• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning, -16 late build Viper turbo breakdowns, bad rods.

Update. After more testing by McXpress, it's shows the rods are giving in with the 190hp kit also. Anybody in the the US or Canada have any problems yet?

Update. After more testing by McXpress, it's shows the rods are giving in with the 190hp kit also. Anybody in the the US or Canada have any problems yet?
Wooooow.
They just broke some rod whit only 190hp???????

Geez sure makes the old RX more likeable 12yrs and better than new, sure hope it works out well for you guys

I hear ya. Ever since this relationship with Arctic Cat started, other decisions have been made that are making consumers question the Yamaha reputation for reliability. Rods are never a place to go cheap.

Okay so maybe I am just a tad too cynical and this is by no means meant to disparage Sunvang or any other person who is trying to spread information to all of us fellow riders. That is absolutely appreciated.

However everyone seems to be getting their panties in a wad over an email from a 3rd party aftermarket turbo supplier. Has anyone seen or even heard of a motor that is having issues? How do we know that 7 tons or 13 tons is not enough to survive use in an engine? I am not saying it is but then again I don't actually know. I am pretty sure that as Yamaha is using this motor on multiple platforms right now, that even if the snowmobile division did not do its due diligence that the watercraft or more importantly the ATV/Motorsports division did. They are putting a lot of effort into the new side by side and am pretty sure they did an abundance of destructive testing and tolerance tests. Could there be an issue with manufacturing? Maybe but through use of the Google machine the only mention I could find about this issue is this exact thread. We also need to remember that Arctic Cat has a bunch of these motors as well so the problem should be on multiple fronts.

Once there is some actual carnage that can be examined then we can move from there and work towards a resolution if one is actually needed. I have an MPI turbo that was installed by Yamaha and a 3 year warranty. If it blows up then they will be fixing it.

Wooooow.
They just broke some rod whit only 190hp???????
Email from McXpress after asking how the testing of the 190hp kits are doing:

"Workshop mechanics have just ended their testing in the dyno, but unfortunately, they didnt hold! Erik will release info shortly. We are figuring out how to fix this problem.

Okay so maybe I am just a tad too cynical and this is by no means meant to disparage Sunvang or any other person who is trying to spread information to all of us fellow riders. That is absolutely appreciated.

However everyone seems to be getting their panties in a wad over an email from a 3rd party aftermarket turbo supplier. Has anyone seen or even heard of a motor that is having issues? How do we know that 7 tons or 13 tons is not enough to survive use in an engine? I am not saying it is but then again I don't actually know. I am pretty sure that as Yamaha is using this motor on multiple platforms right now, that even if the snowmobile division did not do its due diligence that the watercraft or more importantly the ATV/Motorsports division did. They are putting a lot of effort into the new side by side and am pretty sure they did an abundance of destructive testing and tolerance tests. Could there be an issue with manufacturing? Maybe but through use of the Google machine the only mention I could find about this issue is this exact thread. We also need to remember that Arctic Cat has a bunch of these motors as well so the problem should be on multiple fronts.

Once there is some actual carnage that can be examined then we can move from there and work towards a resolution if one is actually needed. I have an MPI turbo that was installed by Yamaha and a 3 year warranty. If it blows up then they will be fixing it.
I belive all the AC models with Yamaha engines still use the old one.

Agreed, I had a MCX control box sent to me a couple yeas ago that would have blown up my Phazer had I not checked AFR and put on an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. With that in mind, once I hear this from MPI who has done countless turbos on 2016 engine (see new side by side) I will believe it. Be very careful people bashing a major vendor, if you cannot prove it you might get sued....it has happened before.

McXpress Sweden did blow up another engine today in the dyno with 190hp kit in the 2016 Viper. Rods are soft as butter.

Back