• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Submerged Yamaha rs venture 2008 4 stroke

Country
USA
Snowmobile
08 Yamaha rs venture 2up
05 Yamaha rs rage 1up
Hello All - had a rough weekend, accidentally drive over water when on lake Friday night. Bubbler for a dock wasn’t expected to be so big...

Went in Friday around 630pm, out Monday at 11am. It was idling when it went down, key was on and kill switch wasn’t tripped

Towed a half mile without belt to get off the ice

Started working on it Monday night
- remove battery air intake
- open all accessible electronic connections spray with crc and leave open
- drained crank case (more than 5 quarts of water in addition to the oil)
- pulled plugs and put in mystery oil
- put back in overfill crankcase w 2 extra quarts
- sprayed fogging oil in carbs
- turn over by hand - turns easy, sprayed out water from cylinder then some mystery oil

Tuesday afternoon
- drain gas tank 95percent (wasn’t full by the way)
- drain gear case - loaded w water and oil like mud / white
- overloaded w mystery oil to flush water out ( lifted track and turned by hand to move oil around). Left like that
- took off instrument panel, Baked in oven for 40 minutes at 170 and left in, appears to have dried out

Business trip Wednesday and most of Thursday (as of this post on the trip)

Questions
- what next?
- drain and refill crank and gear cases with appropriate oil
- put more minimum electronics together to start ( jump directly from a battery, or try real system)
- what else to carbs?
- how to confirm exhaust empty? Do I care?
- How about intakes?
- all advice welcome

easyest way to empty exhaust is to lift the front of the sled and put each ski on a milk crate. that should get enough water out it will be safe to start it.

from what you have done, i would turn it over for 30 sec with plugs out before throwing it together enough to try and start and run it.

Hello All - had a rough weekend, accidentally drive over water when on lake Friday night. Bubbler for a dock wasn’t expected to be so big...

Went in Friday around 630pm, out Monday at 11am. It was idling when it went down, key was on and kill switch wasn’t tripped

Towed a half mile without belt to get off the ice

Started working on it Monday night
- remove battery air intake
- open all accessible electronic connections spray with crc and leave open
- drained crank case (more than 5 quarts of water in addition to the oil)
- pulled plugs and put in mystery oil
- put back in overfill crankcase w 2 extra quarts
- sprayed fogging oil in carbs
- turn over by hand - turns easy, sprayed out water from cylinder then some mystery oil

Tuesday afternoon
- drain gas tank 95percent (wasn’t full by the way)
- drain gear case - loaded w water and oil like mud / white
- overloaded w mystery oil to flush water out ( lifted track and turned by hand to move oil around). Left like that
- took off instrument panel, Baked in oven for 40 minutes at 170 and left in, appears to have dried out

Business trip Wednesday and most of Thursday (as of this post on the trip)

Questions
- what next?
- drain and refill crank and gear cases with appropriate oil
- put more minimum electronics together to start ( jump directly from a battery, or try real system)
- what else to carbs?
- how to confirm exhaust empty? Do I care?
- How about intakes?
- all advice welcome
Tried

did it fire up? you did empty the carb bowl's i hope.

did it fire up? you did empty the carb bowl's i hope.

Did the tilt thing Thursday night, and hooked up all the dry connections, tried to turnover, no luck!

Friday morning - realized the kill switch was still off - in business! Turned it over as proposed, was excited...

Put in plugs and hooked up wires, ran a little using starter fluid, wouldn't run beyond starter fluid, excess oil was coming out, as i hadn't hooked up the air intake yet...

Emptied oil to approx. level, hooked up airtake and ran starter fluid 5 or 6 times, crappy old can of fluid wouldn't spray well enough to run for 30 seconds or so...

Great idea on the carb bowls - taking apart intake now, will see how hard to empty bowls, thanks!

Keep at it and it will go. Probably have to change the oil a few times.
It runs 5-20 seconds at a time, initially from starter fluid, but now seems to be off of gas, the longer is when i put fluid in... I put a couple gallons of fresh gas in the tank. Going to change the crankcase again, as it came out milky on the second change as well

It runs 5-20 seconds at a time, initially from starter fluid, but now seems to be off of gas, the longer is when i put fluid in... I put a couple gallons of fresh gas in the tank. Going to change the crankcase again, as it came out milky on the second change as well

Sounds like you still have water in the gas. Did you drain the floats? maybe try blowing out some of the fuel lines too. If it runs for 30 seconds the motor should be fine for you. Just make sure you chane the oil untill its no longer milky. Ideally you want to let the engine get hot, and then change it.

Tried running gas thru the carbs, doesn't seem to be picking up from the fuel filter. Someone brought up the idea of the fuel filter(s). Should i replace the tank based fuel filters in addition to running it more from the carburetor, trying to get it to prime through whatever water or blockage...

Fuel pump? That has diphragm pumps, right? Our old vectors need gas sprayed in the air tubes several times before running, after sitting for as little as a month. Somehow pressurize the fuel tank so the gas flows to the carbs, after cleaning everything then spray into the carb intakes, all three..make sure to lay the air box cover back on, they backfire sometimes and shoot a nice flame out the front...

Here's the latest - still can't get to run for more than 15-35 seconds. Seems to be all based on the gas in the carbs... Ordered new gas filters, pulled them off and just have it sucking gas without the filters. Probably a bad idea, but couldn't wait any longer! Pressurized tank via the vent feed, and thought it worked, but couldn't keep going. Put in 2 more gallons of premium gas in tank so enough, and to offset if i had put a little too much heet in with the first 2 gallons. Also put in new spark plugs...

might need to pull the carbs and clean the pilots. they are very easily plugged.

I would definitely pull the carbs off and go thru them, remove the tank to empty it and then add fresh gas and blow out all the fuel lines/pumps, it doesn't take much water to ruin the gas

where on the lake did this happen Bill? I am in Peggy's Cove...

I would definitely pull the carbs off and go thru them, remove the tank to empty it and then add fresh gas and blow out all the fuel lines/pumps, it doesn't take much water to ruin the gas

where on the lake did this happen Bill? I am in Peggy's Cove...
Going to try one more time tomorrow - we are in Alton bay, and this was out by mouth of bay, one of first houses on left coming back in!

Back