• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

I agree thanks for posting it. Who would have guessed as when set side by side length is way longer! Hey want to try the Cat belt next? Close to same length as 8JP but wider costs to much though! Maybe Yamaha let cat pick our belt?
*0627-070 44.250 ± .178 inch 1.448 inch

cannondale27 said:
I agree thanks for posting it. Who would have guessed as when set side by side length is way longer! Hey want to try the Cat belt next? Close to same length as 8JP but wider costs to much though! Maybe Yamaha let cat pick our belt?
*0627-070 44.250 ± .178 inch 1.448 inch

Lol...probably! No problem! If we can make our Vipers faster I'm all for it! I want other manufactures to look at the Viper as a serious contender! :-o

I wonder if I would see any gain by shimming my stock viper belt? I noticed from day one that it sits low in the secondary. My turbo viper is flying but still get inconsistent rpms in deeper snow. I might shim it and run the stock belt and then try the nytro belt.

A couple things that I have been wondering for you clutching experts.

1. Any chance the factory belt is different quality than the one you buy over the counter at the Yamaha dealership.

2. If the 8DN is longer how can you get full shiftout when both clutches are at full engagement.

Blown Up said:
I wonder if I would see any gain by shimming my stock viper belt? I noticed from day one that it sits low in the secondary. My turbo viper is flying but still get inconsistent rpms in deeper snow. I might shim it and run the stock belt and then try the nytro belt.

That's what was happening to me, except I was blowing up my belts...lol
I needed to do something. My dealer did it. I just posted it. I can't take any compliments on doing it. But it sure worked for my sled! :jump:

sxr70001 said:

1. Any chance the factory belt is different quality than the one you buy over the counter at the Yamaha dealership.

2. If the 8DN is longer how can you get full shiftout when both clutches are at full engagement.

Belts are same. I am on my third. Not blowing but rather than reclutching I just change the belt. I start to notice clutching differences at 7-800mi with 8JP. Thats the main reason I am buying a 8DN tomorrow and trying it. 8JP is not consistant.

You never had full shiftout

cannondale27 said:
sxr70001 said:

Belts are same. I am on my third. Not blowing but rather than reclutching I just change the belt. I start to notice clutching differences at 7-800mi with 8JP. Thats the main reason I am buying a 8DN tomorrow and trying it. 8JP is not consistant.

You never had full shiftout

I think it's worth it! I have 5 of them and the Dayco xtreme one.

cannondale27 said:
Tim who is your dealer? Even if this doesnt work for everyone he sure deserves credit for trying this.

I did give them credit for it and told them I would post it in here. Hauck Powersports in Rice lake WI. I told them people were trying it to a lot of success. They liked the thanks I gave them. And were happy I thought about putting them in here.

Tried Dayco belt I had in the shop and it didn't work right for me, squealing and such. In all fairness it has been around so long I am not sure it was a good one. Anyways, put old 8DN back in and it rocks.

Oh, lightened primary weights from 66 grams to 60 grams and it didn't change over 200 rpm....weird.

stingray719 said:
Tried Dayco belt I had in the shop and it didn't work right for me, squealing and such. In all fairness it has been around so long I am not sure it was a good one. Anyways, put old 8DN back in and it rocks.

Oh, lightened primary weights from 66 grams to 60 grams and it didn't change over 200 rpm....weird.

I have a Dayco one that's brand new, but I also have 2 brand new 8DN and one on the Vector and a New one for her spare.

So you think the longer belt is going to allow full shift out? I guess I'm going to try it. What have I got to lose, right.

YamahaTim said:
cannondale27 said:
Tim who is your dealer? Even if this doesnt work for everyone he sure deserves credit for trying this.

I did give them credit for it and told them I would post it in here. Hauck Powersports in Rice lake WI. I told them people were trying it to a lot of success. They liked the thanks I gave them. And were happy I thought about putting them in here.

Yep Tim thanks for posting the 8DN belt info when you first tried it. Got me to look at the differences and discern why the 8JP didn't work, then try the 8DN myself. All the while fending off "you don't have a clue" from the google mechanics with more grace than I did...lol.

I still have to find out what is making it so hard to get enough revs at altitude so off to dissect the secondary now! ;)!

By the way, same test today same results, homemade Mountain Viper 153 Powerclaw vs 2014 M8 (160hp) 153 powerclaw even up from standing start on snow packed road to 45mph. Not bad...................

sxr70001 said:
So you think the longer belt is going to allow full shift out? I guess I'm going to try it. What have I got to lose, right.

I have got more top speed mph with the 8DN, now I have not marked my clutches so I'm not sure I'm getting full shift out. My top sub stained speed is 111 mph. Was a slight down hill. But in a 1000 feet or so give or take a foot or two i was getting 102 with stock yamaha clutches and different weights and 8JP belt. With same set up, but straight 47 helix I got in the same distance with the 8DN 104 three times and 106 one time. But the 106 I started at around 5 mph. The rest were from a dead stop.

Back