• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning, -16 late build Viper turbo breakdowns, bad rods.

This could just be the warning MPI put out about the misprogrammed controllers?
When I called mpi about the controller I was telling Jon about the time I had with the early build. He kinda hesitated and said something like you may have the last of the good ones for boost. Now I know what he meant.

Last edited:

if this will be a recall, will it be for all 16s that have the weaker rods (new engine)? or just the ones that have had "factory" turbos added. if not all, be aware down the road looking at used 16s if you want to turbo them.

The new mcx 190 kit uses a different turbocharger a Mitsu 14T and must be checked and adjusted on the wastegate rod some kits are overboosting straight from the box.

One guy posting an email does not make a disaster. My Phazer blew the MCX box and I ordered one from MCX overseas, and it came with a program that was way lean mid range. When I complained to an American supplier for MCX they told me I had to pay to have it reflashed......lol. So I put an adjustable boost enabled automotive fuel regulator on and ran it. If I had not had an AFR gauge I might be here saying the Phazer had bad rods.............. Still fuming over MCX service on that deal it was not a cheap controller.

Then again there might be an issue but why only MCX and why are we not hearing about it through other channels?

It's the real deal. The new rods have been pressure tested and it is way weaker. There have been some broken rods. But they are testing like crazy to figure it out. But it seems like a stronger rod is the solution.

The 190kit have not been failing, but its still under the loop.

As said, this is not the boy who cried wolf.

First picture is last years rod, that hade 11tons of pressure on it, second picture is 2016 rod with 7ton of pressure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 368
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 382
As said, this is not the boy who cried wolf.

First picture is last years rod, that hade 11tons of pressure on it, second picture is 2016 rod with 7ton of pressure.[/QUOTE

See if read this correct. You bent these rods in a press and not in an engine.

Not me who did this, but they have been bent in a press yes.

Back