• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed AND The Yamaha Apex.... Whats the dreameter sayin?

xracer said:
Just tryed 23/38 gearing , after adjusting the timing & fuel on the pc3 the best i seen on the dream meter 134mph at 11000-11100rpm
....you not hitting rev limiter at 11100 ? my peak hp seems to be around 10800 ....IMO

We had gps the day before christmas, it was 116-117mph, stock sled was 113, not today... you guys are running 1" predator tracks?

ROCKERDAN said:
How much timing arre you adding on top end?....i was only going around 2-3 on ign module and never went over 10 points of fuel.

can i go more and just run premium?...i never got to play with my mapping much since i didnt ride last season...:(

I never spent anytime with my 24 gear,since i put the 23 gear in the first season,and that along with my dalton/proline setup woke mine up so i left 23 in always. I think the 24 with team secondary is where you make that work.

whats the clutching?? that should make you laugh..LOL

Dan

Stock secondary works just fine with the 24 - I'm not going to tell clutching secrets - we test test and test - I have a ton of money tied up in clutch parts to get where I'm at - and I'm best friends with one of the best clutch tuners out there.

Here is a video of my 06 Rtx from 2 years ago running 119.7 with my 230 #'s on at the NBSSR radar runs which was the fastest time an Apex ever ran there. Sled had a fix ram air , PC 111, completely stock exhaust, stock clutches and a 1" predator track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTYlIRyVR4
I then had my designated driver ( Crystal) Machzrobbies honey drive it and she ran the first 120.1 run and set the record until next year when she beat it with her sled running 120.2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGsU6-6Er_o
Both sleds are running the 24/38 gears.

machzrobbie said:
ROCKERDAN said:
How much timing arre you adding on top end?....i was only going around 2-3 on ign module and never went over 10 points of fuel.

can i go more and just run premium?...i never got to play with my mapping much since i didnt ride last season...:(

I never spent anytime with my 24 gear,since i put the 23 gear in the first season,and that along with my dalton/proline setup woke mine up so i left 23 in always. I think the 24 with team secondary is where you make that work.

Dan

Stock secondary works just fine with the 24 - I'm not going to tell clutching secrets - we test test and test - I have a ton of money tied up in clutch parts to get where I'm at - and I'm best friends with one of the best clutch tuners out there.

LOL...thanks for all the tips!!.....you guys crack me up with all the secrets....so many guys in this sport are like that i find....the whole idea of "FORUMS" is to help eachother out.

so i guess i am right in saying a stock apex wont run 128+.

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
machzrobbie said:
ROCKERDAN said:

Dan

LOL...thanks for all the tips!!.....you guys crack me up with all the secrets....so many guys in this sport are like that i find....the whole idea of "FORUMS" is to help eachother out.

so i guess i am right in saying a stock apex wont run 128+.

Dan

Dan, you are very generous with your knowledge and it is appreciated... I remember back in the day. My dad would buy a new polaris, His buddy a new ski-doo and another buddy a new cat. They all got them at different dealers and they all had stuff done to them before picking them up and it was always a secret to the other two. My dad had an slp pipe put on with a stock silencer so it sounded near stock, V force reeds installed upside down so you couldn't see the V force on them. Sleeper heads that had the stock coolant cover so it looked stock, and a bunch of clutching tricks. It was always funny to watch them all compete.... LOL. I have never been like that, If anyone wants to know whats done, I tell them. If they want to race, I race them. Nothing to it. I don't like to keep too many secrets.... Its more fun to share knowledge with eachother IMO...

I grew up riding sleds since i was about 8 yrs old my first ride,then had my own sleds since 12 or so.....

I was always a tinkerer and loved to make things work better,go faster if i could.....I rode with one guy all the time and everytime i saw him,he would be alittle faster!.....thru the yrs i was always asking him why?...he would tell me my sled was getting slower and his just is box stock....lol

and now 30 yrs later its still the same old thing,guys love to think their setups are magical and go as far as removing colors off their clutch springs and grinding off angles so their buddies dont see it.

I can understand this mentality to a point,sure you put alot of time and money into your sled and you want to beat your riding buddy,so you keep some stuff secret. OR if you are in this as a business,someone like Ulmer who does this as a living NEEDS to keep his stuff to himself so he can sell his kits,i get that.

But it always cracks me up when guys say their sled is box stock and runs 128mph on radar(NOT)......or they just want to keep all their clutching to themselves,i just dont get that....Its not like we all ride together,and I would then be beating them.....

and if i did beat them or run faster,then i would be first to give KUDOS to the person who made my clutching faster.

I know in 99% of my posts i try to either help my fellow TYers,or at least give my opinion of why i have found over the yrs...and also i try to post up as much info as i can with anything i feel with fix our issues. there are tons of great guys on this site(IE:"TURK") that are exactly like me,and want to share and help,that is the whole idea of being online in forums IMO...to all share our passion for this sport.

but there will always be guys who post up only once in awhile,and dont share or help or contibute at all....they just brag basically.....Hey i will brag too when i run a good radar speed,but I will also give up what it took to get me to that speed. anyone who rides with me knows i love helping ALL OUR SLEDS be faster and better overal.

anyway,back to the subject at hand.....I am now considering trying my 24 gear back again...LOL,i was going on the feedback of so many for yrs saying the 23 worked best for radaring but now im wondering?

I have had my chaincase apart twice now in past month,so whats a third time...LOL

Dan

Dan, You nailed exactly what this site is supposed to be. Yamaha, and other, sledheads sharing information in order for ALL to enjoy this sport. Think about Turk. He's GIVEN advice that a dealer or business owner would charge big bucks for. Literally 1,000's of $ in advice, FREE!! And he is just one of many. We, TY Management, strive to keep things level here. It's what MrSled directs us to do. This allows for the free exchange of information to happen. I am a 300 lb boondocker and couldn't begin to THINK about top speed runs. But seeing everyone else's passon for it makes me come back to threads like these. JUST to see what's up LOL. To all who willingly share info ;)! . Those that don't should think about what this website is REALLY for!

Dave

Viper_Dave said:
Dan, You nailed exactly what this site is supposed to be. Yamaha, and other, sledheads sharing information in order for ALL to enjoy this sport. Think about Turk. He's GIVEN advice that a dealer or business owner would charge big bucks for. Literally 1,000's of $ in advice, FREE!! And he is just one of many. We, TY Management, strive to keep things level here. It's what MrSled directs us to do. This allows for the free exchange of information to happen. I am a 300 lb boondocker and couldn't begin to THINK about top speed runs. But seeing everyone else's passon for it makes me come back to threads like these. JUST to see what's up LOL. To all who willingly share info ;)! . Those that don't should think about what this website is REALLY for!

Dave

Amen Dave :Rockon:

ROCKERDAN said:
I grew up riding sleds since i was about 8 yrs old my first ride,then had my own sleds since 12 or so.....

I was always a tinkerer and loved to make things work better,go faster if i could.....I rode with one guy all the time and everytime i saw him,he would be alittle faster!.....thru the yrs i was always asking him why?...he would tell me my sled was getting slower and his just is box stock....lol

and now 30 yrs later its still the same old thing,guys love to think their setups are magical and go as far as removing colors off their clutch springs and grinding off angles so their buddies dont see it.

I can understand this mentality to a point,sure you put alot of time and money into your sled and you want to beat your riding buddy,so you keep some stuff secret. OR if you are in this as a business,someone like Ulmer who does this as a living NEEDS to keep his stuff to himself so he can sell his kits,i get that.

But it always cracks me up when guys say their sled is box stock and runs 128mph on radar(NOT)......or they just want to keep all their clutching to themselves,i just dont get that....Its not like we all ride together,and I would then be beating them.....

and if i did beat them or run faster,then i would be first to give KUDOS to the person who made my clutching faster.

I know in 99% of my posts i try to either help my fellow TYers,or at least give my opinion of why i have found over the yrs...and also i try to post up as much info as i can with anything i feel with fix our issues. there are tons of great guys on this site(IE:"TURK") that are exactly like me,and want to share and help,that is the whole idea of being online in forums IMO...to all share our passion for this sport.

but there will always be guys who post up only once in awhile,and dont share or help or contibute at all....they just brag basically.....Hey i will brag too when i run a good radar speed,but I will also give up what it took to get me to that speed. anyone who rides with me knows i love helping ALL OUR SLEDS be faster and better overal.

anyway,back to the subject at hand.....I am now considering trying my 24 gear back again...LOL,i was going on the feedback of so many for yrs saying the 23 worked best for radaring but now im wondering?

I have had my chaincase apart twice now in past month,so whats a third time...LOL

Dan

Dan I hope that was not directed at me - and at no point have I seen you post your modified proline kit details, and I haven't seen any of your friends sleds as fast as yours because you have given them your set up. I know back in the Mach Z days you were pretty tight lipped about your set ups - bikeman pipe mod and what clutching you had the first time we met up. You like being faster then others and like to keep it that way too.

I have shared my expeirence with what I found with gearing - as far as clutching goes - I like to win races and anyone can buy a kit off the shelf - ther's few that can put it all together - and fewer who know how to clutch - sometimes we learn just by fluke by trying something. You don't see any of the performance guys posting their clutching - you buy if it you want it. I've bought and tested with Ernie, in the summer on the asphalt we would make change after change after change - on the ice we pull the sleds apart and test and test - that's how we get fast. Anyone can do it - its all about learning.

The 23 is faster if you machine your primary for over drive.With a rip saw and trail studs at full ride height you will be in the 120-124mph range.

well you guys have totally convinced me to change my track to 1", so i have a 1" carve-the predators new name coming and 96 1.175 woody gold diggers. i figure if i'm gonna pull the chaincase apart to swap from 22/38 to 23/38 i might as well spend a bit more time and change the track.
all this for more speed-lol

pro116 said:
The 23 is faster if you machine your primary for over drive.With a rip saw and trail studs at full ride height you will be in the 120-124mph range.
............yes -but when not doing the primary machineing the 24 will have longer legs ??

Back