• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The next sled engine...847cc twin??

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Checked out the new wolverine 4 seater and it has a new motor. Beings the motor is stand alone from transmission I suspect maybe Yamaha has additional plans for the motor.

Boy that engine screams entry level/Phazer replacement. 69hp, dry sump, and YCC-T for different power level settings. Maybe a different set of cams for a bit more HP in a sled application.

Hope this motor makes it into the grizzly, my grizz 700 is bulletproof but leaves allot to be desired

I want a Grizzly but it has to be a twin. I have a couple of Polaris 850Xp's and I could never go back to a one lunger.

The phazer 500 twin is kinda getting old but with 85-90 hp in a grizz would make a poo and can-am killer, we all know what yamaha is capable of, their just being very conservative for some reason.

The phazer 500 twin is kinda getting old but with 85-90 hp in a grizz would make a poo and can-am killer, we all know what yamaha is capable of, their just being very conservative for some reason.

With the Huge quiet exhaust and such I'm sure they left quite a bit on the table with this new Twin. Not a fan of the rear drive shaft passing through the engine crankcase either but can appreciate the engineering behind it to keep things compact and low. From pictures I've seen so far it doesn't look like the "bellhousing" flange gets used for anything on the X4 so it's obviously going to get used in something else (watercraft?)

I'm just starting to look into getting a 3+ seat UTV and this just jumped to the head of the line for me, nice mix of sport/utility and it's pretty short and narrow too! Honda 1000-3 is on my short list also, love the dual clutch manual tranny.

The animation of the clutch moving appears to be opposite of a traditional snowmobile clutch direction. Not sure this is meant for snow without a directional change in a new chain case.

Hopefully the X4 lives up to Yamaha's reputation for reliability. My 2016 Grizzly has been a POS.

Hopefully the X4 lives up to Yamaha's reputation for reliability. My 2016 Grizzly has been a POS.
Sorry to hear that, my 14 grizz 700 has been bulletproof so far, I plow snow with it, hunting, trail riding and the occasional mud hole, but mine is still the 686, ive been told that the 708 is a subaru motor.

Sorry to hear that, my 14 grizz 700 has been bulletproof so far, I plow snow with it, hunting, trail riding and the occasional mud hole, but mine is still the 686, ive been told that the 708 is a subaru motor.

I had a 2009 that I loved. I put 4,800 miles on it without a hiccup. When the 2016 came out I decided it was time to upgrade. I bought it in January of 2016. Within the first few weeks I figured out that it would not start in the cold. I had a few instances where I couldn't use it because it wouldn't start. After winter was over they came out with a tech bulletin for faulty decompression springs. Yamaha replaced the spring under warranty. I rode the machine quite a bit in the summer of 2016. Towards the end of the summer the 4wd switch started acting up. I disassembled it and put dielectric grease in it and it seemed to fix the issue. This last winter I noticed that it was low on oil a couple times. By spring, it would fill my shed with blue smoke when the engine was cold. I brought it to the dealer(still under warranty thank god) and waited for two months while Yamaha threw parts at it trying to figure out why it was burning oil. It ended up being a bad valve. I got it back and the 4wd switch kicked the bucket so I had to have that replaced.

I like the machine but it hasn't had the reliability that I am used to with Yamaha products. I wish I still had my 2009 TBH.

Back