• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS mechanical cam chain tension problem bulletin

mine had an exhaust valve break a piece off and killed the cylinder
my dealer says yammaha claims this is the first engine failure... ever ...
in canada
(i wonder how many times that line works for)
after 5 weeks they are finally working on it
they said there are no complete engines available, in canada
i wonder if they are all used up
or
is this really the first failure and they were not prepared to replace an engine.
i would think it would be good business to have 1 spare for the whole country...
7850 miles, and mine made the clutch noise since a 1000 mi
unless it was the valves all along :die

just found out today that mine
went and destroyed the engine. The only thing left good was the block. Dealer sais if out of warrenty yamaha does not cover this.

corvette327 said:
You will find service manuals on a link posted by rsvectorfreak on page 4 of this topic.
The link takes you to the yamaha technical bulletins,click the snowmobile tab at the top and select service manuals, good luck.
I have a few pictures of the swap but it looks like you must post them off site with a link?

Can anyone get into this site? The site is asking for a dealer number and password. I plan on replacing the tensioner this summer... just to be safe

Brad

I think Yamaha has deleted the # and password on this link.
I got in after the link was posted, but it wont work now.

I stumbled upon this link while doing a search for the service bulletin...I really don't think Yamaha wanted this to be an open link as it's now password protected and had all the service manuals for everything on that dealer site. Whoops!!!

Yeah I downloaded some stuff before it got pw protected!

RSVECTORFREAK said:
I stumbled upon this link while doing a search for the service bulletin...I really don't think Yamaha wanted this to be an open link as it's now password protected and had all the service manuals for everything on that dealer site. Whoops!!!

PDF File

I have posted the PDF from Yamaha in this topic 3 down from this post.

Hi,- my Vector mountain 2005 mod has the same problem. The cam tension adjuster has not been replaced,- and it caused major engine failure.the lower timeing chain sprocket is totally destroyed! .My Vector has only reached 3300km. I strongly recommend You to check this out! Expencive if Yamaha does not support. Friendly Finnmark, Norway.

PDF File

Here is the original PDF file

Attachments

• S2009-001.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 399
Dropped into my dealer today and discussed a couple of items. Also picked up a set of idlers with interchanable bearings for my 06 vector. The 2010's come with replaceable bearings and they fit all vectors from 2005 up.
I asked about the chain tensioner and he told me that they had one failure with this problem and Yamaha came good for it. Sent a complete drop in engine for the 2005 machine and it was out of warranty at no cost to the owner. Told me he could replace it but he suggested not to as Yamaha was looking at a possible recall if the problem gets to be a major one. Currently it has only affected a handful of machines and is no worse than any other engine problem.

Hi,medic944.I was able to open the file. Thanks a lot. Im going to give this info to my son-in-law for his sleds. I stopped at a new Yamaha dealer recently. If Yamaha decides to make good, I'll be happy. My warranty is good til March 2010. plowking

well i got my sled back with a new engine(07 rst venture)
the dealer says that none of the exhaust gaskets are covered
as they are not part of the engine
so there is 7 or 8 of them and they are $25 each(there goes $200)
and it took 6 weeks to get fixed up
i broke it in on the lake (80 miles worth)
accelerating and decelerating the whole time
it feels good, but has a funny ringing noise
like a loose washer doing the occasional vibration
hope i can get another ride in before the lake thaws ;)!

Do all 2005 Vector owners need to worry about this? Are there any out there that have over 10,000 miles with no problems?

Back