• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tech Tip...Determining if driveshaft has spun

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
I get a lot of people that ask me what the easiest method is to determine if the drive shaft has been spinning so I wanted to share my findings. I find that removing the brake rotor and inspecting the backside of the hub is the quickest way to determine if you have an issue. If the shaft has spun, the face of the hub that seats against the bearing inner race will have lips worn on it. If you drag your fingernail across the face and it catches 2 lips/burrs then the shaft has spun. The bigger the lip, the more wear the shaft likely has. Below are some pictures. First picture is a perfect face. Second has slight lip, and the 3rd was removed from a sled with .015 of wear on the shaft.

rotor 1.jpg

rotor 2.jpg
rotor 3.jpg

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
I get a lot of people that ask me what the easiest method is to determine if the drive shaft has been spinning so I wanted to share my findings. I find that removing the brake rotor and inspecting the backside of the hub is the quickest way to determine if you have an issue. If the shaft has spun, the face of the hub that seats against the bearing inner race will have lips worn on it. If you drag your fingernail across the face and it catches 2 lips/burrs then the shaft has spun. The bigger the lip, the more wear the shaft likely has. Below are some pictures. First picture is a perfect face. Second has slight lip, and the 3rd was removed from a sled with .015 of wear on the shaft.

View attachment 162634
View attachment 162633View attachment 162632

And usually when it gets grooved enough its a real bear to pull off.

sailor joe

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 RS VENTURE TF
2020 SIDEWINDER GT
You're the best Travis and I'll be ordering an oil bypass for the ROV...brilliant!! I know it's a different subject matter. Joe