• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tired Of Sloppy Steering At Plastic Bushing And Steel Collar

In the process of installing the bushing kit however there is a lot of play in the relay arm. The pivot arm has a roller bearing top and bottom however the relay arm has a bushing. I have .004" of play and rocks sided to side more than I would like. I have added shims that help however while I have it apart i would like to fix it better than it is . So my question is if i do replace the bushing is it going to be any better than what i have? Does anyone know what the tolerance is supposed to be on the bushing? .001" to .002" is typical for this type of setup. Washers are supplied to take up the slop in the Pivot arm however nothing for the relay arm.

Last edited:

This upbushman is a serious slacker. This guy takes days to respond and comes up with excuses as to why he hasent shipped. The worst part is you have to remind him about everything! Paid this guy 2 weeks ago and I just recieved the tracking saying it shipped today.

I figured this guy was slacker so I talked with Schmidt brothers and got them to send me there kit. Very happy with the service and this kits looks much more durable then the brass setup. If anyone needs a UP steering kit it will be up for grabs for less then cost or most likely tossed in the garbage.

http://www.schmidtbrosmotorsports.com/sloppy-steering-fix/

I received bushmans kit and he no longer uses brass. He now uses SS. You must grease the bushing to prevent galling IMHO. My solution for the relay arm bushing was to face the end of the inner race down in the lathe to have .004" endplay (up & down). This makes a hugh difference in the slop in the bushing. Between that and Bushmans kit the lower steering section has zero slop. The upper section could use some attention however im at the good enough percentage of this project.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I contacted upbushman via the email at the beginning of this thread, (uptime@gmx.us) my parts were shipped with in hours of receiving my payment complete with tracking number. Thanx rob.

Well I finally got enough snow to try is out, Works great. 2nd ride out did a little bush wacking and at the end of the day a felt a bit of slop in the steering. Took it apart and it seems like the small Heim joint on the top pivot arm has some play in it (5300 mi), need to replace that. Does any one have the part # for it ?

I suspect the guy is a one man operation and making them in his spare time. Kudos to him. Been there done that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Contact him via his email. He will get to you within reasonable time. Please keep in mind this is an old thread. If you are having some issues with other components after kit installation perhaps a new thread is in order along with some extensive searching. You can find out the tolerances also via a service manual, which can be obtained free with a VIP membership.

Don't mean to hijack topic, but Yamaha now has a steering kit availiable in accessories which eliminates all those extra parts only thing retained is the two bushing and they are only used as pinch bushing. it uses two roller bearing inside a machined boss, installed on my 09 multi purpose a lot less play even after 400 km! steering is a lot more smooth now! Cheers!

Don't mean to hijack topic, but Yamaha now has a steering kit availiable in accessories which eliminates all those extra parts only thing retained is the two bushing and they are only used as pinch bushing. it uses two roller bearing inside a machined boss, installed on my 09 multi purpose a lot less play even after 400 km! steering is a lot more smooth now! Cheers!
Part number? Cost?

part number sma-beari-ng-kt cost is $39.95 cdn available through Yamaha! check the Yamaha motor website under accessories for any phazer.

I now have serious play (about 1") in my steering! Started to pick her apart tonight and it appears that most of the slop is in these bushings that I installed a few years back. Was honestly expecting more use out of them based on all the hype and considering my sled has been used lightly the last 5 seasons while I put 13.5K Km on my TF. Anyone else have issues with this kit?

Mine's been getting looser again (about 1" play at handle bar end) and I have this kit installed. My dog bone and links mod using heim (rose) joints is holding up well but haven't been into the lower parts. I do know some of the slop is in the outer tie rods.

Mine's been getting looser again (about 1" play at handle bar end) and I have this kit installed. My dog bone and links mod using heim (rose) joints is holding up well but haven't been into the lower parts. I do know some of the slop is in the outer tie rods.
Yeah, I have no choice but to fix mine now, it is scary when you see all the slop in the lower spindle (or whatever it's called).

Back