• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Arcitc Cat Float suspension thread

Nikolai said:
My front mounting holes are layed out based off an M series with numbers from a combination of members, mostly M5.

I also got the meaurements from M5.

Beeze - I got it mounted on the front pretty much like OTM's diagram. Feels pretty good, but there is not much snow to get too rowdy on.

Ten miles yesterday on the road mostly, then some noboarding. Going out right now, just sleddin, no skis or boards. Pictures coming soon.

Lightweight Rear Suspension Kit assembled.

Weight 19.0 kg / 41.85 lbs with ice scratchers.
Center swingarm c-c approximately 410 mm / 16.14".
Upper rear scissors c-c approximately 283 mm / 11.14".
Lower rear scissors c-c approximately 104 mm / 4.09".
Rear shock pull rod c-c 352 mm / 13.86".

Attachments

• Alatalo_121216_3.JPG
    Alatalo_121216_3.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Alatalo_121216_2.JPG
    Alatalo_121216_2.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Alatalo_121216_1.JPG
    Alatalo_121216_1.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 295
Performance update: New skid is kicking #*$&@.

No pics yet. Too deep. However the sled is performing very noticeably better in the deep. And it's gettin real deep in the West Elks right now.

So far so good. Yeah!

Sitting at the laundromat, figured I'd post some pics

New cat skid in the nytro

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 300
Nuknuk:

Glad to hear its working well. By now you've probably noticed it doesn't ratchet with the track really slack. That is the one thing that surprised me. You can actually change out hyfax without ever taking tension off the track!

Seeing your picture, I was laughing quite a bit. I can see that your rear axle is pretty far forward which, like mine, is where I'd expect to see it. Have any fun getting the skid into position??? When I did mine, I had a new track as well, and man it was a royal PITA to get into position....lets just say not alot of room for track adjustment.

Looks good man... ;)! ;)! ;)!

OTM

Oh man, my new phone is schooling me with the posting. Sorry guys. I'm gonna do more sledding and way less posting. Thanks for the help everyone. See you for the next project!

Anyone want my M series Exit X1 Zbros Shocks? Center shock is X1 dual coil. The rear is X1. Takes this skid to a whole new level of comfort. $600 for both shocks. PM me.

Lightweight Rear Suspension Kit test ridden in cold powder as well as wet, fresh snow.

The topped out attitude feels similar to a box stock MTX SE 162" with all weight on the center shock and rear wheels airborne. Rear bumper height is very similar to a stock MTX SE 162" with the rear scissors in the lower hole.

I have only done 50 kilometers, but the main impression is a more "body position controllable" weight transfer than the standard skid. If moving forward over the handlebars, it does not wheelie. If moving rearwards, it does wheelie like there is no tomorrow. Also, the general feeling is a softer sprung suspension, but I have not been on the standard skid since last season.

Attachments

• Alatalo_121230_1.JPG
    Alatalo_121230_1.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Alatalo_121229_2.JPG
    Alatalo_121229_2.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 296
  • Alatalo_121229_1.JPG
    Alatalo_121229_1.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 304
Alatalo said:
Lightweight Rear Suspension Kit assembled.

Weight 19.0 kg / 41.85 lbs with ice scratchers.
Center swingarm c-c approximately 410 mm / 16.14".
Upper rear scissors c-c approximately 283 mm / 11.14".

Alatalo:
With the house asleep this am, took a couple of measures off my Cat skid and thought you might appreciate this:
2011 Arctic Cat M suspension:
Center swingarm c-c approximately 410.8 mm / 16.17".
Upper rear scissors c-c approximately 282.4 mm / 11.12".

So, they have identical geometry....The Yami Lightweight Suspension is the Arctic Cat M suspension!

At first I thought this meant you could use MTX SE shocks on the AC skid, but upon closer inspection of your pictures, I can see they have modified the shock mounts on both front and back arms to accommodate the MTX shocks, so the arms aren't an exact match....

Unfortunately the body length of the MTX SE rear shock is 9mm longer than the M shock, and with the M suspension collapsed, there is only 3mm of float in the shock stroke left so the MTX shock would bottom before hitting the rubber stoppers on the rails...not good!

I am going make another post on the 141 skid, as soon as I can find batteries for the camera.

BTW Happy New Year everyone.

OTM

I had never taken measurements but having ridden one with the Yamaha accessory kit I would say it feels exactly the same as mine with the cat skid. It is interesting to see that they are pretty much the same arms.

Back