• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want HOT hands?..It can be done!!! EDITED FIRST POST

sold my '06 bars last yr. then read about this mod. I bought some '06 bars this yr. after keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone had any troubles.
finally have warm hands. usually keep them on 2 bars, but when the temp drops too low I put them up to 3 or 4 bars for a little while.
great mod!

Read this thread a few days ago and finally dug my 06 bars out today and hooked them back up. Wourked great. Can't wait to try them in the U.P this weekend it's supposed to be Cold!

ROCKERDAN said:
mbro223 said:
Ok, now the dealer is telling me that if I put 06 bars on an 07 sled the heaters will destroy the CDI. Yes, CDI, not the ECU but then I wouldn't know one from the other. I thought the CDI had to do with ignition. Anyhow, I don't want to destroy either. The sled is sitting in the barn with the new 06 bars on it but I'm still nervous. Does anyone know at what point these grips would fry and kill my sled? Thanks....Mark.....Hartland Mi.

hey there....

If you are worried about it,then you probably shouldnt do this mod...noone here is gonna tell you to do it,if you are worried.....this is something each of us did and knew full well something might go wrong.....

heck,when i did it first,i just was testing output power and happend to plug in the old bars with new harness,then they got hot...and i said screw these new bars...the old ones with new harness are HOT...and i installed them,and have been riding it near 4000 miles with them like this....i always have them ON too,as i get cold hands easily....

when its real cold,ive run them at MIDWAY with thumb on FULL....if that didnt blow the ECU or anything else going WOT across lakes for miles and miles,then i doubt its gonna blow ever....

If you take the time to read thru all this....you will come to your own conclusion....and im guessing you will see many many many people early on didnt do it,as they were aprehensive just like yourself...

But after time,you see that just about all those people are now running this setup....

trust me,if i blew my ECU i would POST here,as I feel responsible for this entire thread and mod....

so,i dont ever want to make someone do this mod...but everyone i see on the trail,i tell them about it....and let then make there own decisions...after they feel my bars at -20 and see how hot they are....they usually go for it!..lol

let us know when you got hot hands...we will love to see another happy camper.

Dan
Well, u just got another happy customer!
We got about 8 inches of new stuff here last night so I dragged the sled out of the barn and did some road-ridin'. Started out with 1 bar and it was very warm. Of course, the ambient temp was about 28 so it wasn't very cold but I was more intersted in seeing if anything "blew". Maintained about 50mph for up to maybe 15 minutes and toggled between 1 and 4 bars. Had really warm hands and the sled is back in the barn safe and sound. Will do the "barectomy" on the other Apex today. Thanks for the input Dan. Our hands will remember u in da UP next week eh?

I've had mine up as high as 7-bars for about 10-minutes without issue, probably averaging about 40MPH. Yes, they got hot, but it was close to -30C and my outside fingers were cold after stopping and I had to warm them up! It worked!!!

ZR800EFI said:
I've had mine up as high as 7-bars for about 10-minutes without issue, probably averaging about 40MPH. Yes, they got hot, but it was close to -30C and my outside fingers were cold after stopping and I had to warm them up! It worked!!!
I think the only time I would turn mine up to 7 is to make breakfast! We don't get much 30 below around here but I found that even 0 with the 07 bar and my fingers were cold. After last night, I suspect my hands will never be an issue again! I'm going to sell my brand-new hand-gaurds as they don't fit the 06 bar and I don't need em' anyhow!
Mark

This is my first going in to this site. I owned severel Yammy's over the years. My wife and I both have the 2006 RTX. I just bought the handle bar upgrades from Gary's Yamaha. I tried just changing the wire on one like I read in this forum and I changed the bars on mine. It definatley is better with the old bars. My wife loved the change. I on the other hand thought the new ones were ok. But John up to Gary's Yamaha said that it is possible that it might burn out my wife's CDI box on her sled if I leave it wired just with the wire harness. Has anyone found this to be true.

Thanks, John

I will report in on Monday after I get my first ride with the mod done. I am hereby fully representing the full-throttle mountain crowd by the looks of it!

We do lots of full throttle pulls that will put all systems to the test. :)

j-mac said:
This is my first going in to this site. I owned severel Yammy's over the years. My wife and I both have the 2006 RTX. I just bought the handle bar upgrades from Gary's Yamaha. I tried just changing the wire on one like I read in this forum and I changed the bars on mine. It definatley is better with the old bars. My wife loved the change. I on the other hand thought the new ones were ok. But John up to Gary's Yamaha said that it is possible that it might burn out my wife's CDI box on her sled if I leave it wired just with the wire harness. Has anyone found this to be true.

Thanks, John

I will suggest that you read this entire thread...and then come to your own conclusion.....i know its alot,but i think when you are done reading you will feel better......and its not the CDI,its the ECU every dealer talks about.....

4000+miles,and no issues...except warm hands.!

Dan

Update on the post below
I just ordered one of these harnesses for my 06 Attak
kit number: 90891-50150
It is an update for the Phazers but folks on this thread say it works on bars 06 and later http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=51129
It turns out to be the same harness as the updated 06 bars but much longer..will return it Monday.While I had the wiring exposed I started the sled and measured the volts at idle .5 and up to the point the clutch engaged 10.4. It now makes sense, that for warmer hands the sled has to be ridden aggressively..

rockin.....

THIS PLAIN WORKS!!!!

No issues here, and ran 200km this weekend on the hills. Even my fiance who has cold hands was wearing her thin gloves on the trail, 100 kph, and had to turn the warmers way down.

Thanks again for the info, another happy camper here.

PistonBroke :Rockon:

Are the 06 bars the same as the 07 is so far as shape, lengh etc. is the only diff the warmers

energeezer said:
Are the 06 bars the same as the 07 is so far as shape, lengh etc. is the only diff the warmers
I have a pair of each sitting next to me as we speak. The 07 bars have alittle more "rise" to the bend than the o6. My 07 handguards wouldn't fit the 06 bars either. It appears the grips on the 06 come closer to the middle than do the 07's. But with the 06 bars on my 07 sled, I don't need the handguards!

more data

hey guys, just checking in.

I have inadvertantly torture tested the new warmer setup. heheh. I bumped the button to FULL MAXIMUM HAND SCORCHING POWER for at least a few minutes. No ill effects except my hand were just baking! I turned them down to 25% again, all is OK.

cheers y'all

PistonBroke

Back