• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WARNING!!! 08 Yamaha Nytro spindle broken!!

I'm still in the prosess of getting the sled looked at by my dealer and yamaha customer service reps, hope to know something by monday. the bad part is that i bought the nytro and a phazer new this year so my wife and I could go riding and I don't have a sled. My nytro has been at my dealer for 2 weeks now and winter is slowly passing me by, that is the part that stinks the most. Hope this can get corrected soon the only problem with this is that the replacement spindle will likely be the same as the one that broke and there is no way i'm going to ride the sled with the same spindle after what happened to me, next time i could be killed

Oh for the record I didn't hit anything - this broke jumping drifts in my own flat rock free hay field. The same drifts that I jumped over with my 1996 zrt, 1998 600xt, 2002 viper, and 2006 800renegade. I don't beat my sleds, what i was doing is what a snowmobile is for, right? ;)!

I was gonna say the same thing Nate007 did. Im no engineer by anymeans but could a plate be welded on to the outside and possibly one to the inside??? Would this reheating affect manufacture previous heat treating if these parts are treated? Just some thoughts would rather spend a few hours strengthening the spindles rather than waiting for it to break or for a update or possible recall just my thoughts.

09 Nytro

Picking up a 8DN belt today @ Yamaha and got on the topic of the Nytro as always, and was told that the spindle will be replaced on the Nytro for 09!

This reinforcement is a must. Good news for a lot of people including myself who will be purchasing a 09 Nytro!

jimmie d said:
I do not understand how this is not a safety recall!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

For ONE broken spindle on the forum??? Or did I miss some other broken ones??? Seen some bent on here but only the one broken that I can remember.

Re: 09 Nytro

NLVMAX said:
Picking up a 8DN belt today @ Yamaha and got on the topic of the Nytro as always, and was told that the spindle will be replaced on the Nytro for 09!

This reinforcement is a must. Good news for a lot of people including myself who will be purchasing a 09 Nytro!

And this helps the rest of us how? J/K, but I hope yamaha offers a free upgrade hit so the rest of us can get in on it. And while i'm dreaming..... *insert wish list here*

This is where I believe biggest most concentrated stress is from.The spindle is used as steering stop.As you can see its not a large flat contact area.This would put alot of stress in that area and could tweak it a little bit.A triangulated piece is very strong but if not perfect triangle can become very weak.Maybe heat treatment is off on some.Just a guess.This is off my Phazer no issue or problem.Inspecting spindles I noticed these marks both front and back of spindle but not cracks or bending.Will add this to my preflight checklist.A fix may be as simple as grinding the a-arms to match contact area of spindle.

Attachments

• Steering stops 002.jpg
    Steering stops 002.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 126
  • Steering stops 003.jpg
    Steering stops 003.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Steering stops 004.jpg
    Steering stops 004.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Steering stops 005.jpg
    Steering stops 005.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 123
Good point cannondale, I'll be checking this the next time I ride the nytro to see if I can find any marks. I know I have had the steering smacked sideways by a rock a time or two on me, could cause a problem down the road. Dealer found nothing at the 500 mile service (except where i smashed my sub frame into a rock :D).

Just to pop in here, I can tell you that in our race cars with aluminum rods you must be very careful not to get a nick in the rod when handling, a very small nick will cause failure, we also change the rods every 150 passes do to the aluminum fatigues with the heat cycles. Not that you are seeing heat cycles on the spindles but you are most certainly causing a large fatigue area with the steering stop. Just a thought.

Oh ya one other thing I am assuming that the spindles are cast which is even less strong than the billet we use on our rods.

yamaha has been totally terrible in getting my front end fixed. I haven't been able to ride the nytro at all since this happened the first week of jan. the sled is still in pieces at my dealer. the customer service reps are very rude, if you can get one of them to call you back at all. I have put 1700 miles on the phazer this winter, but I'm always looking at the spindles before I go on a ride. Thanks Yamaha for a $9300.00 nytro lemon! ;)!

I know my dealer would have just put a new spindle on and continued to work with Yamaha while I was out riding. Even if they had to take a spindle off of another sled if it was backordered.

Back