• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tie rod bracket bushing wore out

That piece is the bottom of the post itself.

Yes!

20171202_230433png~2.jpg

You see nr 26. New part number. Yamaha update the steering last year in 2017 because of the play I showed in the video. I put in the new one and 90 % of the play is gone.

https://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/55fae34a87a8660fe0572410/steering
im not sure i see what is different? looks like the same drag link mine has that attaches threw the hole in the bottom of the post....if your talking replace the post im for sure not doing that, parts here a stupid prices...if i can return the play to the factory 10% or so that will be fine. I dont hear any clicking or moving on my post its just that tie rod block

Last edited:
is there any better way to replace bushing #3 in the pic other than drilling all rivets out?
have to do the ones in mine.
thanks.

I replaced those useless delrin flanged bushings with two leaded bronze bushings that I used for the top gear. I got my buddy to cut me two stainless 1/16" thick washers, one on top and one on the bottom. Sand the paint of the tie rod crank tube and hone the bushings for a good fit. All play is gone.

I had to hone out the bushings with a 1" flap wheel to get the clearance. I hope it won't seize at -40C.

I also drilled a grease track in the front center and added a 45 deg fitting pointing upward. Cut a fitting clearance hole in the plastic piece out front between the two fins. Now you can grease it when the hood is removed once a year.

I got the new bushings in and put back together. Still has play.
Any ideas. It’s still in that set up. I can wiggle the shaft a bit.

Attachments

• FE9F7CE0-80A0-4412-BBEF-3A1FF996D146.jpeg
    FE9F7CE0-80A0-4412-BBEF-3A1FF996D146.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 145
I got the new bushings in and put back together. Still has play.
Any ideas. It’s still in that set up. I can wiggle the shaft a bit.

I assume you put the factory plastic flanged bushing back in. Go back and read my post #21.

Replace with bronze. Remove the paint on the tube and hone the bushings to size AFTER the are pushed in there.

I read this thread too late. Already cranked down on the tie rod bracket pivot bolt, probably crushed the plastic bushings even worse. Still has play, but less. Ordered new bushing, washers and bolt because i was concerned that I sheared the bolt while tightening it. If I have to drill out the steering plate to do the bushing, i may as well upgrade to the reinforced steering bracket.
Which plastic bushing was worse? Top or bottom? I may not drill out the plate to do the top one, only swap out the bottom one. Depending.....
I could try to rotate the top bushing 180° to a lesser worn out position.
Ideas?

Back