• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Secondary clutch bushing failure

I found that peening the sheave next to the bushing (I do it 3 in spots with a punch) eliminated the bushing working loose on machines that seemed to have this problem. The little bit of material sacrificed each time you replace the bushing is trivial. This might be what cannondale27 meant by "stake on sheave next to bushing".

While I think that hot running clutches increase the possibility, it also happened on sleds that run cool clutches, lower HP machines and even new ones. I gave up trying to figure out the root cause and just went with making it stay in place.

fwiw - I found that Loctite sleeve retainer helped some but others still worked loose. Peening hasn't failed yet.

I found that peening the sheave next to the bushing (I do it 3 in spots with a punch) eliminated the bushing working loose on machines that seemed to have this problem. The little bit of material sacrificed each time you replace the bushing is trivial. This might be what cannondale27 meant by "stake on sheave next to bushing".

While I think that hot running clutches increase the possibility, it also happened on sleds that run cool clutches, lower HP machines and even new ones. I gave up trying to figure out the root cause and just went with making it stay in place.

fwiw - I found that Loctite sleeve retainer helped some but others still worked loose. Peening hasn't failed yet.

So you peen on both sides of the bushing?

My new jackshaft and bearing arrived today so time to re-assemble.

So you peen on both sides of the bushing?

My new jackshaft and bearing arrived today so time to re-assemble.
Hope that works for you. It didn’t for me. I used green bearing retainer and used a punch and made 3 punch marks on each side of the bushing.

Hope that works for you. It didn’t for me. I used green bearing retainer and used a punch and made 3 punch marks on each side of the bushing.
I'm going to try and check every km for a bit to make sure it stays put. If not I'll order a new sheave. Damn money pit.

New bushing installed. Used bearing retainer and also
20210202_145812.jpg
let it seep in behind after install. Peened both sides of the bushing. She didn't move today after beating on it. Do you think I can relax now or should it always be in the back of my mind?

New bushing installed. Used bearing retainer and also View attachment 159237 let it seep in behind after install. Peened both sides of the bushing. She didn't move today after beating on it. Do you think I can relax now or should it always be in the back of my mind?

I did the same. Pressed in new bushing, put some loctite retainer on both sides, peened both sides.
We got 14 inches of snow here in Eastern Long Island.
Rode about 20 miles on ice roads....not a good testing location.
Held up, my Son took a rip and got it up to 100 mph.
Can't hold my breath very long! Too old!

:rocks::4STroke: :sled1:

New bushing installed. Used bearing retainer and also View attachment 159237 let it seep in behind after install. Peened both sides of the bushing. She didn't move today after beating on it. Do you think I can relax now or should it always be in the back of my mind?
Relax you did it right with that sleeve retainer!!!

Agreed, Did the same with my secondary after the bushing came out and messed up the jackshaft bearing. 3 small dimples on the backside, won't happen again..

Back