• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Taking a peek at things

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Couple things I noticed. When should I be concerned about deflection. Belt is about 1/16th under secondary. And track could be too loose. I'm hardly pushing on it? 2.25" is no problem when applying pressure.

IMG_20161223_172242397-640x380.jpg
IMG_20161223_172349510-640x380.jpg

belt deflection is an over rated spec...and with the reverse setups on these machines...loose deflection (sitting a bit low) is good..yours is fine...if you were drag racing we might want it a bit higher
as to the track...you have combo drivers...you can run as loose as you want or until it ratchets then tighten a tad...

belt deflection is an over rated spec...and with the reverse setups on these machines...loose deflection (sitting a bit low) is good..yours is fine...if you were drag racing we might want it a bit higher
as to the track...you have combo drivers...you can run as loose as you want or until it ratchets then tighten a tad...

Ok.....well, idk? I always thought tight is right. I've never seen a track this loose in my life. Leave it?

Loosen till it ratchets......I have a lot to learn.

You got a 2ply correct.........1 ply is tight is right as they balloon.......you running studs?

On the deflection......never mind where it's sitting in the secondary.......with the track off the ground and with it idling does the track want to turn, and can you get it to turn with just a bit of pressure using your finger to turn it?

If so thats where you want it drag racing or not.....you want it to start off in 1st gear don't you.....

You got a 2ply correct.........1 ply is tight is right as they balloon.......you running studs?

On the deflection......never mind where it's sitting in the secondary.......with the track off the ground and with it idling does the track want to turn, and can you get it to turn with just a bit of pressure using your finger to turn it?

If so thats where you want it drag racing or not.....you want it to start off in 1st gear don't you.....

Ok, I understand deflection. Yes 2-ply. Sooo loose????

I'm not saying optimally you don't want the belt at the top of the secondary...which BTW you can't judge on a stand for those reading..you absolutely would...but to me...you want a belt not at the top of the driven (tight) more so for the reverse-gearbox .
If you go into the annals of hcs....you'll find a thread were all the top turbo tuners were trying to figure out the belt blowing and reverse issues...I concluded a loose deflection helped both...and it has..although not solving the blowing...it's all but solved the reverse.

As to the track...again..I said you can ruin as lose as you want..but the spec I think is 2" at 25 lbs..I use the two fingers in while I'm pushing down scientific measure..as this is the one thing I'm not analysis about...

On a single ply or a non finger diver..more important for sure

For deflection you definitely don't want belt to tight if it squeals while stopped loosen deflection for sure. This chassis has so much resistance in suspension when on the stand I would not attempt setting deflection other than to set belt in the secondary only and get it about even for a start point. Then fine tune it out in the snow. Its so easy to do now and only takes a couple minutes. My 800 will roll across shop floor with ski dollies and a push with one hand dry. Track rolls so easy. The Viper is like the brakes are on. Difference is the extroverts and the rail profile slightly. Those extroverts don't roll at all till wet from snow. I am with SJ. Loose is better than tight for both deflection and track for all but drag racers. Over in Viper section deflection is the number 1 most asked question because everyone tries setting it on stand and results will vary greatly because of the drag of suspension. Just get it safe on stand then dial it in on trail and remember the second clutches are engaged all belt deflection settings are doing nothing at all don't overthink this setting.

The 8jp(stock) belt WILL ride lower in secondary. Its just the way it is(its shorter).. the 8dn will ride above secondary..

If its squealing its to tight AND you will have issues with going into reverse > ask me how I know!

Got it & thanks. All intake fitting were a little on the loose side. Gave them a snug. Also turbo bolts were good. Only thing I noticed was Coolant is low. Looks to be the old style coolant. True? Or special....

I have a quart of green. Was going to throw it out. Nothing I have takes the old green. Just my thought.
I used some coolant just the other day. It was orange/brown and once in tank it turned green. I kid you not. Spectro brand maybe? Its the cat in there making it green!

Back