• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SIDEWINDER UPPER GEAR FAILURE; AGAIN!

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 SIDEWINDER LTX-LE 50th Anniversary
2016 VIPER XTX LE - WHITE,
2009 VENTURE GT,
1995 POLARIS INDY 500,
1984 SKI-DOO CITATION 3500
:o| :o| :o|

Anger, despair, embarrassment.

Natural feelings when getting towed home, AGAIN.

Another upper gear failure.

First one, no holes, was at 2200 miles. Second one today, with holes, 1500 miles. My friend with 850 XRS is getting tired of towing me home and I am sick of getting towed.

Dealer just received 4 new replacement gears. One of their customers actually went through 3 gears.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THESE FAILURES.

Its a gear, one of many in the same gearcase. Why is this one always failing?

Sidewinders should come standard with a tow rope and a huge warning label on it saying,
"DO NOT DRIVE ALONE".

I absolutely love the power and fun factor with my machine but it all goes away when getting towed.

Are you tuned? Are you running the chain tension to spec?

It seems like these are hit or miss. My dad has almost 7,000 miles on his top gear.

Run 4oz more of chain lube than is recommended ,I use the klotz with graphite in it .

Are you tuned? Are you running the chain tension to spec?

It seems like these are hit or miss. My dad has almost 7,000 miles on his top gear.

First gear was on stock tune, second was on tuned sled.

Mechanic sets tension. Its still on warranty.

What type chain lube you run?

Yamaha oil.

How much?(oz.) and how high is the level in sight glass?

Half glass.

How tight is tensioner?

Mechanic sets it. I didn't remove muffler to check.

How much HP?

Hp is irrelevant. First gear was stock , 2200 miles second was flashed, 1500 miles.

Dan

I Have 2017 Sidewinder and has been tunes from the first day with 7500 miles....I have had no failure but will be taken a look at it this week to see.

I Have 2017 Sidewinder and has been tunes from the first day with 7500 miles....I have had no failure but will be taken a look at it this week to see.

Some are failing and some are not.

:dunno:

I wish I knew why. Dealer also wishes they knew why. All winter I was worried about getting towed home again. That's no fun.

Could it be the ones that are failing have an improperly aligned jackshaft/gears/axle? Remember back in the day when we "blueprinted" our chassis? Out came the squares with tracks off to improve efficiency in the driveline.

I concur on the looser chain as my top gear is like new after over 5000kms on 290 but also not convinced this is the only reason the gears are lasting.

Dealer just received 4 new replacement gears. One of their customers actually went through 3 gears.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THESE FAILURES.

Actually there is........ their mechanic is over tightening the chains.

Actually there is........ their mechanic is over tightening the chains.
I respect you man but you sure seem sure of yourself without enough testing in my opinion. Who knows maybe you didnt use reverse much this last check of bushing? I have said it before I have run mine both at spec of 1.5 out from finger tight and 1 turn out and wear was exactly the same. Never did check alignment of gears. that would make sense if off and explain the wear pattern also.

What happens when the top gear goes out, does it pop out of gear or what?

Back