• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

talk me out of buying a skidoo over a Ntyro

I'm personally waiting to see if Doo will actually release the 185HP HO version of the 1200. If so I will seriously consider it. I know there is alot of potential in that engine with relatively cheap mods. Have you sat on both? I like the XP myself.

sheetwright said:
Why if you are looking at a Ski Doo wouldn't you look at the 1200? So much potential. I wouldn't do this, but IF I had to make a choice 600e-tec or a 1200 4-tec. I would go with the four IMO

I am told by a couple in the know that Turbo kits for the 1200 are at a 100% failure rate

Nitrousman1 said:
I've got an 09 XP 800r X package and I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it gets bad gas mileage when you're on it hard. I ride the U.P. and ride faster than most and love to hammer it out of the corners and every long stretch and I can still get 150+ miles on a tank of gas. My 2003.5 REV 800 never blew up and had about 8,000 miles on it when I sold it last year still running strong. I bought a boosted Nytro this summer so I'm anxious to ride it and see how it compares with my XP. After I get some miles on the Nytro I'll decide which one I'm selling. I love how the XP handles and in stock form it has a ton of power and I got 1500 miles on the original belt which is still on the sled. My problem is I'm a Horsepower junkie so I'm really hoping I can get the Nytro to handle close to the XP so I can keep it but we'll see. The Nytro is a 2008 RTX with an MPI supercharger making about 240HP. Praying for early snow.

Two things the Nytro might make 240 "on race gas" but not on Pump.

Second thing I hope the 08 has an upgraded 09 front end. Other wise your going to hate the corning

dirkdiggler said:
sheetwright said:
Why if you are looking at a Ski Doo wouldn't you look at the 1200? So much potential. I wouldn't do this, but IF I had to make a choice 600e-tec or a 1200 4-tec. I would go with the four IMO

I am told by a couple in the know that Turbo kits for the 1200 are at a 100% failure rate

From what I heard. It was the transfer of power out of the engine. All the drive components are made so light, and enough only for the existing power, or minor power upgrades that turbo's snap shafts like crazy. If you are basically riding stock with just exhaust, clutch, and programmer upgrades, you should be allright. I think :dunno:

dirkdiggler said:
Nitrousman1 said:
I've got an 09 XP 800r X package and I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say it gets bad gas mileage when you're on it hard. I ride the U.P. and ride faster than most and love to hammer it out of the corners and every long stretch and I can still get 150+ miles on a tank of gas. My 2003.5 REV 800 never blew up and had about 8,000 miles on it when I sold it last year still running strong. I bought a boosted Nytro this summer so I'm anxious to ride it and see how it compares with my XP. After I get some miles on the Nytro I'll decide which one I'm selling. I love how the XP handles and in stock form it has a ton of power and I got 1500 miles on the original belt which is still on the sled. My problem is I'm a Horsepower junkie so I'm really hoping I can get the Nytro to handle close to the XP so I can keep it but we'll see. The Nytro is a 2008 RTX with an MPI supercharger making about 240HP. Praying for early snow.

Two things the Nytro might make 240 "on race gas" but not on Pump.

Second thing I hope the 08 has an upgraded 09 front end. Other wise your going to hate the corning

I hate when people say that about the 08 cornering.Yes they are not as refined as the new style. This subject has been beat to death. I put Ulmers bushings in, and machined the ball joints, and think she runs great on my C&A's. It is all how you want to ride. The 09's and newer, get ridden like a lady, and the 08's get ridden like a cheap date. Hard, and fast. Lot's of leaning, in an out of corners, slight slide with the skis, then they, and the studs stick. Then you nail the throttle out of the corner, and gone! If you want to ride her easy she does feel tippy. A narrow front end geometry, bad original ski's, and a higher stance then a non rider forward sled, makes some guys nervous. Same as a a set of thigh high's, black boots, and a short skirt might make some nervous. Cause it is not as refined. BUT, if you know what to do with it; it will be a hell of a ride ;)!

Oh Ya! Were getting off subject. Back to Ski doos :tg:

Mighty said:
I'm personally waiting to see if Doo will actually release the 185HP HO version of the 1200. If so I will seriously consider it. I know there is alot of potential in that engine with relatively cheap mods. Have you sat on both? I like the XP myself.

this might end up being a pipedream....2012 emissions are right are around the corner and it might be to difficult to pass a ho 1200...Im betting on a sdi 800 2 smoker first..

Nitrousman1 said:

If you get 150miles to a tank on 800R running it WFO and I mean average 75-80+mph for WFO on good long straight streches, then , then I call BS on that because you will just not get it. Also, @240hp on a Nytro and you will need to be running race gas, so it won't blow up. Pump fuel won't cut it.

sj said:
Mighty said:

this might end up being a pipedream....2012 emissions are right are around the corner and it might be to difficult to pass a ho 1200...Im betting on a sdi 800 2 smoker first..
Why wouldn't Doo's 4 stroke make the emisions, you lost me SJ?

just speculating...
right now only their e-tec 600 and 600 sdi meet in the 2 stroke family....the 800 doesnt I believe..
the 1200 probably does, but going to a higher output with triple throttle bodies needed to make that power might not make it...maybe it will and maybe it wont ...I believe the 800 wont and think this is where they would be focusing..
also very interesting how the weight "bait" thing is always in the back of peoples minds...yet once they are wet weighed doo vs yam.. its a different story...I think I read there's only a 20lb difference between a shorty nytro filled and a 1200..
heck even the super lightweight tnt gains 100lbs when wet...
If it was me...Id only consider a doo after at least a couple yrs of working the bugs out...but what seems to happen after the first yr "bait" ...they start beefing the weak areas up and they gain the weight back..kinda like A C did with the f7..
the first yr was the lightest and fastest...by the time they got 3-4 yrs on them they gained like 50 lbs...
the way I ride Id rather have the strength and durability there from the start...and a good warranty is one you never have to use!

I am not an emissions expert but I do know a fair amount about it. And I know Ski-doo's 4 stroke is the cleanest snowmobile engine on the market. On the Normalized emission rating scale that rates emissions from 0-10 with 0 being the cleanest. The 4-tec is a 0. I believe all Yamahas 4 strokes are like a 1 or 2 so they are also ridiculously clean. The 600 E-tec was originally going to be rated a 2 I believe. But then with some last minute changes by ski-doo it ended up rating 4. Most SDI or carbed 2-strokes rate 5-9 depending on the engine

All these numbers are on a tag on the handlebars when the sled is new in the showroom.

Ski-doo will have no problem passing emissions with a 1200 HO, in my opinion.

Yamaha as well is also set for the 2012 emissions already.

tkuss said:
I am not an emissions expert but I do know a fair amount about it. And I know Ski-doo's 4 stroke is the cleanest snowmobile engine on the market. On the Normalized emission rating scale that rates emissions from 0-10 with 0 being the cleanest. The 4-tec is a 0. I believe all Yamahas 4 strokes are like a 1 or 2 so they are also ridiculously clean. The 600 E-tec was originally going to be rated a 2 I believe. But then with some last minute changes by ski-doo it ended up rating 4. Most SDI or carbed 2-strokes rate 5-9 depending on the engine

All these numbers are on a tag on the handlebars when the sled is new in the showroom.

Ski-doo will have no problem passing emissions with a 1200 HO, in my opinion.

Yamaha as well is also set for the 2012 emissions already.

I see..good to know...wonder why they didnt bring it this year then?

dont you think they'd focus on the 800 as a priority first..?
I bet the e-tec bumped to 4 because they were too lean and going "squeek"....

so you also believe the mystery H O 1200 is in the making...hopefully this pushes yam to bring it too!

sj said:
also very interesting how the weight "bait" thing is always in the back of peoples minds...yet once they are wet weighed doo vs yam.. its a different story...I think I read there's only a 20lb difference between a shorty nytro filled and a 1200..
Very true but do keep in mind that the Nytro only has like a 3 gallon tank so they will appear closer when wet :moon:

Mighty said:
sj said:
Very true but do keep in mind that the Nytro only has like a 3 gallon tank so they will appear closer when wet :moon:

use that butt crack to hold all the money you will be burning at $10.00 per quart in that sdi...plus it can help cushion you from that rougher ride than my shiney new XTX.. :yam:

Back