• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want HOT hands?..It can be done!!! EDITED FIRST POST

Re: more data

PistonBroke said:
hey guys, just checking in.

I have inadvertantly torture tested the new warmer setup. heheh. I bumped the button to FULL MAXIMUM HAND SCORCHING POWER for at least a few minutes. No ill effects except my hand were just baking! I turned them down to 25% again, all is OK.
Likewise here. I've run mine on hi for about 5 minutes with no ill affects. The things get stupid-hot though! I run on one bar or no bar usually. If my hands get cold while we are taking a break or something, I may put em' up to 4 bars just to warm my hands up.

cheers y'all

PistonBroke

Just got back from my Yamaha dealer..he has two more sets left of the update kit.
I'll use just the harness...my bro wants the bars for his 03 RX-1...will they work on it?

apltx08 said:
I installed a wiring harness kit that YAM have for the PZ50 GT/MT, here's the part #90891-50150 on my '08 APEX, it CLIPS right on the original wiring no cutting or splicing wires, it takes about 20 minutes to install.

This kit converts the stock in SERIES connection to PARALEL wiring, it did IMPROVE the performance of I'd say 75% or so, theirs MORE heat generated for sure but still not as warm as my '05 was!!!

I was running on the weekend and I can NOW feel HEAT!!! threw my cloves which I couldn't before, they barely got warm before...

I took PICS of harness and installation I'll try to post them tommorow night...

P.S. I'd like to thank "yel_low" who gave me this tip!!! ;)!

I think this is the route I am going to follow this year, rather than try to find 2006 bars for a good price. The wiring harness mentioned above is around $15 and sounds like it provides a marked improvement over the stock setup, which I agree is miserable.

Metallicat said:
apltx08 said:
I installed a wiring harness kit that YAM have for the PZ50 GT/MT, here's the part #90891-50150 on my '08 APEX, it CLIPS right on the original wiring no cutting or splicing wires, it takes about 20 minutes to install.

This kit converts the stock in SERIES connection to PARALEL wiring, it did IMPROVE the performance of I'd say 75% or so, theirs MORE heat generated for sure but still not as warm as my '05 was!!!

I was running on the weekend and I can NOW feel HEAT!!! threw my cloves which I couldn't before, they barely got warm before...

I think this is the route I am going to follow this year, rather than try to find 2006 bars for a good price. The wiring harness mentioned above is around $15 and sounds like it provides a marked improvement over the stock setup, which I agree is miserable.

I don't wan't to discourage you but its not a 100% I'd say 50% after my riding season I can now comment on results and they're not all that great of improvement...I realy don't know what to do, we'll see if the '09 are better and if so maybe go that route and see what they did different???

Well then I need to find something else too! I am not going to suffer another year of cold hands on this darned thing! Maybe the hand warmer harness upgrade combined with the Skinz trail handguards and the warmest gloves I can find will do the trick?

apltx08 said:
Metallicat said:
apltx08 said:

I don't wan't to discourage you but its not a 100% I'd say 50% after my riding season I can now comment on results and they're not all that great of improvement...I realy don't know what to do, we'll see if the '09 are better and if so maybe go that route and see what they did different???

I sure hope they found a cure for '09 models so that we can cure our problem without having to go with '06 bars which I hate!

In '07 Yamaha changed the Apex hand grip wiring from series to parallel. There is nothing that you can change in the wiring of an '07 to improve upon that. I am assuming that the same is true of '08's

This is why the '06 bars (that were designed for use in the '06 series circuit) get so hot with '07 parallel wiring. Again I am assuming that this applies to the '08's as well.

If the '08's are wired in parallel like the '07's, then no wiring change is going to help. You will need a set of '06 bars plugged into your stock wiring harness.

Apltx08, this is probably why at the end of the season you weren't so sure the wiring change helped much. I can not see how it would have helped at all.

No wiring modification alone will help any '07 or '08 since they are already wired in parallel. '06 bars in an '07 or '08 is the ticket!

The only sleds that need the wiring changed are the '06's to convert from series to parallel. If you have an '06, do the wiring change but leave the original bars on.

Blue Dave said:
Apltx08, this is probably why at the end of the season you weren't so sure the wiring change helped much. I can not see how it would have helped at all.

No wiring modification alone will help any '07 or '08 since they are already wired in parallel. '06 bars in an '07 or '08 is the ticket!

The only sleds that need the wiring changed are the '06's to convert from series to parallel. If you have an '06, do the wiring change but leave the original bars on.

The thing is I hate the '06 bars due to design...

I haven't changed anything myself. I just put on gauntlets when it gets really cold.

I am hoping that the '09 bars have better heated grips that can be installed on my '07! Better yet, a free upgrade kit! (I won't hold my breath).

What is so frustrating is that Yamaha knows how to make hot grips. My Viper, both my SRX's, all my V-Maxes, basically all of the older two stroke models would practically burn your hands on high!

Back