality problem.

something smells bad!

corvette327 said:
I am in the process of replacing the tensioner on my 06 venture with 2500 miles.
I was able to pivot the engine on the front engine mounts after removing the upper frame and rear engine mount.
You may be able to move the engine without removing the upper frame but I pulled it just in case.
It would be great if Yamaha would give us a discount on parts since it is a known design or quality problem.

This would also be a great time to remove/replace the stator on these machines, another issue yamaha is avoiding. Yamaha is shooting themselves in the foot with their current attitude. I seriously dout anyone experiencing such issues with a four stroke and having to foot the bill to boot is going to purchase another product from yamaha.
I wonder what legalities are necessary before they begin to listen... Any riders out there with a degree in consumer law?

corvette327 said:

Do you need to pull the top cover off the motor and lock the camshafts, or not necessary? Just curious...

Just did an inpection myself on the cam chain tensioner, it is in fact orange, my dealer told me it was blue, what da?? Also, inspected my clutch side bearings, the one behind the speed sensor was bone dry and the cage was broke, would have broke me down on the trail for sure next year, dealer told me it was not a yes warranty repair?? Told him maybe I should have drove it until it broke the shaft in two then it would have been a warranty repair, time to find a new dealer i think.

Received the parts and finished the tensioner replacement.
Sled is running and I did not have any problems.
If you try it you will be able to back out the engine mount spacers by using vice grips on the inside instead of the special tool on the outside.
It just takes a bit of time to remove and reassemble all the parts!
I am unhappy with Yamahas lack of support on this but compared with brand x two stroke time bombs and the company refusing to acknowledge common problems at all I will stay blue.

You will find service manuals on a link posted by rsvectorfreak on page 4 of this topic.
The link takes you to the yamaha technical bulletins,click the snowmobile tab at the top and select service manuals, good luck.
I have a few pictures of the swap but it looks like you must post them off site with a link?

This is not unique to Yamaha sleds. Cars and trucks also have this very same problem. The one I am familiar with is the Toyota 4 cylinder motor where the very same thing happens where the tensioner fails and the chain cuts a hole into the chain cover and also cuts into the cooling system and dumps antifreeze into the enging. Not aware that Toyota is paying for this error. 05 Vector ER with 5100 miles and no problems here. MiKe Hayden

Back