• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder vs. Apex

Mike, how much does the BOP steering change the turning radius? I love how the sidewinder turns around on the trail while everybody else has to back up to turn around.

It increases it for sure. You're not going to be able to turn without backing on the trail unless you have a wide trail. I didn't find the reduced turn radius to be much if any issue myself. The reduced feedback thru the bars and even easier steering was sooooo nice for me and my bad elbows and shoulders.

I loved my 2015 Apex XTX 144 with tipped rails and installed tall seat kit and bars.
Yes it did not have the performance of my 17 Winder but I would have ordered a 50th Apex if Yamaha had not put a 146 suspension and air shock in the rear.

Hey Kinger I know we just spent all day discussing the Apex, but you and the rest of the TYers are making me think long and hard about the winders. Love the looks of them. Kind of tired of the 4-stroke weight though. Also sat on a few winders. Much different seating position than the Apex. Feels like your sitting much higher on top of the sled where the Apex has a sit in feel. Decisions Decisions

I can’t say it’s better or worse yet, just different. Did you like the soft seats on the apex’s or the mountain firms ones? I rode the firm and honestly don’t feel much taller sittting on the sled. There are more buzz’s and vibrations then I am used to. I liked tall bars on the apex and the btx are almost perfect to sit and stand. The 4 cyl was just such a sweet engine. It’s really hard to give up all that rpm and sound. This sounds less like a sport bike and more like a tractor but not NEAR as bad as the 1100T cat. I’m hoping the exhaust gives it some kick and sound. Honestly I wouldn’t pay $15k for them new. I got mine a 17 new in the crate for stupid cheap, the only reason I’m in it. For 15k you can build an apex that is amazing. It’s tough... I like them both! Still love the apex though. An impulse turbo set up just balances the sled and the rush of power was just insanity. My adrenaline kicked in squeezing the throttle every time and it made me giggle it was so stupid fast. So that is what I am comparing to. A SW to stock apex oh god it’s all Winder. A winder to a boosted apex at 10-12psi and good suspension the margin thins out.

I ended up with 180 miles in the freak series of blizzards in north Iowa between March 23rd and April 16th. I can honestly say I really miss the 4 cyl, its smoother, and sounds better. I have a spare boosted apex parts sled I was going to part out but instead I will probably build as another sled so I can ride both side by side and get more comparisons. The SW is fast, handles good but just not feeling it. I need more time on the winder and a flash/muffler which is in the works. Taking trips will be fun with my choice of Apex or SW! First world problems LOL.

would like to say, my apex is my spare to my spare, we closed the season on Monday with some silk riding on the lake. premium speed type surface. my stock 13000 mile 06 apex hit 124 on the dreamometer consistently several runs. winder was already put away, but all season I never saw 115 on that

would like to say, my apex is my spare to my spare, we closed the season on Monday with some silk riding on the lake. premium speed type surface. my stock 13000 mile 06 apex hit 124 on the dreamometer consistently several runs. winder was already put away, but all season I never saw 115 on that
Dream-o-meter . . . My Apex LTX never saw more than 106 mph GPS in perfect conditions, which was ~125 on the dream-o-meter before I ground the speedo gear. My Winder is a different world - same day/air, same surface, otherwise it isn't apples-to-apples. I loved my Apex at the time, but no way I could ever go back now.

Your winder is going faster at 115 than your Apex is while reading 124.

Clarifying here I’m comparing a completely custom apex impulse turbo ZX2 suspension, light weight, corner balanced mod sled to the bone stock not even broke in SW. The fact the winder is still in the running is amazing to me. You can holler cat quality all you want, this sled is damn good out of the crate miles and miles and miles above a out of the crate Apex.

I wouldn’t ride a stock apex for 1 day now as spoiled as I am.

So completely custom boosted apex vs Sidewinder. I’m loving the idea of a flash and muffler to get almost the same power as the $9k impulse turbo kit! Dang I just wish it was a 11k rpm 4 banging screamer!

My buddy has an 08 Apex LTX with a Yamacharger. Have seen 123 on his GPS max after a nice long run on with a slight downhill grade. His speedo was at 137 he said.
We trade sleds often and there is a very big noticeable difference between the 2. The Apex at 100 feels kinda like my winder at 85-90. The Apex speedo exaggerates way more..

Clarifying here I’m comparing a completely custom apex impulse turbo ZX2 suspension, light weight, corner balanced mod sled to the bone stock not even broke in SW. The fact the winder is still in the running is amazing to me. You can holler cat quality all you want, this sled is damn good out of the crate miles and miles and miles above a out of the crate Apex.

I wouldn’t ride a stock apex for 1 day now as spoiled as I am.

So completely custom boosted apex vs Sidewinder. I’m loving the idea of a flash and muffler to get almost the same power as the $9k impulse turbo kit! Dang I just wish it was a 11k rpm 4 banging screamer!

Kinger,
I feel your pain. I too have both, but as of late i've noticed something very strange.

The 11k scream of the Apex which I used to find intoxicating, I now find annoying.

The low throaty hum of the winder is now my sound of choice. Of course it has a tune and a pipe, but never the less, the low rpm growl is my new high and my preference......strange, but true!!

My apex would scream at 10,000 rpm to maintain 80mph, while the winder turns 6k. Sometimes I chuckle in my helmet thinking 20 years ago I had 2 smokes that engaged at 6k....now I'm doing 80mph. Lol

Kinger,
I feel your pain. I too have both, but as of late i've noticed something very strange.

The 11k scream of the Apex which I used to find intoxicating, I now find annoying.

The low throaty hum of the winder is now my sound of choice. Of course it has a tune and a pipe, but never the less, the low rpm growl is my new high and my preference......strange, but true!!

My apex would scream at 10,000 rpm to maintain 80mph, while the winder turns 6k. Sometimes I chuckle in my helmet thinking 20 years ago I had 2 smokes that engaged at 6k....now I'm doing 80mph. Lol
LOL!! Free air Sno Jet, with a 6200 rpm engagement!!!! Still fun, back in the day....

LOL!! Free air Sno Jet, with a 6200 rpm engagement!!!! Still fun, back in the day....

Lol......Sometimes I wish things would go back to when a 440 was a big sled. Back then one could ride snowmobile and still afford groceries!! Lol

I have a 2006 Apex Supercharged, 2011 Apex and near new 2018 Apex, just recently I rode the 2018 for 150 miles and then jumped on the Sidewinder Tuned to 270+ and it wasnt even about the power then it was about how old the 2018 felt on the trail.. it was strange. I prefer to by on my Winder over the Apex. Actually I have a 235hp 2014 Viper that still feels newer and more current then the feel of an Apex. That is the thoughts me and my fiance have about it.., I let her ride my Winder and I couldn't get her off it nor could I even try to catch her on the damn thing...LOL

And the Winder would still be waiting for the Apex at the end of the lake. I ride with 6 Apexes not one was close to my all stock Winder with the 1.6 Ice Cobra which hampers top end by severa MPH. Now with tunes . . . Cmon man.

https://instagram.com/p/Bawf7SND9Kq/
Less than 100 miles on my Winder when I dusted these Apexes top to bottom.

Last edited:

Not strange, it is the same for me. I love to be able to rode without earplugs!!!!

Back