• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The New Secondary Brain Child Is Done And Is Easy To Do

Looks like I might just end up with a new stock Phazer clutch.

I am having a real hard time finding anything other then an SRX clutch.

Shouldn't any YVX secondary work with a little machining? Is the Vmax 500 secondary the only one that doesn't need machining to work?

Yea, I just don't have access to any machining without paying someone.

Also (a big factor) the season is just too short to wait to find one and then tune it. I'd rather ride. If the new one lasts as long as this one did I'll be ok with it.

Jeffz said:
Shouldn't any YVX secondary work with a little machining? Is the Vmax 500 secondary the only one that doesn't need machining to work?
A 96 VMax600 worked for me but I was lucky to find one cheap.
YamahaS
So If buying new is it possible to find a new YVX for the same money?

The reason I ask is I have two RX1 secondaries and access to a machine shop. I think I paid $60 for the both of them.

BombaPolaYama said:
Jeffz said:
A 96 VMax600 worked for me but I was lucky to find one cheap.
YamahaS
So If buying new is it possible to find a new YVX for the same money?

I priced out a new Vmax clutch, close to 1,200. A tad expensive. The phazer one is around 600 for the whole thing.

Hi,I just saw a v-max 600 secondary on e-bay, it has a 39 degree helix and is resonably priced. Go to e-bay motors>parts&&accessorys>snowmobile parts> other parts. At the top of the page there is a search window type in item #160963966664 and make an offer, I hope this helps you out.

Thanks Jake, I had already ordered the new secondary.

I tink there is more to this circlip breaking then just bad luck.

Has anyone else that had the clip break notice if there was a lof of play in the bushings in the moveable sheave? I knew mine had a lot of play and was just going to try another season but I am thinking it may have something to do wit hthe broken clip. I got my new clutch in today and its amazing how much tighter it is.

If one of the parts in the cluch had shifted/binded could it have caused pressure on only one side of the clip causing it to break. Thinking back to it right before it gave out it felt like it bogged a bit (did not quite backshift or something). It was very fast then I heard sounds of the helix grinding on the bearing. It all moved very easily and smoothly without the spring but who knows after there was pressure on it.

Think maybe something was bingding cauing uneven pressure on the clip? I did have a lot of play in it but just bought a track and did not want to spend on the clutch and took a bit of a risk.

Just thinking out loud here...

Could be.Mine when it went it looked like the splines were sheared at about a 45 deg angle at clip.Almost like clip was forced off violently.

That was a common problem with that style of secondary. I have seen at least 4 with that problem in the last two years. The only fix is to go with the newer secondary they don"t have a snap ring.

jake151 said:
That was a common problem with that style of secondary. I have seen at least 4 with that problem in the last two years. The only fix is to go with the newer secondary they don"t have a snap ring.

Yea, I have always used a new clip and the first one lasted 8500km's. Bought a new complete clutch and it went after 500km's.

I will have to find a machine shop to shave down one of the new clutch's.

I wonder if a search in the 2 stroke side would come up with a solution or at least a reason?Sucks it happened again Yamahas.Dont forget I have you covered for the spacer if you find secondary that fits.

Back