• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rumour or Fake News?

Well... all sleds have their problems and its forums like this one that we all pool together to fix the problems which saves money and a lot of time and figuring and its just great, but I just can't help myself to be thinking if I was looking for a used Yamaha because I could not afford a new one and was on a budget and narrowed my pick down to two sleds that where the same age 10 years old and seemed in good shape both had 10,000 miles on them one being a Apex and the other being a SideWinder in the pro cross, all jokes aside I would be laying my money down on the Apex, no matter how better the Winder rode, the way the pro cross is engineered and built they just can't handle the torque of the Winder or the Viper motors, ten years on that pro cross skid with these engines...Nope

If someone gave me a new SWer, id sell it and find a 18 apex to buy with the money. One thing i notice about the vipers is that the majority of them have a loooong list of aftermarket stuff on them.....wonder why people would change so much stuff on such a great sled? Perplexing

I have had them both,after riding the winder for a season i would never go back to an apex no matter what problems arise!if i had to ride an apex again i would be done riding!

I have had them both,after riding the winder for a season i would never go back to an apex no matter what problems arise!if i had to ride an apex again i would be done riding!
I have a sidewinder that sits in the trailer while I ride my Apex!

Back on track, I think the 847 twin is WAY over built, watching some of the early wolverine videos Yamaha beats their chest on the heavy duty forged internals. At "69hp" those beefy forged internals are pretty much wasted and it's cammed for lowend torque and that super quiet restrictive exhaust system holds it back also. Easily a 90hp engine with a new cam for sled use, 10psi+ boost and 150hp+ is on tap. A "150hp anywhere" motor could be a good complement to the 998t. The question raised is, HOW MUCH LIGHTER is this combo than the 1049na and does the twin allow for a different/better chassis design. If its only on par with a 1049 and doesn't raise the bar on HP much does it really make sense (except for a mountain sled)?

At least you’re picking up something about Yamaha is been a black hole at my Yamaha dealer saying he don’t know nutin.

And do you condider that good or bad?

I have them just because I can, I like them both and want to stay up on both. And that's 2000 on each winder this year. So whats your point? I also have a 2000 SRX, 1995 Vmax4 , 2003 Viper, Supercharged Apex, SS 440 and 84 Vmax 540...LOL

Not sure what I should condider..LOL

Last edited:

Back