• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track shaft fail

Turboflash

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. 137 - PEFI Stage 4
Here is one from this past weekend from a friend of mine. I'm glad this happened in parking lot. Minutes earlier he was out on the lake running over 100 MPH! Looks like it maybe it was cracked for a while before it broke. Took out the whole chain case (both sides). Ruined the caliper and rotor too.
2019 TCat with Hurricane 250 tune. 1-1/2" Rip2 with lots of long studs.
Wonder what causes this?

Attachments

• track shaft failure2.jpg
    track shaft failure2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 160
  • track shaft failure3.jpg
    track shaft failure3.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 161
  • track shaft failure.jpg
    track shaft failure.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 164

Yikes!
Lucky he has a guardian angle looking out for him....that could have gone very badly! The sled is just a sled and can be fixed.

All stock drive train. 24/50 gear. Was trail riding the sled all day.

Happened once to an Apex in our group. Middle of the woods. Had to build a log raft to haul the sled out. We towed it with my RX1 and a Polaris tied together for about 10 miles. His had been cracked for a while too as you could the rust. He had his limiter strap pulled up a bunch and i think it left the drivers exposed to some direct hits

First glad he is ok.

Second, was he running a drive shaft saver? Cuz it doesn't look like that worked

Third I remember the Ontario snowmobiler video

Lol...yes I think most of us remember that video.
I think Cat had a driveshaft issue that was supposedly fixed in 2015. Maybe the gremlins remain...

Wander if fitting a piece of pipe inside the driveshaft would be a good idea. While the pipe inside would not reduce torque load on the shaft it would prevent catastrophic failure. The pipe would keep everything somewhat functional by allow one cog to still have braking and one for drive.

The break seems pretty rare. And no one knows why it really broke. If it was due to cyclical fatigue caused by which is what I would hazard as a first guess, then fixing the cause is probably the answer. It would be nice to get that shaft in hand.

Back