• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Valve check?

Well I just put final bolt in after Spring project of a valve adjustment. All the intakes were fine, and all exhaust valves needed attention. Two of which I couldn't even measure, smallest feeler gauge was .002". So I ordered all exhaust shims from Yamaha ($9 each) I guess -.010" for the tight valves and I guessed correctly. I bought a few extra shims that were -.012" from what was in there. Well cranked sled over with switch off to get oil pressure to tensioner. Then hit kill switch and started like a charm. No leaks or missing bolts. Still not sure if this will fix my cold start issue, since its 60 degrees here. O 'well i'll wait until October. At least I can eliminate that valves need adjusting. All valves are perfect now. Big thanks to cannondale27 for advice. No special tools needed except Service Manual. Not sure time it took, worked on it few hours here and there after dinner. Anyone need advise on doing this job, hit me up. (did it with motor in sled)
Good job. did you tip the engine or hold the cam chain up tight to keep pressure on tensioner?

Good explanation at 39 minutes about valve clearances. This is essentially the same motor as the 998 I believe. They are also playing with cam timing which I think is pretty cool.

I adjusted the vales on my Yamaha YZ-400-F dirt bike .. it also is a 5 valve head.. You have to buy a bunch of shims from the Yamaha Dealer.. The WR-400 did not have as much power and top end as the YZ did .. YZ = Motocross WR= Enduro Trail bike . The Dealer told my friend who had a WR-400 that the only differance was the cam timing .. So he advanced the cams 1 tooth and it has the same Top end as a YZ
The WR has minimal lights wide ration transmissions and much softer springs in the Suspension ..

Diagnose tight valves? I will date myself. A compression test when cold will show low compression if exhaust valves are held open when cold. So would a cold cylinder leakdown test. Another old school test on exhaust valves. If you have a burnt exhaust valve. Or one that's open when it should not be is to hold a piece of card stock. Firm paper against the exhaust pipe.While engine is running. When a piston goes down on the intake stroke if the exhaust valve is is leaking it will pull the card stock against the pipe. On the intake stroke. If you have dual exhaust V8 or V6 you could even tell what side of the engine the valve is leaking on. Otherwise it always blows away from the pipe. Because when the piston is going down it is pulling Vacuum. If the valves are closed or sealed properly. It will just not suck towards the pipe. Just food for thought. I am very interested in this subject. Because in the last 3 years I have bought my first new sleds. Bought a 16 & 17 Vector. And wanting to know what to expect. When they get older.

Last edited:
Diagnose tight valves? I will date myself. A compression test when cold will show low compression if exhaust valves are held open when cold. So would a cold cylinder leakdown test. Another old school test on exhaust valves. If you have a burnt exhaust valve. Or one that's open when it should not be is to hold a piece of card stock. Firm paper against the exhaust pipe.While engine is running. When a piston goes down on the intake stroke if the exhaust valve is is leaking it will pull the card stock against the pipe. On the intake stroke. If you have dual exhaust V8 or V6 you could even tell what side of the engine the valve is leaking on. Otherwise it always blows away from the pipe. Because when the piston is going down it is pulling Vacuum. If the valves are closed or sealed properly. It will just not suck towards the pipe. Just food for thought. I am very interested in this subject. Because in the last 3 years I have bought my first new sleds. Bought a 16 & 17 Vector. And wanting to know what to expect. When they get older.
Nothing wrong with an "old school" approach. Wish we had more of that "old school" thought process while trouble shooting on TY. Some times the simple and some what low tech methods work as well or better than others.
Thank you.

I will admit that I did not read through the entire thread but I do recall reading something about valve adjustment being under warranty up to several thousand miles. Is this true and if so what is the max miles to get the warranty valve adjustment done.
I have a 2015 El Tigre 7000 with 7500 miles

I will admit that I did not read through the entire thread but I do recall reading something about valve adjustment being under warranty up to several thousand miles. Is this true and if so what is the max miles to get the warranty valve adjustment done.
I have a 2015 El Tigre 7000 with 7500 miles
I would say you would have to be under warranty and be having issues. Miles dont matter as far as warranty.

I had warranty and 18000km on machine when I needed valves adjusted . Yamaha said valve adjustment is maintenance . But in the book valve adjustment is not needed tell 40,000km. Yamaha said i was not covered. This went back a forth for a week. Then i found a person on this site that had 1/2 cost covered under warranty. He sent me his bill, i sent it to Yamaha and then they did the same for me. But I was fighting with them for several day and posting in several places, this all got there attention and they came threw.

remember what they did for yellowknife? they installed a primer and had a procedure to start it involving a generator/charger and heat blanket etc. and they still didn't look at the valves

Yamaha fully warrantied my valve adjustment at around 6000 miles I think in the 4th year of extended warranty. I wonder how much influence or difference the dealer makes when turning in warranty work.

Yamaha fully warrantied my valve adjustment at around 6000 miles I think in the 4th year of extended warranty. I wonder how much influence or difference the dealer makes when turning in warranty work.
so was there a running issue?

Yes, it wouldn't start cold without throttle and eventually it got to the point I had to hold the throttle just to get it warmed up. Once warmed up, it was fine. All of my exhaust valves were tight. I've put about 3000 miles on since the valve adjustment without any issues.

Yamaha is all over the place with this. I think dealer has a lot to do with getting covered. Because Yamaha only gives them about 4 hours to do it and it takes around 8. so a dealer is out $.

Back