• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Three Mods Under $1000

Koeckman

Extreme
Looking for the top three upgrades you would choose to upgrade if you had $1000 in your pocket and could only spend it on your sled. I would try and replace:

1. Exhaust
2. Clutch
3. Ski's

Thanks for your help!!!

I second the track....then spend some dough on the rear suspension. $1000 isn't enough to make a world of difference, but maybe some Apex torsion springs would help. Clutching is helpful, as stock rpms are a meager 7900-8150, when you ought to be in the 8600-8900 range.

battery, is best bangf for the buck..saves 10 lbs..then muffler.....can save another 10 lbs...

track is clearly the next thing...

then Wildchild steering relocation

and when you save 500 more...biggest most monumental change to this sled, is TImbersled Mountain Tamer...shaves nearly 40 lbs. and makes this sled a good contender in the hills...

#1 Pre Filter material and silicone caulking
#2 Shocks
#3 Trail Tank

I know the above doesn't have the wow factor, but it is what I needed to get rid of the tiny things that "pi$$ed me off".

Sad to say but $1,000 doesn't go very far these days.

mtdream said:
battery, is best bangf for the buck..saves 10 lbs..then muffler.....can save another 10 lbs...

track is clearly the next thing...

then Wildchild steering relocation

and when you save 500 more...biggest most monumental change to this sled, is TImbersled Mountain Tamer...shaves nearly 40 lbs. and makes this sled a good contender in the hills...

Best advice I've received on this sled, and it was from MTDream. I swapped tracks and put the TS skid on it this year and it's like re-learning a new sled....it's THAT much different. Save your pennies, and git r done.

IMO, the first thing I'd do is save your dollars until you can boost it. With a boosted sled you can live with the track (not saying you wouldn't want to change it, but...), handling is totally different (you do not have to work as hard on a boosted sled), the mountain tamer suspension isn't as good as the stock after boost (it is lighter but that's about all you gain).

This otta get thing s fired up! ;):D

Actually I don't fish :) I just know some guys love their Mtn Tamer and thats okay in fact that is great. Nothing better than spending that kind of money and feeling you really got your money's worth. I just wasn't that impressed with it over the stock suspension, I felt it rode stiffer and over transfers when your sled is boosted. I'll admit I never rode one on a stock sled so they may be great there.

IMO You are wasting your $$$ trying to shave weight with a $1000 budget.

A track and floats will give you performance gains. Next is Snow Eliminators or Better Boards. If you have any left over than you can look at other ergonomic mods

- Steering relocation
- Risers

Any $$$ Left... probably not much

Fist make sure you have a skid plate, ice scratchers & left hand throttle.

Only light weight mod i'd do is a $50 glass pak under the tunnel exhaust.

If your budget opens up the possibilities are endless. If i'd do my sled project over again I'd do it your way but with boost.

woodsrider said:
IMO, the first thing I'd do is save your dollars until you can boost it. With a boosted sled you can live with the track (not saying you wouldn't want to change it, but...), handling is totally different (you do not have to work as hard on a boosted sled), the mountain tamer suspension isn't as good as the stock after boost (it is lighter but that's about all you gain).

This otta get thing s fired up! ;):D

I may agree with you to some extent. the Mt tamer is a good affordable option. I do believe the right tuner can make the stock suspension work great even with boost. I've seen it once and that was from a yamaha tech. For the record i DO have the mt tamer and have no complaints.

Back