• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs. Apex

Not strange, it is the same for me. I love to be able to rode without earplugs!!!!
Fact! Even with the Sandale 3" on my SW I still feel like it's more pleasant than the drone my stock Apex had. I did love that sled at the time.

I guess I need BOP MPS because the heavy steering makes me want to keep my Apex and sell my SW

you guys are real funny. I have played with the set up I have put more pressure on the front skid shock and lowered the ski shocks and it helped but it is still a bear in the twist's. I am torn between spending more money on skis (hopefully not to be disappointed) or just calling it. even if I get MPS the thing is twitchy as hell at speed I don't feel comfortable on a grade going top speed.

you guys are real funny. I have played with the set up I have put more pressure on the front skid shock and lowered the ski shocks and it helped but it is still a bear in the twist's. I am torn between spending more money on skis (hopefully not to be disappointed) or just calling it. even if I get MPS the thing is twitchy as hell at speed I don't feel comfortable on a grade going top speed.
I'd expect it's the skis then. Assuming you have stock Tuners? Mine steers and tracks perfectly with Curves and Slim Jims - we had a lot of discussion on this when we were all first setting them up in 2016 and while there are a lot of different preferences across TY, this combo just plain works.

Check your ski alignment.

My first year I ran the stock skis without issue. It took an hour of messing around with setup and once finished I had all the weight off the front end.

Here’s what works for me.

Ski shocks loosen right off till no pressure on springs, then tighten 2 turns.
Centre skid shock keep tightening it until you find the sweet spot.

I like my skis an 1/8 to 1/4 toed out.

Check your ski alignment.

My first year I ran the stock skis without issue. It took an hour of messing around with setup and once finished I had all the weight off the front end.

Here’s what works for me.

Ski shocks loosen right off till no pressure on springs, then tighten 2 turns.
Centre skid shock keep tightening it until you find the sweet spot.

I like my skis an 1/8 to 1/4 toed out.
Yup....great starting point to making it work! Center shock tension is key, and limiter strap too.

I tried many adjustments to get those junk Tuners to work! They still would not turn and yes they were downright dangerous feeling because of the twitchy / nervous handling tendency they gave the sled!

I now have the smoothest set up ever with the Curve skis with Slim Jim’s.
It still steers hard in the twisties though,once I get out of the throttle, but pretty easy steering elsewhere.

If set up for easy steering all over, I’ve ruined the great handling characteristics of this chassis, so one has to compromise! Don’t get me wrong, because I do love my beast, so smooth, powerful and fast!

I am not an anti-Sidewinder guy but I am holding out with my Attak until...hopefully...Yamaha and Cat come up with the next gen chassis. I really like my Attak and have every update you can possibly do on these old sleds.

As far as performance...my Attak has done very well at local drag racing stock class events but a good friend of mine that has a 50th anniversary 100% stock SW effortlessly left me and 2 other Apexs in his dust after 300 feet.
The Sidewinders are awesome sleds but I am not quite sold yet.

I would like the YamaCat guys to update the chassis with more Yamaha quality and less weight.

JM.02c

Back