• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seat bottom melted

Sasquatch

Lifetime Member
Website
www.dptc.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha's
Well my butt was getting warm last winter, last ride out. Now this winter first ride I notice the warmth again.

Took my seat off and low and behold I have a hole right through the plastic about the size of my fist.

Has anyone else had this happen? Scrounging material to fix it as I type. Pictures to follow.

Not sure if there is an exhaust connection with gasket "donut" in your particular problem area. If so, the exhaust could be leaking, and creating a hot spot.

Just a thought... ;)!

About halfway under the seat, there are two muffler clamps on the two pipes. Also in this area, the tunnel is OPEN (in two small holes for access to the muffler clamps) to the top. My guess is a leak at one of those two clamps that is blowing hot gases up through the holes to the plastic seat.

Ok here are some pics. Note the dark stuff on the tunnel is melted plastic. The aluminum is not heat discoulored or warped.

When I broke trail with it for 10 miles in two feet of fresh snow (two years ago) and it only had a 1,000 miles or so on the odo. I noticed a burning plastic smell. One other time last year I noticed that burnning plastic smell a bit.

Now I found where it came from. I can't seem to find an exaust leak at the muffler and the aluminum shows no sign of severe heat. I do however sit back on the seat and put a lot of weight on the seat against the muffler part of the tunnel.

I fixed the seat melt problem so it won't happen again but I can find no leak in that area ( cover pipes so it builds pressure) looking up inside from underneath by sight or sound. Should hear hissing or see exaust.

Attachments

• P1240338.JPG
    P1240338.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 102
  • P1240337.JPG
    P1240337.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 102
  • P1240336.JPG
    P1240336.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 107
  • P1240335.JPG
    P1240335.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 123
  • P1240334.JPG
    P1240334.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 109
We cannot forget just how big Charlie is.....they call him sasquatch for a reason. Could it be that the heat shield pictured is pressed down against the muffler in that area due to your size.If this is happening it would lose almost all of its effectiveness and the heat would get transmitted right into the seat. Maybe some spacers between the shield and the muffler would help ensure that the air gap stays open in that area for cooling.

POSSIBLITY

Hey Bud the only thing I can think of is Moose poop clooged up in tunnel where muffler at??

I had to do it :jump: :jump: :jump: if you need a seat let me know I have one. Take it easy BIGGUY in usa only.

might be my mind playing tricks, but isn't there a bumper that's supposed to be in that exact area? i could swear i have one right where yours is burned through on my 05 rx.

YA' I'm thinking that burn is shaped just like your backside Charlie LOL!!

Dave :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Lay off the mexican food buddy! J/K

White Knuckle has a shield they put under the cover for the exhaust. Keeps 1/2 of the heat from getting to the aluminum just under the seat. Check the insulation under the exhaust cover that is held on with four 10mm bolts, I bet yours is gone!

Back