• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Serious exhaust question

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Looking at pic #1 there's not a lot of room at flange, maybe 3/16"
Are guys squeezing the pipe to slightly oval it? Then finish by porting the flange.

Seems way too thin to try and leave pipe round, then port it.

Thoughts?

IMG_20221214_154306625_copy_1536x2048.jpg
IMG_20221214_154355045_copy_1536x2048.jpg

I have made a dozen or so mufflers for these yamicats looking for blends of noise to performance gained, what i do is squeeze the pipe to an oval shape to fill in most the gap, then hand form a bottom angle by waste gate to finish the close off, if i knew how to resize my pics i could show you, seems one out of 100 will post on here for me not needing resize.

Also i weld inside and outside of flange to pipe then hand port flange to gasket match and smoothing weld inside flange, welding inside and outside gives me the material to work with, otherwise yes pipe is to thin to do the needed porting.

I get the gist of what your saying. Seems like the turbo outlet is the limiting factor.
Matching the flange to the pipe lit my eyes up. Lol.

They make a nice machine formed oval to round 3" transition piece that should match up the flange and first elbow pretty well, I'll let you know in a few weeks. This is the one I picked up.... second try on the link, sorry about that first one

Last edited:
They make a nice machine formed oval to round 3" transition piece that should match up the flange and first elbow pretty well, I'll let you know in a few weeks. This is the one I picked up.... second try on the link, sorry about that first one

Nice find...I'll save it! Going 2.5" for now. Ty.....
Please keep us updated!!!
IMG_20221218_152425782_copy_2048x1536.jpg

Nice find...I'll save it! Going 2.5" for now. Ty.....
Please keep us updated!!!
View attachment 170320
Nice layout table setup, I am excited to get mine jigged up on the table. I have plenty of clamps but I may have to burn out some more stands and bolt ons with the cnc as I don’t have many made up

Nice layout table setup, I am excited to get mine jigged up on the table. I have plenty of clamps but I may have to burn out some more stands and bolt ons with the cnc as I don’t have many made up
Well...I don't want to take credit for the meticulous artist I found. He's definitely anal. Which in my case is a good thing. He lives two blocks away. CNC plasma cutter and everything else.
Like I said, keep us posted!!!

Will do for sure, and his shop sounds similar to mine. I am spoiled with cnc table, all processes of welding, got a little powered coating setup and all. But I am working towards a retire from shipping small business

Will do for sure, and his shop sounds similar to mine. I am spoiled with cnc table, all processes of welding, got a little powered coating setup and all. But I am working towards a retire from shipping small business
That's it.....find ways to craft your skills during the golden years.

Wish you the very best...... Joe

Back