• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sorry Yamaha 10,000 kms and no new changes so bye bye

I like my 2008 Nytro a lot, however I haven't had another sled that I had to pour as much money into things that should have been done from the factory in my opinion.

I really like the confidence I have in the motor and originally thought that if I get bored with the sled down the road I may turbo or super charge it rather than getting a new sled.

However I can see that with Arctic Cats new line up of factory turbo sleds, selling my Nytro to purchase a factory turbo will have to be considered along side putting another $5,000 into mine. That will put me at well over the twenty grand mark and next year the sled will be 5 years old.

I expect there are lots of people like me. I only hope that Arctic Cats line up gives Yamaha an incentive to step their game up. That way I may have three choice, turbo existing sled, new Arctic Cat, or new Yamaha.

Every one wins when there is competition.

I hear what you guys are saying about having other options... i look at the new sleds from Polaris and cat I do start thinking about what the grass is like on the other side.

I know YAMAHA is capable of making a sled like the new 1100 turbo from Cat. I really don't need that much engine personally but a chassis that is 60+ lbs lighter would be awesome. I also agree with stopdropandroll about the need to fix some of the little things that add up.

I guess I'm lucky because I will likely have my nytro for another few years still because if I was in the market for a new sled I know the competition has some mouth watering options.

I know I want to stick with 4 strokes... but you have to admit the other companies are offering some sweet 4 strokes too. Yamaha is at a disadvantage because I think the other companies looked at the flaws in Yamaha's models and made sure they addressed them.

One example that comes to mind aside from the obvious ball joints, hyfax and bushing issues is the rear exit exhaust. It was a selling feature at first but Yamaha needs to tuck it into the tunnel and make room for storage on any new models. I still think rear exit exhaust is the way to go to balance the sled out.

i hope MY 2013 brings an updated Nytro! It's about that time... and i know it can be lighter because it has already been done by other companies!

Anyway my 2 cents.

Rear exhaust is the only way to go on a four-stroke.But on the other hand there are alot of people who like the nose heavy feel of having the exhaust on the front end :o| .Wonder if these people would buy a motorcycle with the muffler on the front forks :jump: .

Well at least you won't have to worry about anyone wanting to steal it lol. Just kidding man good luck with it they say the 4 strokes cats are nice but don't have the balls like a yammy or a doo.

I hope you are joking about not having balls? are you referring to quickness vs long legs? Even so I think that the one detail that we are all overlooking here is the benefits of a factory turbo. If you want more power on a turbo cat...add a boost controller and crank it up. Want more power out of a yam...$5k turbo kit. Only downside is both void warranty...given the track record of first year production cats-you might want that warranty.

IMO, 1 of 2 things will happen soon, either Yamaha will drop a bomb on the industry soon (my prediction, as stated in other posts, will be 2013) or they will get out of sled business. From a marketing stand point, they need something 'new' to get attention again. Prime example of this is look at Cat, no one has ridden these machines, but people are jumping ship over something new (The new Cat's do resemble 2 other manufactures sleds). Can't blame anyone for trying something new. Bottomline is we all enjoy sledding, best drug out there. I have to say my Yamaha has caused me zero problems on the trail (none of my other sleds have done that), the smoothness and spot-on power of the 4-stroke just add to excitement of sledding, and it does a good job of bashing moguls.

Enjoy your new Cat and ride-report back please.

low slung said:
Rear exhaust is the only way to go on a four-stroke.But on the other hand there are alot of people who like the nose heavy feel of having the exhaust on the front end :o| .Wonder if these people would buy a motorcycle with the muffler on the front forks :jump: .

Your joking right? the nose heaviest sleds on the market today are the yamaha's.

Cat took 60 pounds right off the front of the 2012 sleds. plus another 15 in other places.

take a look at this chart from the real world amsnow shootout this year. it's not looking good for some company.

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 99
low slung said:
i totally dis-agree...one of the worst features of my nytro was the rear exhaust...tunnell full and i mean full of ice all the time...melted many gas jugs also,doesnt help the nytro has a piddly gas tank...yammie needs to pull their head out,their line-up offers nothing vs the 1200doo and m1100t...

136monoshock said:
low slung said:

Your joking right? the nose heaviest sleds on the market today are the yamaha's.

Rear exhaust is not exactly the way to go. Many sleds have ice build up, but i like mine on my phazer I have not had any ice problems. For me I like it because it balances the sled out. My phazer is not front heavy, flies beautifully when in the air and I think the rear exhaust has a lot to do with it plus i like the look a lot.

DITCHBANGER said:
low slung said:
i totally dis-agree...one of the worst features of my nytro was the rear exhaust...tunnell full and i mean full of ice all the time...melted many gas jugs also,doesnt help the nytro has a piddly gas tank...yammie needs to pull their head out,their line-up offers nothing vs the 1200doo and m1100t...

Now you're the one who must be joking. The Nytro most certainly does compare quite well with the 1200 Doo.

Yamaha does need to pull their head out of their #*$&@, though, and fix the minor things wrong with the Nytro while they're waiting to come out with whatever major update they're planning. A gas tank for grown-ups, the gauge package off the Apex, handwarmers and switch gear that make sense, and some storage, and they'd have an attractive sled again.

no im not joking....doo's exhaust is better(no ice build up and you can put gas or luggage on the back without a goofy adapter to tip the exhaust out of the way),gas tank is better as it runs the length of the tunnel..sure you can get a larger tank for the nytro but the nytro is top heavy to begin with,so adding more mass up high is not better..lets not even go into the subframe-balljoints..and the doo is alot lighter..yamaha was ahead of the game with the 4 stroke market and they have let doo and cat pass them with flying colours..im not biased...its just the truth

DITCHBANGER said:
no im not joking....doo's exhaust is better(no ice build up and you can put gas or luggage on the back without a goofy adapter to tip the exhaust out of the way),gas tank is better as it runs the length of the tunnel..sure you can get a larger tank for the nytro but the nytro is top heavy to begin with,so adding more mass up high is not better..lets not even go into the subframe-balljoints..and the doo is alot lighter..yamaha was ahead of the game with the 4 stroke market and they have let doo and cat pass them with flying colours..im not biased...its just the truth

If you're thinking that the Doo is without structural issues, you are indeed biased.

read the nytro forum...read the 1200 forum....tell me which one talks about bent bulkheads/subframes the most...again.. im not biased

136monoshock said:
low slung said:

Cat took 60 pounds right off the front of the 2012 sleds. plus another 15 in other places.

take a look at this chart from the real world amsnow shootout this year. it's not looking good for some company.

I keep reading about this "60 lbs" cat took off the front of the sled, but when you look at the weight charts that where realesed in the over sea's markets the weights are not to far from a nytro. That chart is probably one of the most biased things I have seen, a ski doo tnt ace although light does not come in at "521lbs" wet. plus you have to read the note that it was not weighed with studs like the rest.

I thought this site was supposed to be for Yamaha Enthusiast's but since the cat release I have read so much distaste and bashing of the Yamaha Motor Company it almost makes me regret my decision of buying a Nytro.

Every manufacture in every powersports industry has problems of some kind, thats a fact some more annoying then others. No matter how hard any industries tries to test everything, once something is released to the public they will find the issues with them guarenteed.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I feel you should buy what you like, want, and ulltimatley can afford to keep you in the great sport of snowmobiling. Its going to be a long summer if everybody bashes the motor company.

Back