• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Valve check?

Talked to dealer on my machine today he said the valve adjustment is not covered under warranty. He say adjustments are not cover under warranty. I tried to tell him no adjustments are required tell 40000km as per manual and i only have 18000km. I'm talking to Yamaha on this now. The bill is $724.ca. This is not my regular dealer as my dealer have closed up shop.

Last edited:
Talked to dealer on my machine today he said the valve adjustment is not covered under warranty. He say adjustments are not cover under warranty. I tried to tell him no adjustments are required tell 40000km as per manual and i only have 18000km. I'm talking to Yamaha on this now. The bill is $724.ca. This is not my regular dealer as my dealer have closed up shop.
If you keep running it with tight valves a new head will be needed. Think Yamaha would want to pay for that?

Allan getting closer. Couple shocks to do and then the valve cover is coming off for a check. Hopefully tomorrow.
DSC00981.JPG

Yamaha is not going to cover the adjustment of tight valves even when under warranty. Just talks to Yamaha head office.

In there Maintenance schedule they recommended valves be checked at 40,000km.

My machine vales went tight at 18000km and machine is still under warranty. They say the 40,000km is only a guide and valves could require adjustment at any time.

What in the hell Good is warranty and Maintenance schedule if there not going to follow it??

Yamaha is not going to cover the adjustment of tight valves even when under warranty. Just talks to Yamaha head office.

In there Maintenance schedule they recommended valves be checked at 40,000km.

My machine vales went tight at 18000km and machine is still under warranty. They say the 40,000km is only a guide and valves could require adjustment at any time.

What in the hell Good is warranty and Maintenance schedule if there not going to follow it??

Doesn’t surprise me they said that!!
Went a couple of rounds myself with corporate.
There’s more to this crappy idle, startup backfire bullshit then TIGHT VALVES. There running from something and not stepping up to take care of there existing viper customers.

Okay anyone know the exact procedure to remove cams? Sure looks like this will be the first time I really regret this Yamaha motor stuffed into Cat chassis. Any trick or just tear it down till engine can be moved or removed?
CamChain tensioner
DSC00988.JPG
DSC00989.JPG

,You must take away The Two Bolts in the back of the engine and you need to Tilt up the engine so you can Reach The Chain tensioner. After that you can remove the top of the engine to reach The cams.

[QUOTE

Conclusion 5 of 6 Exhaust are tighter than spec. NONE are tight. In my experience I will go through all the work of getting them in spec and it will do absolutely nothing as far as driveability. It will always bother me if I dont and that 2 mph more thing! But perhaps Yamaha knows that at 13000mi they will lose some and by 20000 they would actually be tight. Now the hard part.[/QUOTE]

Great info. this is what the dealer said to me the valves were tight (out of spec) He adjusted all 6 I think , well no more once i pick up machine.

I provided Yamaha with a invoice where a person got valves partly covered and Just talked to Yamaha Again and there going to pay 5.4 hours of the 8 hours labour. I want to thank a member of this forum that provided me with the invoice and I think its that what made Yamaha change there mine.

Last edited:
I provided Yamaha with a invoice where a person got valves partly covered and Just talked to Yamaha Again and there going to pay 5.4 hours of the 8 hours labour. I want to thank a member of the forum that provided me with the invoice and I think its that what made Yamaha change there mine.

Glad to hear you got some help!!
Yamaha new full well they were paying some on various warranty claims.
They should of stepped up initially without making you go through hoops.
Shame on them!!!!!!!

Back