• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TY Rides 06s today in Minocqua

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenlacy said:
So did Yami set each sled up to your weight before you rode? Did you get to take an 05 RX-1 through a stretch of trail and then one of the comparable 06's as well to see the difference?
Nope, we were able to adjust the front clickers, the RA's on the monoshocks and of course the electric Ohlins on the Apex GT but no other setups for weight.

Our first ride had us as a part of the dealer rides. The group rode 4 - 5 miles, we all had to keep our place in line, then each rider moved back one sled with the last rider moving to the front, kind of like a Chinese Fire drill. It was pretty much luck to happen to be on the right sled during the particular section of the course that suited that sled.

There were both an '05 RX1 and an '05 Warrior in the line but they simply didn't compare to the Apex/Attak machines.

During this ride, I was riding a Vector in the back of the pack when we got to a ditch section with some driveway approaches. As I looked ahead, I saw this blue suited rider on a machine with yellow pipes pop way up (Boing!) above all the other sleds and I just knew that our very own NOS PRO Terry lucked into the Nytro for that section.

Once the dealer rides were done, Mr. Sled convinced the Yamaha guys to take us TY guys out for a real ride. Each of us then pretty much got to ride each of the '06 sleds through the entire course.

I say "pretty much" as Mr. Sled tended to want to hog the Apex machines. :tg:

(j/k Tom)

Thanks SledderSteve - I suppose you didn't get to line em up on the lake did ya? I know Yami is claiming an improvement of 5 1/2 sled lengths in the Quarter - kind of hard to believe but it would be nice if true - That is a little less than the Mach gets on my 05RX so that would put em darn close.

KL,

During the 1st ride we really didn't get to do any impromptu drags.......BUT, we did make about 3 full length passes down the lake and back.......I saw 95 - 100+ a couple of times on the speedo........

And that roadside that SS was talking about was a hoot........especially seeing NOS-PRO launching.......as usual :Rockon:

We were cautioned about that 5 1/2 length thing as that's a stock vs. stock comparision compiled over many different conditions. How many people actually leave their machines completely stock?

Using my highly calibrated butt dyno, I felt the '05 machines at the ride felt sluggish compared to the '06 machines. I believe BlueByYou2000 saw 122 on the dreamometer on the last rip across the lake while the Yamaha rep saw 124 during the same run on the two Apex machines. I was on the Nytro at the time, presenting the frontal area of a '55 Chevy into the wind, and couldn't break 100. :wink:

SledderSteve said:
Using my highly calibrated butt dyno, I felt the '05 machines at the ride felt sluggish compared to the '06 machines.
HHHmmmmm sounds kinda fishy to me, I wonder how this could be 8)

Nice report gentlemen. I just have two general questions that really aren't performance orientated. Questions have been raised about amount of wind protection on the '06. Did you notice a difference? And with the new exhaust on the '06 and the 150efi are they louder or quieter, or about the same.

So basically they didn't let you race the 05's vs the 06's :)

I was kinda hopin they would let you guys turn it into a test session, kinda figured they wouldn't, but just a little hope there.

greenmntpass said:
Nice report gentlemen. I just have two general questions that really aren't performance orientated. Questions have been raised about amount of wind protection on the '06. Did you notice a difference? And with the new exhaust on the '06 and the 150efi are they louder or quieter, or about the same.

The attack windshield was fine (as would be the Apex ER) The GT and RTX are simply marketing ploys. They look good. They are designed so that the non Yamaha buyer sees a magazine ad and thinks 'these look cool, I gotta have one'. I saw 122 on the RTX and even crouching down and eating the tank cover the wind force felt like my helmet was going to be yanked off my head.
They desinged the plastic side covers to be quieter. It seemed as though I did in fact notice less mechanical noises and they felt more refined than the 05 RX1

MrSled said:
LMAO..why would you think that Brian...

Someone who got off a Rev was mentioning that as an issue in one of the rider forward discussions.

welterracer said:
Did any of you guys have your hands go knumb or tingle after riding these forward riding sleds?

Welter - I wouldn't expect there to be any criticisms of the rider forward - because it is perfect and for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back