• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Speed Survey

How fast is your Viper on normal trails?

• Total voters
I have most of the time good condition where I ride, so I hit 156km/h (97mph) almost every time I have a long stretch. By the way with any clutch set-up with 4 different clutch weights profiles I almost get the same top speed. My favorite for trail and midrange pull is 8FA clutch weights, 3g ctr, G-W-G and 46/40 @ 70.

I have most of the time good condition where I ride, so I hit 156km/h (97mph) almost every time I have a long stretch. By the way with any clutch set-up with 4 different clutch weights profiles I almost get the same top speed. My favorite for trail and midrange pull is 8FA clutch weights, 3g ctr, G-W-G and 46/40 @ 70.

So it basically comes down to conditions and Power. I agree.

Reactions: 1tp
I can get to 100 pretty quick. 110 took a little bit on a groomed trail, was stuck at 108-109 for awhile.

Interesting thing is my 14 rtx stock was a 85 mph sled. Now with close to 4000 miles with dupont slides and clutching runs in the mid nintys and will do 100 in good conditions. My friends 14 ltx completley stock with 500 miles yesterday in a drag race runs exactley the same. Dead even fron stop to as fast as they would go. Trail not groomed but smooth and well tracked with mabey 1 or 2 in of loose snow on top. We both ran 93 mph on multiple runs. He is 40 lbs lighter but I wouldnt think there would be that much diference.

My 2015 xtx se tops out at 143 kph...and that's on the lake or a long stretch of road.

In "normal" trails I never get that fast, don't want to kill myself lol(technically, the speed limit is 50kmh anyway)

I have a 2004 AC T660 and it will toast my Viper on the lake.

Revised, 14xtx mpi 107 in 800-900' yesterday still pulling hard. On/off throttle has no issue.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

2014 LTX, all stock, 8DN belt, 700 miles. Consistent 93 mph @ 8961 rpm on hardpack. At least that's what the recorded high rpm indicates when I push the button.

I have an xtx LE
I rode it 255 miles before I out the turbo on it. Before I get into the speeds I truly believe a lot of guys are used to the dream-ometer from past yamahas, I'm a stickler for actual speed and this viper is just about right on actual gps speeds.

I do not know the stock gear ratio of an xtx le, does anyone know in comparison to other models ?

Before the turbo the sled stopped at 85 miles an hour in real world conditions, on the trail or on the lake it didn't matter. It lost in drag races of about 1000' to my buddies axys 800 pro s, and our apex, and my Nytro. This didn't bother me at all, after all I bought a sled that I could explore the pow with...

Fast forward to installing the mpi turbo@6psi, ulmers trail clutch set up, and I'm a happy camper I can spank everyone I ride with in 1000' the only thing that comes close is the Apex that after 1000' comes by my like I'm on the brakes. My buddy with his short track Polaris 800 pro s is pissed off that he has nothing for me viper and 2.25" track on the lake. We ran probably 6 times last week and I never lost to him, granted that Polaris will probably gain some speed on less snow or ice it wouldn't even be a race, but in the real world when we line up on back lake he has nothing. Him coming out of break in mode did noting for him.

My sled now runs 95-96 mph and pulls until it's there, and that's not inflated. I'm pumped I can pretty much do everything with this sled, I can ride the powder, ditches, and hills pretty good, hit the trails and do ok (definitely not perfect on the trails for my liking) then I get to regain some bragging rights on the lake. I've read some comments from people not happy with the turbo and I just don't know what these guys are talking about NOTHING pulls like a turbo viper, except another turbo yammy!!! (Making even more power). You actually need to make sure you know what's next before you hit the throttle on groomed trails, you could easily exceed your skill set with one.

Next move for me is some clutch machining and possibly gearing, I want 100 mph on tap.

98 mph
MBRP Race can
Ulmer Racing clutch kit
K&N Air intake
dynojet power comander
8DN belt

FYI, super tips from Ulmer, two washers and tongs ton on heel, two washers on tip with mpi 5.5 to 6lbs. 6/2 secondary spring, 8dn belt, osp adjuster and pulls like a freight train. Have not found it limits in Iowa. Will post more next time north. Also, mpi loud exhaust. 107 800-900' can get off the throttle at any speed and still goes right back into pulling hard. Never did that before. Until I added the weight...96 top end. Let off anywhere near 85-96 it would fall on its face and not back shift and recover.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Heck if I know. Picked up washers and started throwing them in...test and do it again. Anyone have the wight of the washer and tongs don for super tips?

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Super tip weight + 2 washer in heal + 1 tongs don in the heal + 2 washers in tip = my set up.

Anyone chime in for total weight?

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

Family man tungsten =7grams, each washer is 1 gram so 1 tungsten 4 washers =11Grams the weights if u have the 50y super tips the should be 50 grams so you should have around 61 grams total

Back