• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

Come on over to Cat, you know you want to haha. But agree that brown is just awful, I feel like they loose a bunch of sales this year on greatly priced sleds due to the brown suspension parts.
Spoke to dealer about Tcat. It just is not as good a deal as it seems. If you are used to payments, Cat has NO PLANS this year, so you will end up paying 10.9% or maybe higher interest rates. Yam has 2.9% for up to 60 mts which is really good. Then you have to add warranty for the Cat and cheapest I found was $1000 for it. So the 1,3995 plus freight plus warranty plus high interest loan rates, the Winder can actually be cheaper in long run.

The other issue with Cats, their resale is far lower then a comparable Winder and honestly they are not easy to sell where the Winder is pulling higher resale and more sought after.

Dan

Like I said, "Apples to Apples" We have to remember that Cat and Yamaha are the same entity to a degree. Both in bed to help each other, so like many have said that the Cats are $3k cheaper would be cutting their own throat so to speak.

Last edited:
Interest rates vary from dealer to dealer as far as I know. Deals in Quebec offered good rates sometimes. Who's opinion is that on resale or is there facts to support it.

Yeah I have a hard time believing that a winder is sought after or more valuable than a zr9k. People can ask what they want all day but whether or not they get it is another. And anyone who knows that they are the same sled would not pay more for a winder unless they really need it to say yamaha on the snow flap. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I have a hard time believing that a winder is sought after or more valuable than a zr9k. People can ask what they want all day but whether or not they get it is another. And anyone who knows that they are the same sled would not pay more for a winder unless they really need it to say yamaha on the snow flap. Just my 2 cents.
Hey up in Canada there worth more than gold, people love there Yamahas and will pay that money especially if it’s blue and has big Yamaha letters down the side, and they go faster up there also vs down here in the 48 , Always read this on the internet, I always hear from people near me if they go to Canada riding a Yamaha they will get stolen so you have to put a arctic cat cover on them. I had several friends lose their sleds up there, I stay on this side. , plus their cheaper down hear, great deals.

Hey up in Canada there worth more than gold, people love there Yamahas and will pay that money especially if it’s blue and has big Yamaha letters down the side, and they go faster up there also vs down here in the 48 , Always read this on the internet, I always hear from people near me if they go to Canada riding a Yamaha they will get stolen so you have to put a arctic cat cover on them. I had several friends lose their sleds up there, I stay on this side. , plus their cheaper down hear, great deals.
REALLY!! WOW !! Do stay on your side!!

I totally disagree with resale value of sidewinder vs 9000s. At least in Canada! A simple search on Kijiji supports that fact, I have seen winders for as low as $8k CDN!!! But its rare you see a 9000 for anything less than 10k. Most people complain about belt blowing on winders and noisy clutches which deters some. The cats don't seem to have that issue....I know every sled is different but that's just been my experience and what I have seen. Besides clutches, the sleds are the same and I find most of the 900os have the QS3s, but a lot of winders sold with the base shock packages go for much cheaper. I don't see many LEs around.

Upper gear bushing issue seems to be predominantly at Winder issue? Not hearing many Cat owners talking about it. As Richard says, every sled is different. I wonder if the gear bushing issue is affected by harmonics or resonance in jackshaft in Winders? Secondary clutch is Yam compared to Team on most Cats - weight is different.

The upper gear bushing has been an issue since 2012. My current 2019 is the 4th procross sled I have had, yet I've never experienced any real 'failures' because of that gear bushing. One of my other turbo procross sleds had upwards of 35000kms on it. I would change the upper gear preventatively every 6000-8000kms. Its only a $20 part. IF this were really labour intensive or expensive, I would be complaining more, but its relatively easy and cheap to change. I also think the previous automatic tensioner was a better design and maybe had less tension on the chain? At least you didn't have to deal with welding the roller!
IN general, I would much sooner do that (change upper gear) than rebuild a 2 stroke, or even mess with frozen steering/broken secondary springs on the new 900Turbo which everyone seems to think is a better alternative than the 998c chassis for some reason....

Agreed on list vs selling prices, so if they are asking $8k for a winder it could mean that is sold for much less. My comparison was at listed prices.

My 2019 Cross country 9000 has almost 4000kms, everything is mint on it and I ride hard. Never blown a belt but its not for lack of trying! lol

The upper gear bushing has been an issue since 2012. My current 2019 is the 4th procross sled I have had, yet I've never experienced any real 'failures' because of that gear bushing. One of my other turbo procross sleds had upwards of 35000kms on it. I would change the upper gear preventatively every 6000-8000kms. Its only a $20 part. IF this were really labour intensive or expensive, I would be complaining more, but its relatively easy and cheap to change. I also think the previous automatic tensioner was a better design and maybe had less tension on the chain? At least you didn't have to deal with welding the roller!
IN general, I would much sooner do that (change upper gear) than rebuild a 2 stroke, or even mess with frozen steering/broken secondary springs on the new 900Turbo which everyone seems to think is a better alternative than the 998c chassis for some reason....

Agreed on list vs selling prices, so if they are asking $8k for a winder it could mean that is sold for much less. My comparison was at listed prices.

My 2019 Cross country 9000 has almost 4000kms, everything is mint on it and I ride hard. Never blown a belt but its not for lack of trying! lol

Actually the auto tensioner over tightened the chain causing the issues. This is why many 1100t owners have gone to the manual tensioner like the yamaha’s have. The only thing that actually helped somewhat was the wear pad is more flexible than the steel roller so when the chain became extremely tight under acceleration it would just wear the pad out extremely fast.
My friend has an 1100t and his experience has convinced me to try the “loose chain theory” and it worked.

Back