• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Update from "ttabs Nytro mod shop"

You may very well find them at NAPA. I have seen them at our local store...

If not, just go to the airport. Wherever they do the maintenace and stuff, they should have them on hand - they are very common. More so in the smaller aircraft.

MT,
Have you had issue with your header bolts coming loose? I have not pulled my tank yet this year to check mine. Should I or have you had good luck with the bolts staying put?

Otis

Coming out to Togwotee Jan 8th. Glad to see you showed Jeff and the boys a good time.

otis said:
MT,
Have you had issue with your header bolts coming loose? I have not pulled my tank yet this year to check mine. Should I or have you had good luck with the bolts staying put?

Otis

Coming out to Togwotee Jan 8th. Glad to see you showed Jeff and the boys a good time.

I have had them come loose...that was why I did the little mod...even used Nordlock washers and they came loose...but have not had an issue in several rides, so I think I have that issue solved...

So I suppose I should take my seat and tank off and check them then? One more thing to on the to do list.

Just changed oil, hyfax, OFT oil-lite steering bushings, moved my slydog powderhound skis forward 1 5/8" forward and moved the skis outward another inch, xxx mod rod panel vents, and re-bent that crappy 08 subframe straight again.

I suppose the 30 minutes to do it is worth the peace of mind. Last year when I checked them I was too lazy to disconnect the fuel pump and dropped the tank. That ripped off the fuel line from the pump and broke the connector the day before heading out west. Thank goodness the shop had a crated new 09 that they gave me the fuel pump from.

Did you notice a performace drop with the bolts loosening? Any heat related issues with the midmount turbo yet to the trail tank?

Yes I'm going to be at the lodge for 9 days starting Jan 8th.

Otis

Yeah when it happened it melted all the wires on the throttle body wiring harness (had to ahve one shipped from Japan...

perforamnce dropped to less than a 250 cc bravo...

in my case, once te bolts started loosening...they were out within minutes...just too much vibration and harmonics down there...

would just suggest a quick check on them, and if they are fine, your golden...they should actually bond with the other metal after a spell...that heat and cooling should almost pressure bond...

should be a storm coming through their in the next day, and dump some new...it has been too nice of weather to have much new snow, and we need it!!!

we sent Jeff and crew home with a broken up and munched up CMX...and it was his wifes sled :)

Not trying to offend anyone, but this is getting off topic by a mile.

Besides, we all know TTabs never existed... he is MT's schizophrenic, mutiple personality disorder, personality #...

er, I mean,

alter ego...
;):D

No the fixes aren't but when you're going to Togwatee is. This started as a mods to the nytro, which was very informative, to vacations. Not trying to piss anybody off, just saying.

Turbo inspection

I took my seat and tank off to inspect the blower and the funny thing was I was missing a bolt from the turbo to the header. Other 3 were tight and the header bolts were all tight. Glad I checked and thanks for the advice.

No heat issues, but I used a thermal blanket material on top of the heat shield so the tank and wires looked good.

I was also found a vacuum line on the bottom of the intercooler was pulled off. I wonder if that will affect my power any? Do you remember what that hose if for? I never did run a test for vacuum leaks.

Sled is loaded and ready to go!

Otis

Pulled tank off to install new tank. 2 Missing bolts from header to turbo. When installed Had let engine wrm up retourqued used nordlock washers and it still backed out in leass than 100 miles.

Re: Turbo inspection

otis said:
I took my seat and tank off to inspect the blower and the funny thing was I was missing a bolt from the turbo to the header. Other 3 were tight and the header bolts were all tight. Glad I checked and thanks for the advice.

No heat issues, but I used a thermal blanket material on top of the heat shield so the tank and wires looked good.

I was also found a vacuum line on the bottom of the intercooler was pulled off. I wonder if that will affect my power any? Do you remember what that hose if for? I never did run a test for vacuum leaks.

Sled is loaded and ready to go!

Otis

you will be bleeding pressure out that hose...it connects onto your throttle body...I went through every fitting and re-tightened every hose clamp...

I also took off the silicone triple braided (blue) hoses from intercooler to turbo and replaced with single braided 2" heater hose (got it at local auto parts store) and it clearly allows more flex, and will hold it to the intercooler better...

When you have a moment, I would highly recommend pulling intercooler and hoses, and cleaning with a contact cleaner...both the hoses and the male end of the throttle body...the cleaner it is, the better the bond will be...while doing this, I would also recommend cutting new hoses for the intercooler...ensure you do a VERY high quality cut, and that each hose is EXACTLY the same length no gaps...

I achieved this by placing a hose clamp exaclty where I wanted the cut, then used a razor, and cut around the hose clamp to ensure a nice clean cut...when you get to the screw drive of the hose clamp, loosen it and reposition, so you can get a clean cut there too...will get a couple pics posterd later of this...

never forget, sometimes when we are doing custom sleds, that you need custom parts...In my case I needed a wrench to tighten the banjo bolt on the turbo, and it was late at night, and only one place had an 18 mm wrench...but oh well...it worked, and no worries, all was good after tightening...

oh and if you do a lot of grinding at once, dont forget to have some water right by you, so you can temper the metal while grinding to keep the strength up...However, in this case, we are not needing uber strength, it is just a brass banjo bolt, so you dont want He-Man strength anyway...

CIMG2172Medium.jpg

Back