• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX or GT, opinions please

ScottyD

Expert
Hamilton Ontario/sled from Sand Lake/Kearney
As a new member here i must say this is a good site. Here is my question, i'm about 260lbs dressed for riding so which rear suspension will be good for my weight. I ride groomed trails which sometimes are crap after lots of traffic and i don't jump my sleds cause i'm to fat to fly and would rather watch snocross as to try and pretend i'm doing it.I decided against a fx nytro cause i want that extra power, so please give me some pros and cons.

I would go wtih the GT. Reason being is the RTX is more suited for those who want to ride the rough stuff aggresively. The RTX is a little stiff in the small studder bumps for my liking. My GT great on groomed trails and still real good when the trails get junked up. Rider weight really doesnt come into play because both skids can be set up to handle bigger guys. I am 250 with gear on and the best thing I did was up grade the rear spring for my weight. I went with the 6.5 rate. Do a search on here for setting up the rear suspension once you get your sled.

Either way, both great sled and you really cant go wrong. Good luck and go get that late season deal.

I would not buy another RTX. I would go with the GT - with the idea that I'd be spending money to have it tuned to my weight (285).

Save your cash and get a base Attak....I'm 260lbs got the 6.5 spring and revalve....the GT just give ya adjustablility at a greater cost....rode them both and they feel the same to my butt

RTX comes with floats and CK rear skid....for your weight Id recommend the RTX for sure....the GT or ER does not come with FLOATS up front and IMO they are the best you can get....

you DONT WANT A MONO skid for your weight IMO...they are plush and ride like a caddy,and I love the MONO but im only 175lbs.....

if you really like the mono,you must go with bigboy spring...but then id just go for an ER and buy some fox floats for it.

GTs IMO are the LAST sled id buy ..

Dan

I go 250lbs geared up and have roughly 2700 miles on my Apex ER with the stock monoshock spring and valving and rarely do I encounter problems where I am bottoming all the time. Granted I set the dial adjust almost to max stiffness, but the sled rides well and so far I haven't seen a reason to revalve. Haven't ridden a sled with the CK skid so I can't compare, but the mono has been a great skid for me so far!

I've been asking myself the GT vs RTX on the other side of buying one; I got an 08 RTX about a month ago. I got it revalved and now it is very rideable - and rough capible.

my last sled was an x-package doo and i liked the rear on it, i could run it with a soft spring setting and i didn't have to rebuild the rear C36 shock and i put 5,500 miles on it.Revalving the shock wouldn't be bad if i didn't like it.Why is the GT more money, about $500, when you get better shocks on the RTX

I think the GT costs more because of the electronic controls on the shock -- I do not have experience to say how it rides ...

ScottyD said:
As a new member here i must say this is a good site. Here is my question, i'm about 260lbs dressed for riding so which rear suspension will be good for my weight. I ride groomed trails which sometimes are crap after lots of traffic and i don't jump my sleds cause i'm to fat to fly and would rather watch snocross as to try and pretend i'm doing it.I decided against a fx nytro cause i want that extra power, so please give me some pros and cons.

Hey,i notice you ride around where we all ride....cool.

I must say,you might want to ride an attack/LTX....the longtrack is absolutely smooth with the 136mono...and the attacks are fast!...just rode my buddys today and its the fastest apex ive run against so far and its stock...also the smoothest ive rode too.....hes got floats on it too....

you should ride a 136 first...its nice..he actually lives near where you ride in Novar.

Dan

The 07/08 RTX definitely has a stronger, more durable suspension than the regular monoshock Apex and Attak, but I'm not sure I'd really recommend it in stock form. Here are some things to consider:

- In 2008, Yamaha beefed up the monoshock to the point where it holds together quite a bit better than previous years. I still consider the 07/08 RTX stronger though.

- With the monoshock suspension it is easy to revalve the shock and install a heavy duty spring so it rides excellent - regardless of your weight. Unfortunately this doesn't make it any stronger. Just installing the heavy duty spring makes it ride fairly well for heavier riders, but a good revalve makes it ride extremely well.

- With the RTX and its ProActive CK, there really are not any heavy duty spring options available from Yamaha. With anything more than about 220 lbs on the seat, it doesn't have enough ride height. Annoyingly, the heavy duty torsion springs that Yamaha sells for this sled actually lower the ride height.

- The ProActive CK comes from Yamaha with terribly calibrated shock valving. The ride is very harsh on relatively smooth trails, yet it bottoms out easily on rough trails. It also kicks back very badly after bottoming out.

- The ProActive CK is also prone to track ratcheting due to the way the track loosens off during acceleration.

- With a fair bit of work, using custom torsion springs (or rearched Yamaha springs) combined with revalving both the center and main shock, the ProActive CK (RTX) can be made to ride exceptionally well. The installation of Skidoo anti-ratchet drive sprockets combined with a fully punched track 100% resolves the track ratcheting issue. If you are willing to put in the effort and $$$, this suspension can provide the ultimate ride that can also handle very rough trails without bottoming out.

In summary:

Monoshock: Relatively easy to setup for your weight, provides a smooth comfortable ride, but if you ride hard you'll end up breaking pivot arms and possibly cracking slide rails.

ProActive CK (RTX): More work to set up for anyone's weight, rides terrible from the factory, track ratcheting, but with work it rides exceptionally well and it is more durable than the monoshock. For aggressive riding, this is the suspension to get.

My personal preference is the ProActive CK, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to put the effort into getting it right. If you don't ride hard and/or are not willing to make significant changes, the monoshock is probably a better option.

The Attak/LTX does come from the factory setup better than the short track for heavier riders and is definitely worth considering. It does use the monoshock suspension, but a 136" version. It stock form (no "big boy" springs or shock revalves), it would be the best option.

I agree with Rex that the Proactive is the sturdier suspension. Just wondering if the AVERAGE Apex driver needs that extra strength badly enough to warrant having to go through all that this suspension is going to demand to make it right?

That's why I was thinking the Mono may be the better deal w/less hassle.

The Nytro may be a better heavy duty option than the Apex RTX -

Regarding achieving enough preload on the Proactive torsion springs, I think the aftermarket 4 position cams supply all the ride height most guys would ever want - with less hassle than a custom spring. Probably less money too.
(http://ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=48941&highlight=)

i own a gt and weigh 230lbs. used to have an er. wish i kept the er.
gt's rear suspension way too soft in stock form(as was the er), gt's and er's must be revalved and stiffer rate spring. electric wires to gt's shock servo break easily and often. gyt front shocks are ok but not better than plain vanilla er shocks.
never rode a 136" but will consider one next time based on reports.
that's my experience, for what it's worth.

well i think taking all into consideration i'm going to buy an RTX, if i decide i need to revalve the shocks i will after putting on some miles and playing around with the suspension.I'm sure the sled wil be a learning curve for me coming from a Doo especially with clutching, seems Ulmers stuff has no complaints and the collective here seems helpful.Being the only Yamaha in a Doo group should be very interesting

Back