• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

VECTOR MOTOR/CLUTCH NOISE?

Re: Vector noise

twomorestrokes said:
I hope everyone's talking about the same noise, because I'd hardly call this noise a ticking. It is a fairly loud knock, not a "tick". Loud enough to concern me a lot when I first heard it. I'm buying all of the explanations I'm hearing, but "tick" is definitely an understatement. Perhaps it is a harmless noise, but it IS going to be a scource of embarrassment this winter when I'm showing off my new Vector to my "brand X" friends. Oh well, the performance will have to speak for itself...

It definitely is nice not listening to that 2 stroke pipe blasting away under the belly pan though!

The noise has a definate clank to it, and it is NOT harmful. Thats why tho I want to find an inexpensive grunt tool, Ill buy the shims and take care of it. It is sort of funny that they have built one of the quietest sleds on the planet, and that unmasks other noises that have always been there, to a certain degree at least

I completely agree with Jack_Shaft. I have also covered this topic in another post about the noise. If there is no damage done, I dont understand why Yamaha would even consider covering it. Thats like telling Yamaha to take care of the heat shield noise from the exhaust....it didnt hurt anything but it was there....My 03 RX1 clutch was noisy as well.....no problems with that sled running...I raised the idle RPM a bit and that helped some...just my 2 cents.

twomorestrokes, I'm a mechanic myself with 25 years of experience and I know that since I was 17 that Yamaha were building up the best snowmobiles on the market. My first sled was a GPX 433 1975 and it was the year that I felt in love with all Yamaha products. I had many since then and none of them failed or let me down. But you are right for all the new RS products, the noise is annoying and it is the first time that I'm disappointed with my new Yamaha toy. I do believe that they will rectify anytime soon at this problem but for now just enjoy your new sled and just remember; that Yamaha are still the best on the planet to build recreational vehicles and you will still have the best sled this year on the trail.

:yam:

MrSled, I respectfully (you being site admin and all :Rockon: ) disagree, snowmobile manufactures should not only be held accountable for physical damage, they should also be accountable for fit, finish and design flaws. My suggestion to anyone considering a RS type sled is have your dealer correct this issue with the shim kit prior to taking delivery because you will be bothered by the “clanking“.

I respect you answer TRU...just trying to post what I feel they will do. If they take care of it great but I know this issue will continue....It quite cheap to fix....but who knows how they will handle it....

Noise

I agree, noise sucks. Yamaha, fix it. You have enough unhappy customers and bad rep from the original RX1 release that it would be worth a few $$$ to build some good PR instead of having us out there showing our new sleds to people and explaining about the "noise". Just my 2 cents.

Labor wise for a dealer, by the time the pull the belt, clutch, take it apart and shim it, put it all back together the dealer might have a warranty charge back to Yamaha of $100.
My sled is #954, but I will guess they made 5,000 3 cylinder sleds total.

That is 1/2 million dollars to fix all of them my friends

If I cant find a cheap enough primary break down tool, I am going to pull the clutch myself and ask my dealer if he will shim it for $25-40. I bet he will because I am a good customer.

I have ridden my 05 Venture 160 miles ,I have never noticed the noise sinse I started ridding it . When I just listened to it in my drive way I found it very annoying . I don't know if it is gone but no one asked me what 's that noise when we were riding . Next time we go I will try to remember to listen for it .It rained last nite so todays trip is off maybe next weekend .

The Vector i rode last Feb had 700 Mi on it, I put 200 more on it. It made the same noise that my new one makes. Every thing is in spec, the clutch chatter you are hearing is normal just more pronounced due to the 3 cyl four stroke. If you shim it it will be quieter but as soon as it wear's a bit you will hear it due to the nature of the beast. I am willing to live with it because i have ridden one enough to know how this motor run's and this is not much of a trade off. If you shim the spider you will need to be very careful not to get it to tight to the point of not having enough room for expandtion when the clutch get's warm or hot. I think you know what could happen. Mine workes super just the way it is, The noise is not that bad. Kevin

good perspective kviper.
but for me, wrenching is some of the fun. So i will fix it knowing full well that it may have to be done once a year or so as the buttons wear. I have tackled bigger problems, like how to get the v max sleds to handle AND be comfy. :D

Have fun Tork but don't get her to tight. Huw much snow in northern Wi a bud and i were talking about coming up Friday, will the trail's be open, I herd they were grooming in Minoqua. Maybe they were only panning to build a base. Just want to ride this new three holer. Kevin

kviper said:
Have fun Tork but don't get her to tight.
Tight is good in some things but not in a bound clutch :mrgreen:
Im in kenosha now but up at the cabin, last week end i did some road riding. Great in the early morning before the plows hit. They got about 10" that they hope will hold up thru a couple of warmer days. At Boulder and south it drops off pretty fast.
put this in your favorites, click on the trail reports and web cam. it is only a half hour from Minaqua so it is helpful info
http://www.skyviewlodge.com/

Thank's for the info and i hear ya on the tight thing. Kevin

Flipper said:
It is also significanlty louder on the RS sleds than on the RX sleds.

The PTO gear reduction helps to reduce the intensity of the engine pulses by the time it hits the primary clutch. Although the RS engine is splined on the PTO end, the slight backlash from the actual gears on the RX engine helps considerably more.

Also, by design, the 3 cylinder physically sends a more intense pulse to the primary clutch.

Keep on snowin' 8)

Back